This post was due long back, but it never happend. We just completed our 100 days of togetherness a few days ago and I made this rice and chicken curry to celebrate it. I thought of giving sweets and desserts a break for that day :-) I needed more curry & rice! :)
These days I am quite busy with a handful of photography projects and recipe development and I feel that I am neglecting my blog. Today was one such day, being held up in the kitchen for most part of the day. Usually after lunch, I sit back and relax watching cookery videos on the web. But today, I thought of writing up a post before someone asks me 'why don't you blog more often?'. I would dread such a question anyday!
Now that my birthday has come and gone and I have my feet firm back on the ground, I am back to the same old routine at home. Sometime's I feel I need to change the way I cook, introduce a lot more fun ingredients and methods. But, at the same time, I am sometimes very skeptical about me liking it.It's because I rarely like to eat what I cook .For all those who are looking for a new,simple recipe for curry and rice, try this out, I am sure you all would like it. If I cooked it and I liked it, I am sure you all would agree with me :)
COCONUT -TOMATO PULAO
Basmathi rice-1/2 kg (when I measured it was 3 1/2 cups for me)
Thick coconut milk *-of 1/2 a coconut
Cardamom, Cinnamon,Peppercorn,Bayleaf-5g each
Garlic and green chilli paste-1 tbsp each
Coriander leaves-1 small bunch
- Blanch the tomatoes , puree it in a blender and mix it with the coconut milk.[This mixture should be double the quantity of rice i.e; 7 cups]
- Heat the pan and melt butter. Add the whole spices to it and cook for 30 secs.
- Add in the onions,green chilli and garlic paste and saute it till soft.
- Add in the rice and fry for 2-3 mins.
- Pour in the tomato-coconut milk mixture ,check for salt and cook till done.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot!
1.Chicken-1 kg, cut and cleaned
Turmeric powder-1 tsp
3.Onions-2 cup, chopped
4.Garlic paste-1 tbsp
Ginger paste-1 tsp
5.Red chilli powder-1tsp
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds-1/4 tsp
7.Cashewnut paste-1 tbsp (soak 1 tbsp nuts in warm water for 10 mins and grind to a smooth paste)
8.Garam masala-1 tsp
9.Water-1 cup (or as much as you need)
- Marinate chicken pieces with turmeric and salt.
- Grind no.5 ingredients to a smooth paste.Mix it in 1/4 cup water and set aside.
- Heat oil, add no.3 & 4 and saute it.
- Add the ground masala ,mix well and cook till raw smell goes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till oil separates from the masala.
- Add in the cashewnut paste and salt to taste. Give it a quick mix.
- Add in the chicken pieces and cook till done.
- Add 1 cup of water and cook till done.
- Add in garam masala and give it a final mix and serve.
This was seriously good stuff! That's all I can say. The flavours were unique and subtle.The coconut milk just boosts up the flavours of the rice.The chicken curry was creamy and delicious .I love adding ground cashewnut to the curry, because it lends a nice creamy texture and also lends a beautiful taste.
Will I make it again? Of course,Yes! :)
Have a great weekend!