Friday, June 4, 2010

COCONUT-TOMATO PULAO & KASHMIRI CHICKEN... 100 days of togetherness


This post was due long back, but it never happend. We just completed our 100 days of togetherness  a few days ago and I made this rice and chicken curry to celebrate it. I thought of giving sweets and desserts a break for that day :-) I needed more curry & rice! :)

These days I am quite busy with a handful of photography projects and recipe development and I feel that I am neglecting my blog. Today was one such day, being held up in the kitchen for most part of the day. Usually after lunch, I sit back and relax watching cookery videos on the web. But today, I thought of writing up a post before someone asks me 'why don't you blog more often?'. I would dread such a question anyday!


Now that my birthday has come and gone and I have my feet firm back on the ground, I am back to the same old routine at home. Sometime's I feel I need to change the way I cook, introduce a lot more fun ingredients and methods. But, at the same time, I am sometimes very skeptical about me liking it.It's because I rarely like to eat what I cook .For all those who are looking for a new,simple recipe for curry and rice, try this out, I am sure you all would like it. If I cooked it and I liked it, I am sure you all would agree with me :)

COCONUT -TOMATO PULAO

Ingredients:

Basmathi rice-1/2 kg (when I measured it was 3 1/2 cups for me)
Tomatoes-1/2 kg
Thick coconut milk *-of 1/2 a coconut
Butter-50 g
Cardamom, Cinnamon,Peppercorn,Bayleaf-5g each
Onions-200g,chopped
Garlic and green chilli paste-1 tbsp each
Salt-to taste
Coriander leaves-1 small bunch



Method:
  • Blanch the tomatoes , puree it in a blender and mix it with the coconut milk.[This mixture should be double the quantity of rice i.e; 7 cups]
  • Heat the pan and melt butter. Add the whole spices to it and cook for 30 secs.
  • Add in the onions,green chilli and garlic paste and saute it till soft.
  • Add in the rice and fry for 2-3 mins.
  • Pour in the tomato-coconut milk mixture ,check for salt and cook till done.
  • Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot!
 * I buy canned coconut milk and I find it very very strong. So I usually use 1/4 cup of canned coconut milk and add 11/4 cups of water to  make it a total of 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk.So if you are using canned coconut milk, adjust it according to your taste.

KASHMIRI CHICKEN


Ingredients:

1.Chicken-1 kg, cut and cleaned
   Turmeric powder-1 tsp
   Salt-to taste
2.Oil-1/2 cup
3.Onions-2 cup, chopped
4.Garlic paste-1 tbsp
   Ginger paste-1 tsp
5.Red chilli powder-1tsp
   Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
   Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
   Fenugreek seeds-1/4 tsp
6.Tomatoes-1 cup,chopped
7.Cashewnut paste-1 tbsp (soak 1 tbsp nuts in warm water for 10 mins and grind to a smooth paste)
8.Garam masala-1 tsp
9.Water-1 cup (or as much as you need)


Method:
  • Marinate chicken pieces with turmeric and salt.
  • Grind no.5 ingredients to a smooth paste.Mix it in 1/4 cup water and set aside.
  • Heat oil, add no.3 & 4 and saute it.
  • Add the ground masala ,mix well and cook till raw smell goes.
  • Add the tomatoes and cook till oil separates from the masala.
  • Add in the cashewnut paste and salt to taste. Give it a quick mix.
  • Add in the chicken pieces and cook till done. 
  • Add 1 cup of water and cook till done.
  • Add in garam masala and give it a final mix and serve.
Verdict:

This was seriously good stuff! That's all I can say. The flavours were unique and subtle.The coconut milk just boosts up the flavours of the rice.The chicken curry was creamy and delicious .I love adding ground cashewnut to the curry, because it lends a nice creamy texture and also lends a beautiful taste.


Will I make it again? Of course,Yes! :)

Have a great weekend!

17 Comments:

Rach said...

The Pulav and chicken makes a great combo. The kashmiri chicken looks so glossy and nice :)

Magdalena said...

Yummy...beautiful pictures, the recipe looks appealing. I have one bad experiment with pulao, but your recipe is completely different. Glad to find your blog and have a good weekend !

Priti said...

Yummy combo...both looks delicious...wish you guys many yrs ahead

Rachel said...

I just really really love the pictures...

Rachel said...

I just really really love the pictures...

Priya said...

Congrats for the Great goin...Pulao n chicken curry luks so tempting to try..Thank you for the concern of giving exact recipe...and do blog more and we wish to come here more often :P

An Open Book said...

Even i rarely enjoy eating what i cook ;)
and i get sooo bored with the same combinations...

Parita said...

Congratulations !!! Stunning pics!

Suma Rowjee said...

Congrats Ria!! Pulav sounds too good, fab pics!!

Swapna said...

Kashmiri chicken is one of my fav chicken curry... I usually make it and recipe is almost similar to your's :)

Shabs.. said...

Love the spice pics...as u said, i hate what i cook too...lol...thats y i keep tring new recipes,i guess its the same withall...and how much i love to eat what others cook.....lol..

Tina said...

Hey Ria - Tried the Coconut-tomato pulao & I must admit that it tasted real good. It was done in less than 20 mins. Loved the subtle tangy flavour mixed with fresh spices.

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

hey dear wonderful looking rice and yummylious chickrn...lovel pics...
first time here...u have a lovely space...just started blogging..and love to add u in my list..
ur comments/suggestions r highly appreciated..happy blogging...following u>>>>>>



sanyuktagour(bayes)
http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

Kairali sisters said...

Ria
First time here ans came to know about you from Yummy team..
Wow, we love your space..Amazing recipes and clicks...Great going friend..

Love
Kairali sisters

Kairali sisters said...

Hello Ria,

yes we did use her recipe but instead of all purpose flour (maida), we used cake flour (swans brand). It did come out good..

Love
Kairali sisters

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] said...

Congratulations, Ria <3
The chicken and rice both look delicious :)

divya said...

First time here Wow, we love your space..Amazing recipes and clicks....happy blogging...following u....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...