Thursday, September 30, 2010

12 layered CHATTI PATHIRI / MALAYALEE'S LASAGNA...made in a saucepan!

 O
ur family friend, Shoyeba aunty, can whip up some real good curries,biriyanis and pathiri's. She always made it a point that she sent some food home whenever I came back from hostel. It could be her special chicken fry or biriyani. Whatever it was, me and my li'l brother attack it without looking left or right.

During Ramadan, she sends us food almost every week.And the hightlight always have been 'Chatti Pathiri'. It intrigued me. When we cut into it, they were multiple layers of pancakes and meat filling. It was very aromatic. I could never figure out how she managed to make it so even.

So, I decided to ask her to teach me how to make it...and she obliged. When I saw her making it, it was one of the simplest things you could ever make! But the end result looks like you were slogging in the kitchen all day long.

I have made it many times already, and I can say I have mastered it. Whenever I serve it at dinner tables, I get a very very good feedback about it. I have heard people going 'mmmm' over it :-) It makes the cook and oh yes,the blogger in me very happy! There is nothing like making one of the simplest thing ever and getting such rave reviews over it.

You can bake it in a cake tin or cook them in a saucepan, like how I did. I love doing it that way!
About the name 'Malayalee's Lasagna' , it was a personal choice as this dish is our own, from the Malabar region of Kerala, India.





CHATTI PATHIRI / MALAYALEE'S LASAGNA
My own recipe
Prep Time: 10 mins     Cooking Time :25 mins   
Serves:8 adults




Ingredients:
For the filling:
Minced chicken/Boiled & shredded chicken- 500g
Coriander powder-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Salt-to taste
Onions-2 big, chopped

Ginger - 1" piece
Garlic paste- 6-7 cloves

Green chillies- 4, or to taste
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves-1 bunch,chopped
Oil-  2 tbsp(preferably coconut oil for the authentic taste)
Ghee- 1 tsp

For the pancakes:
Flour/Maida- 2 c
Egg-1
Water- as needed
Salt- to taste.

For assembly:
Coconut milk- 400 ml ( I used canned coconut milk, so it was thick. You can use thin or thick milk)
Coriander leaves- 4 sprigs, chopped
Ghee/Clarified Butter- 2 tsp

Method:
For the filling:

  • Cook the mince with coriander powder and salt till tender & all the water is evaporated.
  • Grind ginger, garlic and green chillies together.
  • Heat oil, add the onions and saute it till transparent. Add the ground paste and stir for a while.
  • Add the cooked mince and mix well. Add in the powders and chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
  • Check for salt.Drizzle the ghee, mix well.Keep aside.


For the pancakes:
  • Whisk together the flour, salt , egg and enough water to make a smooth , not-so- thick batter.
  • Line your work area with newspaper or parchment paper.
  • Heat a flat bottomed pan, pour a ladle full of batter over it and make thin crepe/dosa/pancakes out of it.You can eyeball the diameter of the crepe to the tin/pan you will be layering it.It's perfectly OK to be a little big.
  • Do not flip, just cook on one side.
  • Transfer them to the newspaper/parchment paper so that they don't get a chance to stick to each other.
Assembly:
  • Mix the coconut milk and coriander leaves together.
  • Take a medium sized saucepan (8") or a cake tin of the same size and smear the bottom of the pan with 2 tsp of ghee .
  • Take a crepe/dosa/pancake and dip it in the coconut milk ( don't dip for more than  2-3  seconds, as it wil get soggy and might rip off) and put in the pan.
  • Put some filling over it. Cover it with another coconut milk-dipped crepe. Repeat till the crepes and filling is over. You can dot some ghee in between each layers too.
  • Pour the remaining coconut milk over it. It may or maynot cover the whole assembly of pancakes.
  • Put the saucepan over medium-low heat and cook till the coconut milk is absorbed.If you are baking, pre-heat the oven to 180C and bake till the coconut milk is absorbed.(You will clearly see that the edges have become dry, that's when you need to switch off the flame or take it out of the oven.)
  • Flip onto a serving plate (it will slide out magically) and serve hot!
UPDATE (22/03/11) -  I felt it was time to update this recipe because a lot of you have tried it out and some of you are going to try it.

1. I find 'All Purpose Flour (bleached) /Maida' the best for this dish. I had once tried with Unbleached All Purpose Flour because I ran out of the other stuff and I must say, it was just OK. It is not something I would serve it to guests. It tasted like 'Chappathi's at the wrong time :D

2.Make sure you keep the assembled Pathiri saucepan on MEDIUM - LOW heat and cook for 20 mins maximum. All the ingredients except the coconut milk is cooked, so you just need that much time for the coconut milk to loose it's raw taste and the whole thing to absorb it's flavours.

3. I have said that cook till the coconut milk is absorbed. Yes, you need to cook it till it is no longer seen as how it was when you just poured it in. If you wanna check if the sides are dry, just slide a ladle's handle down the sides and push it a little bit. It just needs to be stuck together. 20 mins will be enough for this.


