Thursday, December 1, 2011

SERRADURA- A no bake/no cook layered Portuguese dessert!

There's more, much more to Christmas than candlelight and cheer.It's the spirit of sweet friendship that brightens all year.It's thoughfulness and kindness,it's hope reborn again,for peace,for understanding and for goodwill to men'.
~Author Unknown~
Serradura
This is the World's most easiest dessert, to date, according to me! Really! I always always look out for things which are easy to cook yet looks and tastes delicious. This is one among them and this will top my list of the most easiest dessert ever! Not convinced yet? Read through rest of the post and see if what I'm saying is right or wrong :-) You  hardly need 10 mins to whip up a bowl of this wonderful delicious dessert!
Serradura
When I was in India for my vacation,we had a wedding to attend in Goa. My most favourite cousin, Tia, was getting married to her long time boyfriend, Nitish. I was one of the bridesmaids for her wedding. It was such a beautiful ceremony.So, on the previous night, we had a ceremony called 'Madhuramveppu' and this was the dessert for that night. We all loved it and was trying all ways possible to get the recipe for it.We asked Tia what the name of the dessert was. She said something which none of us could remember!
Serradura

So the day after the wedding, before Amma and myself left for Delhi,my cousin Rosily found out that the caterers for Madhuramveppu had a restaurant closeby to where we were staying. That means, they will have the same dessert on the menu!! So without wasting another minute, we set out to finding Ernesto's.Making sure we saved some space for the much awaited dessert, we had a small lunch and then gorged on 2 full bowls of Serradura.Then we rushed back to the hotel to pack our bags and catch the next train to our respective destinations with one thought in our minds,'Get the recipe for this dessert!'.

SerraduraSERRADURA
My own recipe

Ingredients:
20 marie biscuits
1c cream
6 tbsp condensed milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Method:
Powder the biscuits until super fine. Whip the cream to soft peaks, add condensed milk & vanilla and whip till firm peaks form.Layer them in individual bowl and refrigerate overnight *.

*The Serradura I had was frozen.If you want to do that, freeze the dessert and then leave it outside 20 mins before serving time.It is absolutely delicious this way! It melts in your mouth. I also sprinkled some cocoa powder over the last layer of biscuit,for an effect :-)


Serradurra means 'sawdust' in Portuguese.I think this is becasue of the texture of the finely ground biscuits. You really have to powder it very fine to get the real texture for this dessert.Use your mixie for this purpose.I searched high and low on the web for this recipe and they all looked similar and very easy! So I thought of coming up with my own proportions.Adjust the sweetness to your taste.You just cannot go wrong with this dessert.This is one of our favourite desserts and one cannot eat a large quantity because it's rich and heavy.So when you serve, serve it in small portions. I sincerely hope you all try this because it's worth it! :-)


Thanks for all emails asking me about my absence here...lots are happening on the personal front! Don't worry, it's nothing bad, it's everything happy but I just cannot find the energy to blog like before! :-) I have a happy news to share! I am featured on VANITHA December 2011 with my 4 Christmas special cakes, so when you get the time, grab a copy and have a look. I haven't seen it for myself but I heard the cakes look good :)

32 Comments:

Shireen Sequeira said...

Now this is what I call 'tis the season to be jolly! With desserts like these I am sure it will be a stress free xmas for me :) Will put this on my menu :)

Priya said...

Such an elegant layered pudding,inviting.

Aarthi said...

wow..this looks so good

Rashida shaikh said...

good one .....
@InheritedRecipes-Rashu

Priti said...

'I have ANOTHER happy news to share..' Does that mean what I am thinking about the FIRST 'happy news' that has left u too tired to blog is right??!! :) In that case CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! Its the best news ever...take care and give urself ample rest! Easy desserts are just the perfect way to celebrate at such times.

Anzz said...

Yummy, the dessert looks delicious and the recipe is ever so easy. Will definitely try that one. Thanx Ria.

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Simple and delicious looking dessert...Will try it for the next party...:)..BTW congrats...:)

Sarah said...

that is a lovely dessert! Congratulations for the good news... ;)

Anisha said...

Awesome... this is so simple , quick and looks so beautiful!

mitha said...

Thank You Ria for such an easy desserts. am sure my son would love this.
so happy for you both about the 'happy news'
take good care

Swapna said...

Like Priti am I also guessing right?? If so I am really happy for you girl!!! Take rest and take care of your self :)... Your recipes in Vanitha are awasome...Do you want me to scan those pages if you haven't seen the Vanitha yet? let me know...

priya said...

dessert looks very good and easy to make .i went through the vanitha issue and as soon as i saw your cakes picture the fruit cake ,I recognized its from rias collection i am pretty much familiar with all your recipes and have tried so many of them

priya

Gopika Ram said...

Wow.. such an easy yet exquisite recipe.. will try this when I have guests the next time ;)

Gopika Ram said...

And hey congrats on the Vanitha issue :) Will tell my mom to check it out. She is a regular reader :)

divya said...

Mhmm delicious...very tempting.

Lijna said...

Thanks for such a simple recipe !

Rachel Sonny Abraham said...

Congrats Ria! will also buy the Vanitha! take care and God bless!

Prachee said...

