Monday, January 2, 2012

KAPPA ERACHI/KAPPA BIRIYANI / YUCCA BIRIYANI/CASSAVA BIRIYANI... a true delight!

Kappa Biriyani

Iabsolutely adore my Ammai's rather Mammai's Kappa Erachi.  Mammai is my Appan's sister and they live in Kothamangalam,very close to Amma's twin sister.Whenever we go to Mammai's house,she will definately have this dish for one of our meals at their place and we gorge on it. It's so so yummy. I cannot describe better!I sometimes wonder how such simple & humble things when put together makes such a mouthwatering,fantastic dish!
Kappa Biriyani

Offlate, I've been thinking of making it at home and I've never made it before. Amma used to make it in Kannur and her's is maybe a 10% different from Mammai's Kappa Erachi.I love it both! Yesterday, as we got out of church, I made up my mind that we are going to have Kappa Erachi for dinner. I told Jobin 'Let's go to the Indian store on our way back to buy some Kappa and Beef.' He agreed instantly because even he loves it!
Kappa Biriyani

After a few minutes he asked me if I knew how to make it and he can help me in the kicthen because we would be getting back home pretty late. I had no concrete idea as to how to make it but still had a plan in my head because I wanted to eat it so badly. When I feel like that about  food,no matter what, I want to do the cooking because  I have to get the dish the way I have pictured it in my mind...tastewise,colourwise & in looks! :-)
Kappa Biriyani

After a quick call to Amma,I had some guidelines to follow and she also told me why Mammai's tasted different because she adds some spices while tempering the dish! :-) I did the same and the end result... was mindblowing! It hardly takes anytime to make this wonderful thing!
Kappa BiriyaniKAPPA ERACHI/KAPPA BIRIYANI
My own recipe

Ingredients:
For the beef curry
1 kg bone-in beef
2 medium onions,diced
1 large tomato,chopped
3 green chillies, slitted
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp red chili powder
2 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
Salt to taste

Method: Mix all the ingredients together, in a pressure cooker and cook till the beef is cooked completely. There should be some water remaining, if not add about 1 cup of water and keep aside.

For the Kappa/Yucca
2 large roots of yucca,cleaned and chopped to 3-4 inch pieces approx.
Plenty of water
Salt to taste

Method: Boil the chopped yucca in lots of water and enough salt till 3/4th cooked. Drain of the excess water. Add the yucca to the beef and mix.You can mash up some pieces of the yucca and add more water,in case you need the biriyani to be a little loose.Simmer for 5 mins.

For the tempering
1/2 c coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
10 pearl onions, chopped
1 inch ginger ,chopped fine
6-8 cloves garlic,chopped fine
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp red chili powder

Method: Heat oil, crackle the mustard seeds. Add onions, ginger and garlic and saute till onions are golden brown in colour. Switch of the heat and add the powders and saute for 30 seconds.Pour over the yucca and beef and mix well. Check for salt.

This dish will thicken as it cools, so make sure it's a little loose,like a thick porridge.

Now that I have mastered the art of making a very good Kappa Erachi, I'm a happy girl!! We had a fabulous dinner, last night! All you Kappa Biriyani lovers, do try this and if you do, let me know! :-)

Happy New Year!

12 Comments:

Aarthi said...

nice recipe..yummy

magpie said...

Hey Ria Happy New Year! Have never had this tho I love the manja kappa with meen curry so must try this soon!

Anna said...

Gosh Ria...U made me drooooolll...brilliant !

Zareena said...

Mouth watering dish. As I wont eat beef, can I make this with chicken or mutton Ria? Wishing you and Jobin a very happy new year.

vineetha said...

Happy new year Ria..this is making me so so hungry.

Priya said...

Happy new year wishes Ria, briyani looks super tempting.

Cynthia said...

Ria, you have me drooling here. I love yucca.

Happy New Year.

CJ said...

Hi Ria...happy New yr!!!loved ur write up....nice dish too,my hubby's fav-24hrs,365 days u give this dish to him,he wud love having it!!!btw,u 2 think abt food while in church??

PrathibhaSreejith said...

Oh dear, Its so tempting. Your write up made me hungry now, we make it with mutton. its been quite some time we had it, have to make it sometime soon now....
Happy New Year 2012 wishes to you and family :)

Rinku Naveen said...

Happy New Year dear! Adipoli.. Never had a chance to taste it but I have heard a lot about it.

Sarah said...

this looks so good! reminds me to ask folks in kerala to send me some kappa...

Ria Mathew said...

Zareena, of course! Go ahead!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...