Verdict:
Jobin's never heard of it before and when I tried explaining it to him while we were discussing our menu for a party sometime back, he did have a wierd expression on his face. But I was convinced to convince him to convince himself that he will like it :-) And Oh Boy! He loved it!

Now he asks me to make it for every party! And I am a person who doesn't like to make the same thing again and again...but I end up making it after I hear his requests :-) He gets so excited when I serve it to the guests...like a kid. Maybe it's the layers...or the taste and smell of it...or simply because he was excited to see me layer it in a saucepan and flip it onto a plate! The second time I made it, he stood by my side to see how I create this small magic :-)

I love making things with layers so I enjoy making Chatti Pathiri ...and I think I have perfected it!So let's pull up our dining chairs, tie the napkin around our neck, grab our forks and get ready to eat!

Bon Appetit!

48 Comments:

nivedita said...

Hi Ria
Wow, Wow, Wow!! I can only say this!!
But is it really so easy? to make such a yummy dish?
I am drooling! here
Book marking this and may be will dare to try it soon!
Thanks for such a wonderful and unique dish.

Ann said...

Ria - you have done it again. This is an amazing post, pictures are spot on and you have showcased a dish that many of us have not even heard of - and done it well! Hats off. Jobin is one lucky guy!

divya said...

lovely delicious and healthy ....

>>>>Snow Queen said...

nice....it really is quite easy to make n instead of pancakes you can use filo leaves or spring roll pastry......

archana said...

Wow Ria,my hands are itching to try this one, will have to wait till the weekend. Thank you , thank you !

Swapna said...

Wow Ria!! Amazing dish!! Another masterpiece from you!!! so that means I got one more recipe to try :)...Will try it and let you know....Is it tastes like meat rolls?

Smitha said...

Its really a drool worthy dish...I am sure not even the regular lasagnas could taste soo delish!!

Aparna S Mallya said...

What an innovatove dish. Loved the name!

I LOVE layered dishes and I enjoy making lasagna. This new version is tempting me to make it. Wonder when though..!

Nitha said...

Thats a perfect one.. I have never got a chance to have this kind of savory chatti pathiri.. Always my neighbour aunty used to give us the Sweet one.. Even we got that in the restaurants and bakery too.. This sounds interesting..

Divya Kudua said...

I've heard so much about Chatti Pathiri,but never seen one.Looks very similar to a crepe cake with filling isn't it?You really have mastered the art,haven't you??

notyet100 said...

nice nme,//looks so yum,,

magpie said...

Oh my gosh! how yummy! I have never come across this dish! Will have to make it tomorrow itself!
What a strange coincidence- I have been craving Kerala delicacies and just made a nostalgic post with a Idiyappam (Malayalee's noodles :) It's almost like you read my mind.
Hmm this is getting me thinking.
sending you a fb message :)

Priya said...

Very beautiful looking dish, very tempting and truly irresistible..

Shabs.. said...

Great pictures and recipe...this is one of the favorite iftar menus at home....We make it sligthly different though..we dont use coconut milk, we use eggs and milk instead..This is one pending in my drafts topost....dint post it cos i wasnt happy with the picture....took it an year back,using flash, so the standard is very low:)..

Sudeshna said...

Ria,

This is so simple and I always thought how they made the lasagna. This is really the best recipe maneuvering I have ever seen. Great job!

Akila said...

wow 12 layered chappathi... really wonderful dear.....

first time here and just love ur blog....

when u find time, do visit my blog....

thanks....

BIZCRAZY said...

Hey Ria :)
A different perspective to our very own Chattipathiri - Lasagna :P
I hate Lasagna by the way :(......
And an alteration to your recipe, we make it sweet with egg, sugar mixture instead of chicken. And egg plus milk instead of coconut milk. Try it if you like the unnakkaayi stuffing :)

Sadiya :)

kavitha said...

Dear Ria,
Yummy<3 <3 Yummy<3 <3
A very very an inviting dish..
Just love your blog..
cant wait to try;)

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] said...

This looks fantastic, Ria. I'd never even heard of this before, but it looks so good. Going to make it.. Yeah, can you believe it? I'll make something savory!!!!! Look what you've done to me :P

stefania said...

Bellissima questa tua lasagna compllimenti

asha said...

Hi Ria,
This looks so so yum and I was just looking for the recipe for chatti-pathiri after seeing a picture of it on flickr.
Thanks so much for posting such amazing recipes and sharing it all in such an upbeat writing. Love to not only follow the recipes but your writing too :)

Thanks,
Asha

reema said...

Hey ria! my layers dd not come out too well and the edges did not stick.:-) am sure i will do better next time.. it tasted super though. MANY THANKS.

Jamie said...

An amazing dish and I can just imagine the fabulous texture and flavors! And easy? Yeas!