Thanks for sharing this, looks lovely and will surely try it :)

gigi said...

Ria dear,

i did see ur cakes featured in vanitha...they look so lovely...So proud of you,dear..here i am boasting to all that i know Ria, i know all those cakes etc...

Lisa said...

Hi Ria,

Great Recipe and I am so waiting to make it for some guests this saturday. Today I did a trial batch and while I was whipping the cream and condensed milk and vanilla, the entire thing split!!! I was so stuck not knowing how to salvage the cream-condensed milk mix.

Any ideas why and how to prevent it? Is is a temperature difference? Cream was cold and Condensed Milk was at room temparature...just wondering...

Hope to hear frm you, good luck!

Lisa

Ria Mathew said...

Lisa,all I can think of is that you must have over whipped it. If you over whip the cream ,you will get butter. From what you have mentioned, it's definately not the temperature difference.

Where do you live? What cream did you use?

Me.

Lisa said...

Ria,

I live in Singapore and I used Emborg 35% fat whipping cream. I guess it must be the over whipping. But I couln't get firm peaks if I stopped whipping! I'll try again though...

Thanks!

NarMee said...

Hi Ria,

I accidentally came across your blog a month ago (shocking i know but im into blogging just recently), post which I stop atleast a couple of times a day at ur blog to catch up .. Im in love with the recipes and been trying them one by one ! This dessert was on my menu last weekend and it was fantastic ! My hubby and MIL loved it too ! So thank you for sharing not just this one but all your recipes.. Im having a gala time experimenting ! :D I shall mail (& bore) you sometime in detail about all my experimenting.. Till then .. ciao! and hey wish you and your family a very happy christmas & New Year! :D

Love,
Narmadha

creating memories.. said...

I made this dessert a couple of times and then yesterday made it for a dinner party. Instant hit! Oh my, literally there was 'pidiyum valiyum'. haha!! I liked it frozen like you said. Thank you for such an awesome recipe, will make it again and blog about it.. was too lazy to take pictures yesterday :)

btw, when I whip cream, condensed milk and essence together, I never seem to get a stiff peak. So I don't get that layered effect. When I pour the cream mixture on biscuit powder, it all comes together... still tasty though, so I didn't care much

heidi kress said...

so do you mean sweetened condensed milk? there is no sugar mentioned anywhere, am assuming the sweetness comes from the sweetened condensed milk?

Ria Mathew said...

Heidi, yes it's sweetened condensed milk and that's the only source of sweetness in this recipe.

Jina said...

Ria,

I made this today. And we all loved it. My only problem was--the cream layer got very thick and was not creamy enough and hence the biscuit was a lil sticky. Im sure I did something wrong.
I kept it in the freezer for almost 8 hiurs and kept it outside. Is that why it happened??
I loved it so much-I want to do it exactly right the next time
Muito obrigada!!

Ria Mathew said...

Jina,so are you saying that the cream layer kind of rolled away from the biscuit layer? Which cream did you use? I am not sure exactly what could have gone wrong there.Maybe the cream had more fat in it?! How long did you let it thaw? Usually when you eat it that way, it's almost like an ice cream cake which is a little soft.Did it seem like that to you?

Next time, try refrigerating(if you are using the same cream)and not freezing it.I've not had this problem, so far. Also, did you try eating the layers separately or you found the problem even while digging into all the layers?

Still thinking what could have gone wrong!

Ria.

Unknown said...

Hi Ria

First of all i would like to congratulate you on such a beautiful blog you have here with mouthwatering pictures:) and secondly for the good news that everybody else has been congratulation you on as well;) God bless you and everything goes well by his grace.

I accidentally found your site while searching for a dessert to make for a dinner party this weekend..and boy! am i glad i stumbled on your site:) each and every recipe with detailed descriptions and mouth watering pictures...i'm at work now..and my stomach is already rumbling..he he...In particular i loved the serradura recipe..which obviously was alien to me until now:) such a simple yet strikingly b'ful looking dessert i'm hoping will win the hearts of the people coming over...

I have a small question regarding this tho'..just wanted your expert advice if i should freeze the dessert for 2 to 3 hrs and thaw it for 10mnts before serving..or if i shuld refrigerate it overnight and serve it the next evening..will it be in the fridge for too long..and get soggy by doing this? or should i make it early evening and freeze it for around 3 hrs and serve it after dinner...i'm really confused...plzz help!

Before i go...thank you for putting up such a b'ful blog..and you can be rest assured that i will be following you very closely:)
Love and good luck to all your future endeavours...

Shiney.

Namita Tiwari said...

Hi Ria, I read the interesting story behind this wonderful recipe. I saw this simple looking delicious dessert recipe in food first channel. In due course of time, i forgot the name. I had been hunting for the name and recipe. Luckily your beautiful blog came to my rescue. Thank you so much. will definitely try it out. love, Namita

Namita Tiwari said...

Hi Ria, I saw the recipe of this simple and delicious dessert in Food First channel. In due course of time, i forgot its name. I had been hunting for the name and recipe. Felt so nice when I saw it in your beautiful blog. Will definitely try it out. Love, Namita

anju said...

I tried this out and it came out beautifully.My kids loved it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...