Ria's Collection: CHEERS TO THE NEW YEAR!

Saturday, January 1, 2011

CHEERS TO THE NEW YEAR!


This new year, as most of you may know, is special for us. It's our first new year, being married and it's been a happy ride all the way. I was,as usual,confused as to how I should bring in the NY on my blog. I have been thinking about it for quite sometime now and finally found an answer when I looked at my previous header image, yes, I haven't blogged about my homemade wine! In the midst of all the Christmas baking,packing and parties, I forgot about my wine, which has been aging in the bottles since September.

I gave some away as Christmas gifts and I have to tell you it was a hit. Some said, it was strong and they felt tipsy after they drank a glass of it. To be honest, I really like it this way. Amma makes wine throughout the year, in batches. So I have been drinking homemade wine ever since I started to walk,maybe? :-) I was known in my family to be the 'wine drinker' because I have had very funny situtations after having gulped (yes!)down a glassful.


When I was little,about 4 years old, Amma thought of giving me some wine so that I would ,maybe , go to sleep or be quiet so that she could do the work that she had for that day. I think she had lots to do that day.So, she gave me some wine to drink and I got tipsy. I took a broomstick and started to climb the refrigerator! I don't think I need to tell you how much work Amma was able to do that day when her 4 year old daughter was drunk !

I have a habit, be it any drink, from coffee to wine,I cannot sip anything. I need to gulp it down in one go and finish it. Jobin finds it scary. He tells me always to slow down which I am trying to, in vain! So maybe by next new year, I'll slow down, a bit :-) I shall keep you posted! :-)











AMMA'S HOMEMADE GRAPE WINE



Ingredients:
1.5 kg red/black grapes ( I used the grapes with seeds, you can use seedless to)
2 kg granulated sugar
2 tsp yeast
1 egg white,beaten lightly
4.5 litres boiled and cooled water
200g Vella gothambu/Wheat berries (I found them in Whole Foods)

Equipment needed: A bucket with a lid (preferably red colour) / Glass canister with a loose lid/ Bharani /Earthenware jars. I used a glass canister with a loose lid from Walmart.

Method:
Wash the grapes and knead it lightly to break the skin.
Add the grapes and rest of the ingredients together into the jar that you are using to ferment the wine, mix it and leave it covered in a dark place.
Stir it once everyday for the first 21 days.
On the 21st day, strain the wine with a cheesecloth/nadan thoarth.
Leave it undisturbed in the dark for the next 21 days. NO STIRRING NEEDED.
On the 42nd day, strain and bottle it.



Verdict: I am thinking of making another batch already, because we are completely out of stock now. It's always nice to have a back up, you see :-) This wine is on the sweeter side, so those of you who never liked the other type of wines, you might like this. When I first tasted a commerical wine, I really didn't like it. But now, when we go out, we end up drinking such wines and I have developed a taste for it. We even went wine tasting in Napa Valley, California. It was a good experience!

Given a choice between homemade and commercial, I would go with the homemade wine :-)

24 Comments:

Reshmi said...

rich wine...awsome for this newyear ria...happy newyear!!!

Sharmilee! :) said...

Wishing you a very happy and prosperous new year 2011!

Stefania said...

Happy New Year ♥
Moltissimi Auguri
per uno splendido 2011

Priya Sreeram said...

loved the recipe--gotta try this soon ! Have a Great year 2011 !

RM said...

Wow...Ria,..Thats such a sweet write up...just love readin ur posts..though i dont make much these days...oru nallu masam koodi kazhinju, hope u will find some time to answer some very funny quesions...cos i wont be able to hold off....have to try some of the lovely things u have written abt..and love ur enthu, energy & pics..God Bless u lil girl !! LOve,Reny.

Swapna said...

My first post of the year was also Grape Wine! Like the saying Great minds think alike:)...

Anu Menon said...

Hey Ria...

Wish you a gorgeous fun and wine filled new year ahead... :)

had a question for ya...
My Amma also makes wine but she never used the egg part... I was wondering if you could tell me why the egg?

Priya said...

Wishing you and ur family a happy and prosperous new year..Awesome grape wine..

Smitha said...

Have a safe and healthy New Year Ria!
Looking to seeing more wonderful bakes, cakes and treats on ur blog...

Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal said...

Happy new year dear, love your blue bottle especially :)

Rujuta said...

Hi..
First time here..homemade wine sounds wonderful even if i dont drink:))
Enjoyed ur blog and m now following ur blog..
Wishing u Happy New Year full of happiness and joy

http://theworldaccordingtorujuta.blogspot.com/

Preethi Pinto said...

Hi Ria,

How are wheat berries different from wheat? Can wheat be substituted instead?

Preethi

Jisha said...

wine looks awesome...loved it...Wishing you a Happy new Year!!

M D said...

Hey Ria, this is an amazing post! Love that you have shared the recipe for Red Wine! Just a query, can I skip or substitute the egg white to something else? Also, any idea how to mellow down the wine flavors? I would be glad to try this at home.

Ria Mathew said...

Thank you so much everyone! I hope you all had a lovely start to the NY!

Anu,MD- You can skip the egg part. This was my first time, so I followed the recipe to the T. I am not sure how it helps in the process,or why it is added,but I didn't want to risk it.I have seen many other recipes where they don't use eggs, so you can go ahead without it.

Preethi-Yes, you can substitute it for wheat. Wheat berries do not have the husk that the regular wheat has. It looks like a cleaner version of wheat, atleast to me :D

Preethi Pinto said...

Just a small comment on the egg white: I've heard that an egg white(protein) helps wine settle down quickly to a much clearer liquid than otherwise.

Melanie Flinn said...

Wow- that is so cool. I love wine. Beautiful blog and beautiful pictures!
Melanie www.nutritiouseats.com

Rookie Qookie said...

Hello Ria - Thanks for the post and the tips. Just wanted to know a few things -
1. Why do we add Egg Whites?
2. Can we use Plastic containers?

Cheers,
Reshmi :)

Preethi Pinto said...

Hi Ria, I had kept mine sometime first week of Jan, after reading this. Its ready now and its awesome! Thanks a ton!

Liz said...

Ria... I wonder if I can have it after 21 days..Not sure I can wait that long....Looks awesome. love the color. Thanks Liz

sans said...

Hi Ria,I prepared the wine mix just as you said it. But the very next day,the second day,I noticed white mold like looking stuff on the surface .
The wine tasted Ok. What do I do?Pls advise. I've made quite a lot. Do I risk losing it all?

Ria Mathew said...

Sans, you are doing everything right! That's how it should look now and it will look even more weird as the days go by :) That's the yeast doing it's work.
Don't taste the wine now,hold on to the suspense :)

Let me know the progress, okay?

-Ria

Seena Edvin said...

Hi Ria,

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I did everything as told in the recipe but I also added the caramelised sugar at the same time without waiting. Maybe i was too excited and didn't read the whole instructions...
Now is there any suggestion you have for me ?... Please tell me the wine will still be fine .. :(

Ria Mathew said...

Seena, it should be just fine!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...