Wednesday, December 21, 2011

PERFECT CARAMEL CUSTARD ...for any occasion!

Caramel Pudding
Ihave never ever come across anyone who doesn't like this delicious soft,melt-in-the-mouth pudding. I hope I don't, ever! I love this pudding and this would be my comfort dessert,anytime of the day, warm or cold.This is that pudding Amma  makes when unannounced guests comes knocking on the door and I'm sure it's the same with many of you guys.Actually, do we need any excuse to make this deliciousness??
Caramel custard
I've been thinking of making this pudding for sometime now because we both love it and therefore I don't need another reason to make it! I've seen many recipes which uses custard powder,cornstarch ,lots of eggs plus egg yolks but this one is just a basic recipe.I have added condensed milk in the custard which you can clearly substitute with white sugar,to taste.
Caramel Custard

The best part of making this pudding is when you turn it upside down which reminds of an incident which happened in Amma's twin ,Daisy mummy's house. Daisy mummy and Jose uncle runs a homestay in Kothamangalam and once I was there with them when they had about 150 guests for lunch.She made a variety of desserts and Caramel Custard Pudding was one amongst them. I was put in charge of turning the pudding upside down onto the serving platter and everything went fine except for the last one. No matter what I did,it never turned upside down and this being a delicate dessert I was worried about tossing it back and forth. She was in a hurry fixing other stuff and attending her guests but I had to call her. She came in and I told her the problem and she tried her hand at it. Nothing changed, it still fell the other way round, the caramel was at the bottom.  Finally,we caught the culprit...the maid who was in charge of wiping the pudding moulds buttered that particular tin! So lesson learnt...never butter the mould for a Caramel Custard!
Caramel Custard

I was very careful to remember that,just in case ;-) The bowls you see in the photographs were sent to me by Wayfair for a product review. They are really good to bake with and it releases the baked goods very easily. They look pretty as is.

Caramel PuddingPERFECT CARAMEL CUSTARD
My own recipe

Ingredients:
2 c whole milk
1/2 c sweetened condensed milk
5 tbsp white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c sugar

Method:
Pre-heat the oven to 350 F/ 180C .
In a saucepan,add milk, condensed milk and 5 tbsp sugar and bring to a boil.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs till well blended. Drizzle hot milk into it while beating all the time.
Strain the mixture to avoid any egg white lumps in the custard.
In a pan, on medium heat, caramelise 1/2 c sugar till golden brown and pour it into the pudding mould. Swirl to coat the sides. Pour the milk-egg mixture into the moulds.
Place the moulds into a baking tin with tall sides and pour hot water just so that the bowl are immersed halfway. Bake for 40 mins or till the centres are still jiggly and when a knife inserted comes out smooth.Let it cool for half an hour.
Release from the sides and invert onto the serving platter.Serve warm or chilled.
Enjoy!

Did I convince you enough, for you to make some of these? Go and bake away! If you want it a bit more firm, bake it a little more, about 5-8 mins.

23 Comments:

Athisaya Divya said...

That looks a easy and elegant dessert, Ria..

Aarthi said...

i love it all time..

Nish said...

Oh my, the caramel custard looks soooooooooooooooooo nice n soft n jiggly n perfect!
It's about 12 in the night right now & my tummy started growling after seeing the pictures!
Too bad I can't use eggs at home to make this! :-\

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Mmmhhh, those look irresistible!

Happy Holidays!

Cheers,

Rosa

thepickyeater said...

the custard looks perfect ! merry christmas :D

faseela said...

a perfectly baked custard caramel

Priya said...

Cant take my eyes from ur stunning clicks,simply loving it.

Prathibha said...

very delicious custard...I just loveeeee it....

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Custards looks yummy...Love the bowls...cute...Lovely clicks..

divya said...

Omg, makes me hungry.

Poornima Nair said...

The texture of this custard is awesome, creamy and smooth. I hate it when it has holes all over it. This is another fab recipe Ria!

PrathibhaSreejith said...

Caramel custard, my kids love them :) Another fab clicks n I love thise bowls and the plate served ;)

Priya's Feast said...

Luv those bowls with ur gorgeous caramel custard...For the bowls,R u doing some giveaway?? :-P Merry Christmas to u.

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

looks so pretty, i love caramel custard too... reminded of moim who used to make them in pressure cooker :)

Pavithra said...

My allllllll time fav and looks so so yumm.. I can eat this anytime and many time too.. Drooooooool

Rashida shaikh said...

Right!
Mouth-melting recipe..Thanks for sharing

accidental diva said...

love the caramel custard..yum!!
also would I be able to use this measurement to feed 8 or 9 people or do I need to double it. Had the same question regarding your instant triple choclate mousse??Planning a party this weekend and I think this would be perfect:)

Ria Mathew said...

Accidental Diva, I got 6 ramekins from this so you may have to increase the amount to feed 8 people.

For the mousse, it can be stretched for 8 depending on the size of your bowl.

sheethal mobin said...

Hi,
Juz made them. Simply PERFECT!! i wish i could send u a pic of dis... :)

Maaji Rafeek said...

Ria..been googling for some good mouth-watering foods ..wen i reached ur blog...wooww...its quite relaxing to read ur words..and ur recipes seems to be soo perfect n accurate..am going to try each one of them one by one..keep posting !! Good luck!!

Shobana said...

Tried this recipe today and it came out just beautifully! The texture and taste were just perfect.

Ain Sakina said...

Hi there!

Your pudding looks delicious! Can I steam instead of baking it?

Ain Sakina said...

Hi there!

Your pudding looks delicious! Can I steam instead of baking it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...