Ria's Collection: Our family's favourite recipe - Mamma's Baked Chicken

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Our family's favourite recipe - Mamma's Baked Chicken

I must say posting this recipe completes the reason behind the name of my blog . I 'collect' all the favourite tried and tested recipes and that's what y'all have been seeing all this while :) I must say this recipe tops my 'collections' list! It's been a favourite preparation in our family!! :) I made it for the finals of 'Pachakarani 2008' and my mom made it for 'Pachakaratnam 2009'...and yeah she won the title!

The best part is that it is so so simple. A quick and easy recipe. It was the master piece of Mamma - my paternal grandmom. And everybody who has tasted it has fell in love with it! :) It's a must try! :) My bro seems to be the world's biggest fan of it! He sniffs around the whole house whenever we make it for dinner and he has an early dinner that day :P

So here's our family's treasured recipe :) and I have no idea why I delayed posting it for so long! :P

Baked Chicken with pan fried potatoes, boiled veggies and brown sauce

Ingredients:

Whole chicken with skin - 1 kg ( Can cut them into 8 pieces and use them as well )
Ginger paste -1 tbsp
Pepper powder-2 tsp
Soya sauce-3 tbsp
Salt- to taste ( but be careful since soya sauce is salty)

Marinate the chicken with the above ingredients and leave it aside for 2 hours.
Bake at 180 degrees for 1 hour turning the chicken twice in between and pouring the sauce which forms over it.

Brown Sauce:

Gravy
Cornflour-2 tbsp
Water- 1 cup
Pepper -to taste

Once the chicken is baked, there will be a lot of gravy inside the baking dish.
Pour it into a sauce pan and heat it. Add cornflour diluted in water to the gravy.
Bring to a boil. Check for seasoning.
Pour it into a sauce boat & serve hot with chicken.

Serving suggestions:

Boiled veggies like peas, cauliflower,tomatoes.
Mashed potatoes.
Boiled , halved and pan fried potatoes.
Onions cut into rings and sauteed.
Garlic bread or white bread.


I think I'll show y'all some pics now :)






Everytime we go visiting our relatives ( strewn all across S.India :P ) Amma ends up baking this :) It is every body's favourite now! :)


Must say Amma is getting too much attention these days!! :P I must do SOMETHING!! :P
So ppl , try this at home and I'm sure you will like it!

P.S. Appan says Amma always bribes him with this dish - Amma has this habit of forgetting things especially on the days when she bake this. It will be ' green peas' in the begining and Appan will be excited & happy to go out and get it only BECAUSE he loves this dish. And once he is back she will say O! There's no bread too!!! AGAIN he will go and get it! And THEN O!no! no potatoes! :P

I also have to mention Appan never goes grocery shopping EXCEPT for this :D

-Ria











21 Comments:

SindhuBhairavi said...

thats a very simple dish !! will try it out.. :) actually feel like making it right now!

You have a very homely way of telling the recipe.. thanks a lot for sharing this.

i can see that you have a sweet family too.. that u competed for pachakarani i knew only now!

take care.. and all the best for your marriage!!! :)

CHAITRA said...

First time here!!All your recipes are amazing with tempting photographs.Congratulations to your mom!!!
Drop in sometime to my place.

Nazish Rahman said...

its a lovely blog and amazing recipes are posted here by u...will definitely try them.

N ya congrats to u n your mom for winning that competition!!!

Divya Kudua said...

My hubby is drooling over that chicken and is giving me looks:)..seems like I'll have to make it sooooon:).

Your mom looks so proud and jubilant:)

Shabs.. said...

Hi Ria, loved reading ur write ups and the thx alot for the recipe....my husband has been asking me to make a baked chicken (he thinks Im chef and i cancook anything he says!!)....I told him i got no recipe and got no clue how to make it. Anyway this looks fabulous and droolworthy:). When I Plan to make a Baked chicken, im trying this...yummy....
Thx alot again for ur award winning recipe.

Smitha said...

Hey ria,
Does the chicken have any stuffing???
It looks great Ria.
Pinne, Congrats to amma. My, my she must be an awesome cook. So u get it from her right??Mom and daughter in the lime light. Cool.

ARUNA said...

Lovely write-up and that's a gorgeous dish.....and so nice to know ur mom won the competition!!!

Zaara said...

Congrats to your mom! She looks so pretty and elegant too BTW. Next time I try baked chicken, I'm going to try this recipe for sure! OMG, all your recipes are soooo good, i think my blog is just going to turn into a collection of YOUR recipes LOL!

Parita said...

Congratulations to your mom!! dish looks all colorful!

Trupti said...

that's very simple & delicious dish. Congratulations to ur mom.


Trupti
Fashion Deals For Less

Ria said...

Thanks y'all so much!!! :)

Smita-It has no stuffing but tastes equally good! :)

Justbeanme said...

WOW,The Celebrity momz celebrity gal....!!!I will bake this for sure.. Love the stories u write

Rachel Sonny Abraham said...

Lovely blog Ria! Your mum and you are just too good....I have seen her on TV (stuffed buns recipe)...you are doing a great job of compiling good and useful recipes...keep it up!

Rachel Sonny Abraham said...

Baked chicken finally made and loved by all at home, Ria! Thanks for a very good recipe!

maya said...

Hi Ria, am in the middle of making this dish and just realised that my chicken is skinless. will it be a problem?? pleas let me know..

Ria Mathew said...

Maya, don't worry! The taste for this dish,mostly depends on the skin but it doesn't mean your dish would be tasteless! Go ahead! :)

maya said...

Thank you, so much, Ria..sorry i couldnt thank you for your reply. i did make it and it came out really well. though i stood right next to the oven the 40 minutes it took to bake my chicken..thanks a ton..

uniquemedley said...

I baked this Ria & itwas too good. It has become our favourite too. Thanks a ton...

Peekaboo said...

Hi Ria,
I tried to bake this today.I don't know where I went wrong.It was not cooked in the inside even after 1hr.I turned twice at 20 and 40 mins.Should I cover it with foil?And should I make incisions over the chicken for the marinade to sweep in?I have never baked a chicken before.Please help..And there was very little gravy even though it tasted great..
Thanks..

Peekaboo said...

Hi,
I kept it again in the oven for 20 mins.Now there is more gravy but still undone..And when I tried to cut it the juice was oozing out from the point where my knife touched the chicken.Does it happen?

Ria Mathew said...

Hey Peekaboo, what temperature did you set the oven to? A chicken should be juicy but the juices should run clear and not bloody when pierced at the thickest part of the thigh. Do you have a thermometer to check the temperature? I have a feeling your oven is running a bit cold.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...