Sheeba Asariah said...

super yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm and delicious!!!

sony said...

hi ria..i already have made ur chatti pathiri 2 times. Tday my parents r coming..so am gonna make it for them..thanks alot ria for uploading such a delicious and easy recipe..

Ria Mathew said...

Thank you everybody!
Swapna chechy- Nope, it tastes a lot different :)

Reema- I am sure, it will come out perfect the next time!

Sony- Oooh! You made it twice already! Cool! I hope your parents like it too :)

Anjali said...

First time here. That is such a lovely recipe and as am veg will use crushed paneer instead. thanks for shring

Poornima Nair said...

U Rock Girl!! This looks better than any lasagna. I've heard of this dish but never seen it and it just seems amazing. Will give it a try soon.
Just went through your other recent posts...I'm sure soo much drooling this early in the morning can't be good...awesome posts. Jobin's one lucky guy!!

Purnima said...

Ria, this is really new to me, loved the re-naming! :) Thanks to your Aunt Shoyeba and you to bring across such a traditional n rare-on-cyberspace dish!

Saee Koranne-Khandekar said...

Beyond fantastic! Lovely blog, too!

Priya Sreeram said...

tru;y awesome ria; hope to create this magic in my kitchen the veggie way

Karishma said...

You make this look and sound so easy, Ria...I love chatti pathiri but never had the guts to make it at home, let alone ask anyone for the recipe because I thought what was the use, it's too complicated anyway..I always order it from this great restaurant near the beach in Calicut, Zains...have you gone there? They serve 100% authentic Malabari cuisine..anyway, you are tempting me to try this at home...thank you so much for the recipe...I think you're doing a great thing, making sure that such regional dishes do not get forgotten by our generation...keep going :-)

Sonia said...

Ria,
Just made this-final product didn't look as great as ur pic-made it oval shape and baked it.Next time will try the stovetop.
But must say tastes yummo..kids loved it too which makes it to the fav recipe list.
Having chatti pathiri first time in life-its tasty,filling and very rich.Posting some pics in my FB profile.
Thanks Sonia

magpie said...

Hey Ria, Loved this and found it to be quite easy! I didn't have any problems with it burning either.
Also I made it with whole wheat flour and we loved the taste- it reminded me of katti rolls, but I guess that's because I really like ww flour. I am sure the Ap flour will make it very soft,though like our motta churutus. Will try it with Ap also to compare taste :)

Sarah said...

hi Ria,

One basic doubt about this recipe. Does have to be covered when baked?

Sarah said...

Hi Ria, I tried this today and it was absolutely yummy. Though I had to figure out a veggie version due to Lent. Thanks for this wonderful challenge.

Ria Mathew said...

Sarah- It's best to cover it , with a foil or something otherwise it might get a bit dry.

I know, I'm late in replying, sorry! But I'm so glad you liked it!!

Dizzy Lizzie said...

Ha! This one's ingenious! I love how it looks. :)

Mehjabeen Arif said...

Beautiful Presentation ! I learned this dish from my friend.. nd i should say .. love at first sight :) I forgot this dish for a while now.. thanks for reminding

New to ur space and Happy to follow u

Do visit me as time permits
http://comeletseat.blogspot.com

Aarthi said...

what a lovely dish..will try out soon

Aarthi said...

WOW..you have so many good recipes...I am having a giveaway in my blog..if you want please check and join that...
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/2011/05/chocolate-recipe-and-chocolate.html

Mareena said...

Tried this recipe for the first time and it was a BIG SUCCESS... The slight change I made was to make the batter with chicken stock. Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe..

nivedita said...

HI Ria
is it possible to make this in Microwave, there is a cooking competition from LG at my place for Microwave cooking. I wanted to try this. help me pleeze.

Nupur said...

Very bful recipe.. Never thought it can be made this way !! Am sure it taste as gud as it seems. :)

Happy to follow u dear. Do visit my blog if time permits ..

Nupur
UK Rasoi

chef@home said...

Thanx Ria for the lip smacking recipe!!
though when we were eating it my layers kept on slipping away...
is it because i alternated stir fried veggies with the chicken layers to satisfy the health conscience side of me?

Ria Mathew said...

Chef@home,Thanks for trying!! Umm, not sure why your layers were slipping off.Did you add veggies as such or did you make a masala out of it?That chicken masala kinds of sticks the layers together and when the coconut milk is added and cooked, it helps in binding too.

Sunita said...

hi...tried this for a small party was a total hit....someday soon i plan to start my catering service and am thinking if i can this onto the menu and call it Ria's pathirri!
cheers
Sunita

Unknown said...

hey ria...I am a gr8 follower of ur blog...I am from thalassery...jst saw chatipatiri in ur blog n cudnt stop myself from commenting...dat luks grrrrr88888...its a very common "palaharam" in our thalassery side...but ders a huge difference v use eggs as the dipping batter instead of coconut milk...n u said u cooked it in a saucepan...how did u get the top layer so cooked n brown???did u flip it n cook again??....do reply...will try ur version soon....
regards
sanju

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...