Thursday, February 23, 2012

CHETTINAD KUZHI PANIYARAMS with COCONUT CHUTNEY

Paniyaram & Chutney

Afew years ago,while still in college,my friends and I moved in as paying guests to a nearby home. They provided us with all the facilities one could wish for, which for me, was a well lit kitchen!We made plans of cooking all our meals there and once in a while dining out or buying 'tiffins' from the neighbour Aunty. Little did we know what was in store for us :-)

Paniyaram & Chutney

We cooked very very little and ate almost everyday from outside. The tiffin boy used to come by every morning to drop our 'dhabba' filled with food. I was raised in a very Malayali home in Kerala and was so not used to having a rice dish for breakfast. The tiffin aunty used to send us some sort of coloured rice dish (not idli/dosa) for breakfast. All those days, I would just eat a spoonful and then ask my friends if they wanted it. Everybody found it difficult to have rice the first thing in the morning!

Paniyaram & Chutney

Once in a while, she used to send us these round little balls with coconut chutney that we all adored! We used to do the guess work of what it was made off till we ate up the last one. I knew it was made using dosa batter but wasn't sure as I've never had that before. We used to wait for that day, not knowing which day, to have it again!
Paniyaram & Chutney

Later, I moved out from there because of various reasons and then moved in with my aunt and family and I must say, that was one of the smart moves that I made, in Bangalore! :-) They were living in my dad's apartment on Church Street, which is in the heart of the city! Everything was accessible except for auto's since they are not allowed on that street :-) More on my life in Church Street, for another yummy day!

Paniyaram & Chutney
CHETTINAD KUZHI PANIYARAMS with COCONUT CHUTNEY
My own recipe

Ingredients:
For Paniyarams
2 1/2 c dosa batter
3 tbsp cilantro, chopped
Salt to taste
For tempering
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp whole urad
1/4 onion, diced (If you are living in India, please use 1/2 onion)
3 green chilies, chopped fine
A few tbsps of oil

Method: Thaw your dosa batter, if it was kept in fridge.Add the chopped cilantro &salt to taste. In a small tempering pan, heat the oil and crackle mustard seeds. Add the whole urad and wait for it to turn golden brown, in colour. Add onions and saute till they are soft. Add the green chilies and saute for 30 secs. Add these to the dosa batter and mix well.
Take a paniyaram pan/unniappachatty and heat it on medium-high. Add a few drops of oil in each depression (I used the same oil which I used for tempering) and pour a tablespoon full of batter into each. Wait till the top is almost cooked and the sides turn golden brown. Turn them over with the help of a spoon or the wooden stick which came with the pan.Cook for another minute. Transfer the paniyarams to a casserole to keep them warm.

Paniyaram & ChutneyFor the coconut chutney
1 c grated coconut
3 dry red chilies
1/2 c water
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 dry red chilies
1 sprig curry leaves
Salt to taste
3 tbsp oil

Method: Grind together the coconut, dry red chilies and water. In a pan,heat 3 tbsp oil on medium. Add the mustard seeds and let it crackle. Add the dry chilies and curry leaves.Immediately add the ground coconut paste to it.Add more water ,if needed. The chutney should never boil. So take it off the flame as soon as you see the vapor coming from it. Add salt to taste. Serve with Paniyarams/Dosa/Idli.

Paniyaram & Chutney

It was Ash Wednesday for us, yesterday,therefore we thought of having a light meal for dinner. So when Jobin left for his guitar classes, I was at home crocheting a new border and was wondering what to have for that 'light' dinner. I was not in a mood to cook so thought of doing something with the dosa batter I had and that's how these Paniyarams were born plus there were so many good memories associated with those little  round balls. When he got back from his classes, he said our house smelt really good. He really didn't know what was in store for him, to eat :-) As soon as he opened the casserole, he tilted his head , raised his eyebrows and stared at it. That's it...I started blabbering about my days as a paying guest and how we loved it. The dinner was over in a flash because these were supremely delicious! Guess what I did right after...I went and soaked the rice and dal to make another batch of dosa batter, not to make dosas but Paniyarams!

20 Comments:

Ambika said...

My most favorite snack!! Gorgeous pics. The coconut chutney recipe is new to me, I always use roasted gram dal or peanuts in my chutney. Will try this one..

Athisaya Divya said...

I always make extra dosa batter just to make these paniyarams. Love the color of the chutney.

