Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Kothu Parota - Shredded Parota sauteed with mixed veggies and egg

Sometimes you might be in a hurry or in a mood to finish the leftovers in the form of parotas,rotis etc...esp a fridge clean-up session :) This dish is highly versatile where in any form of flatbreads can be used to dish out a wholesome meal in just a few minutes. We had some parotas lying in our fridge from the previous day's lunch+ some veggies. So Amma came up with the brilliant idea of making 'Kothu Parota'. You can eat it as is or serve with some veg/non veg curry.
Parota is a highly flaky slightly crisp flatbread made out of All Purpose Flour/Maida and is found in every hotel in Kerala. It is slightly oily but very very tasty!! Many companies have come up with frozen parota's but nothing beats the freshly made one! That applies to everything!! :)
Kothu Parota
Recipe by my mom

Parota- 10 (you can either use fresh ones or frozen, if it is frozen prepare them according to the instructions on the packet)
Ginger garlic paste-2 tbsp
Carrot-100g, grated /chopped fine
French beans-100 grams, chopped fine
Cabbage-100 g,chopped fine
Green chillies- 2-3 ,slitted lenghtwise
Soya sauce- 1-2 tbsp
Salt- to taste
Oil-3-4 tbsp
Eggs-2

Method:
  • Snip the parotas using a kitchen knife into bite sized pieces.
  • Heat oil, saute ginger garlic paste, add the veggies and stir well. Keep it covered and cook for approx. 3-4 mins.
  • Add the parota pieces and mix well.
  • Add soya sauce& salt and mix well.
  • Scramble eggs separately and garnish the 'kothu parota' with it.
  • Serve hot!
The scrambled egg is highly optional ! We started using it because my brother needs it with everything! :)

Update(23/7):
I have a happy news to share today!! My 'Followers' are 50 in number today! YAY to all you guys!! Thanks for making my day!!!

Have a great day!!

21 Comments:

lissie said...

Hi Ria, thanks for visiting my blog! you have a nice space!
I love kothuporota...adding soya sauce is new to me.

Divya Kudua said...

I've heard so much about Kothu paratha[the non-veg ones]from my hubby and his friends.They've had it from thattu kadas and feel that no restaurant can match its taste.I badly wanted to taste it and once ordered a veggie one from a restaurant.Honest,I didn't like it.I like your version though I would try making it sans the egg..:)

Ann said...

We all love kothu parotta here...and this helps we women a lot..quickfix..
Yours look totally yummy and the photogaph says it all !!

Nithya said...

Looks too good and tempting. You pics are rocking. :)

Priya said...

Oh how I miss kothu porotta - that is the real kannur thattukada food.Ria post the recipe for arikadukka also when you get time .You are really into cooking these days alle :)

Suparna said...

Thanks for visiting Ria :)
Nice clicks :) :)
mixed veggies n scrambled eggs with shredded parota seems a great n tasty filler!! :)

Maria said...

kothu parotta recipe looks so simple..I havent made it yet. I used to love the kothu porotta my bro used to get from thattukada. Btw, I loved that pic of scrambled egg, it looks like cream cheese, beautiful pic dear :)

Aparna said...

much about this on Indian food blogs, I think I should try it. Sounds good.

Abhilash said...

Ria,

That was really a good recipe.
I have previously eaten a similar one in cochin. It is better known here as chilly parota. But it looks a bit reddish and has masala within it.

The difference is we have to prepare the masla and the greavy should be thick like for a chana masala. You can then repeat your process for the parota. Here parota after being cut is gently fried and then added.

It tasts awsome with curd or salad. But yours is also good, once I have it tasted. I will try it at home.

I am not a cooky like you but I often try food and its tasty, I never say.. my room mates say it.

:) Thanks for sharing info

Ivy said...

Great way using your leftovers. The flatbread sounds like the Greek pita.

Parita said...

Delicious, i love kothu parathas especially with veggies, havent made then since a long time

Chef Jeena said...

This looks delicious Ria I love your food blog. :-)

Vandana Sarah said...

Looks good Ria .. I have never seen Kothu Parota ..look soooo beautiful ...

I love Kothu parota ... but you managed to make it look good too

Varsha Vipins said...

Kothu porotta yummm..I ve heard they add keema gravy n all in street stalls..eggs looks yum on it da..:)

Andhra Flavors said...

I love kothu parath yours is looks delicious. first time to your blog, you have a wonderful space

Mr. eikooC ysbmulC said...

your blog looks great!
I should try to cook one of your recipes!

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] said...

Never heard about this kind of paratha, but it sure looks yumm!!

Congratulations on 50 followers. With 50 posts too! :)

Jennifer said...

The last few days a few different people been asking me if I have had this... By accident I come upon your blog! Wow this looks mmm mmm tasty!

Smitha said...

Nalla recipe Ria,
It is a quick fix.

Deepal said...

hey ria,

i've been lookin for a kothu parotha recipe for so long..

let me tell u a lil bit of my history, lolz..
m born n brought up in mumbai, in chennai after marriage frm last 2 yrs n now moving back to mumbai..
my hubby just loves d kothu parotha v get here on d streets and i wanna learn n knw d key ingredients in tis dish so tht i can make it for him n he doesnt :)

and ya can i make tis dish without eggs? and without d soy sauce twist?
i mean, wanna try an authentic one.. can u pleaseeeee help me with tis??

waiting for ur reply..

love,
Deepal :)))

Ria Mathew said...

Deepal- You can surely go ahead without eggs and soya sauce. But I really like the soya taste in it, it just brightens up the dish. And sadly, I have never had this from the Chennai streets, or else I would have tried to get a glimpse of what all that went into theirs.

In my hometown, Kannur, we got it one particular fast food restaurant. And they add soya sauce, that's how we started adding it in :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...