My mom, Susy Mathew a caterer for the past 10 years was featured on a Travelogue by Surya Tv on 12.09.09 The video's are in our regional language, Malayalam. She demonstrated two recipes:
1.Stuffed Bun (recipe follows)
This has been a favourite with all who ever got a taste of it! Super easy and highly satisfying!!
2.Potato Tikki(recipe follows)
These small golden balls are filled with an unusual filling, but trust me , they just melt in your mouth. Try to serve them hot! A perfect starter!
Yields 15 buns
For the dough:
Dry yeast-1 tbsp
Salt to taste
All purpose flour-2 cups
Egg white-1,for egg wash
White sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water with 1/2tbsp sugar and 1/2 tbsp of all purpose flour. Leave aside for 10 minutes.
- Boil the milk and allow to cool down till it is warm to touch. Add sugar, oil and salt.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon till the sugar dissolves and add 1 cup flour and mix to a smooth paste.
- Add the beaten egg, yeast and mix.Add the remaining flour and mix well till it forms a smooth dough.
- Knead well for 10 mins.[We knead it using our hands]
- Let it rest till it doubles in volume.
- Punch down the dough lightly using your palm and divide them equally.
- Flatten them into small discs and fill them with 1 tbsp of the filling. Re-shape them into a ball.Sprinkle the top with sesame seeds.
- Let it prove for another 20 mins.
- Bake them in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees for 10 mins. When it starts to brown, give them an egg wash using 1 slightly beaten egg white.
Spicy chicken filling
Boneless chicken-200g, boiled and shredded
Onions-4 big, finely chopped
Ginger garlic paste-1 tbsp
Chilli powder-1/2 -1tbsp [depending on your spice level]
Coriander powder-1/2 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Heat oil, add the ginger garlic paste and saute till it gives out a nice aroma.
- Add the onions. Saute them till soft and transparent.
- Reduce the heat and add the powders and mix well for 2 mins.
- Add the shredded chicken and mix well.
- Keep it off the fire and let it cool.
- Use it for filling the dough.
Pepper powder 1 tsp
Coconut 2 cups
Green chilles 4
Shallots 4 (if not available, dice up a small onion)
Salt to taste
- Steam, peel and mash the potatoes. Add salt& pepper to it. (Should be a bit salty only then will it have enough salt after dipping in breadcrumbs and frying)
- Grind coconut, green chillies, shallots and salt to a chutney using a mixie.
- Make small balls out of the potatoes, flatten, fill the centre with chutney & seal it .Roll into a smooth ball.
- Dip in beaten egg and roll in breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry and serve hot.
I am so so happy for her! She really really deserved it! MUAH!!
Check this space soon to see this blogger ( thats me! :P) in action :)