An Open Book said...

i wish i had those paniyaram chatti. I make this all the time, but have 2 scoop batter with an ice cream scoop and fry it in oil. So shapes are kinda weird, but tastes great nonetheless :)
Gorgeous pics ria

Suby said...

Your pic r so good ................it make me feel hungry ..............good work Ria ..........

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Lovely looking paniarams with Coconut Chutneys.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Rose from Magpies Recipes said...

Ooh I was drooling seeing this and thinking of going and getting one of those unniappam/ ebelskiver pans. Will try Nisha's idea and try frying them in a small round tadka pan I have.

Divya Kudua said...

Paniyarams or appo as we call it was a regular breakfast for us and I still remember,whenever I took the tiffin to school,my friends would get amused as they never tasted a savory unniyappam!Amma also adds grated ginger into the batter which served two purposes,if the batter was turning sour,the ginger would mask the flavor and also,ginger would take the paniyarams to another level:))

faseela said...

yummy paniyarams......superb

Zareena said...

Loved this a lot dear. Recently my SIL told me about this and as I don't have unni appa chatty I never tried this. Amazing snaps as usual.

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

u lived in church street? lucky gal! everything is a stone's throw away... we call this guli appa & i love it too, coconut chutney looks fantastic (never seen red coloured coconut chutney, i like this version with red chillies)

Princy Vinoth said...

I just got the paniyaram vessel last weekend...and made some paniyarams the next evening!

Javelin Warrior said...

Ria, although I've never used dosa batter, these look and sound delicious - I love the color and contrast with the chutney! I have featured this post in today's Friday Food Fetish roundup. Let me know if you have any objections and thanks as ever for the inspiration...

Aarthi said...

This looks totally delicious..I would love to try this..Bookmarked.

Amritha said...

These are one of my nephew's fav snack. My sis puts in a bit of veggies in the batter as well...yum!

Bharathy said...

This is our frequent tiffin, Ria!
Looks so homely and good!!

Do you have the recipe of kaju katlis made with milk powder? Pls do post it if you haven't! badly in need of alternative recipes.

shirin goel said...

yummy!!!!!!!!!!

mumbaiflowerplaza.com

Debs said...

Hi Ria, am not sure if the first post went thru successfully?!? here is its again.

Well, i was surprised to see me on the 'You & I' section, that is sooo sweet.
I made the chutney today and it was so easy and stress less on a Sunday afternoon that i think its going to appear on weekdays too.. :)

I have also made couple of stuff from your blog and the photos are on FB, but for some reason i was unable to hyperlink you- however the due credits are given but in normal Text.
Well there are 2 other thing i need your hand holding. I tried your Honey comb cake and i was so heartbroken that i was unable to replicate it the way you did. i am sure i did go wrong somewhere. Could you please leave me an email with a detailed explanation on how to get the chocolate molding right? i was so upset that i haven't attempted another set of cake yet :) Second thing is, i recently visited Fort Kochi and got myself a chatti. no point cooking Kerala dish if its not the right way. my husband is a Mal and i want to make the right curry for him or i guess more for me. I love Kerala cuisine. well i was told that i need to season it with starch and sunlight for 3 days. but here in Bangalore, there is a lot of sun but no starch, we don't indulge in rice that often these days. now can u help me with tips on how else do i season it and how do i know its ready for use? like a small test?
Yours loving blog stalker,
Debipriya.

Ria Mathew said...

Debipriya, Thanks for trying the chutney! Glad to hear that you liked it :)

I will not be able to email you unless you leave behind your email id :) There is no secret to that honey comb effect, I have mentioned the way I've done it in that post. Simply spread melted chocolate over the bubblewrap, flip it over the cake, freeze it and then peel the wrap away carefully.

For seasoning the chatti,even we follow the starch method. You just need a little bit of starch water. It's the best way to prevent new clay pots from cracking as far as I know :)

Debs said...

i tried the same, but i guess, my chocolate was not smooth textured. and my bubble wrap had few air out.. like i burst few of them. now should it be fresh one, like all air intact...
ohh i get it. so i spread the chocolate mixture over the wrap and then turn it on the cake with the melted chocolate itself? adn then allow it to freeze?? suddenly it seems like rocket science.
here it is debipriya.bhowmick@gmail.com

Ria Mathew said...

Debs, of course! you need to have the fresh bubble wrap with everything intact for the best results. Looks like the problem is solved! :) All the best!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...