Ria's Collection: BUTTERSCOTCH SHORTBREAD

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

BUTTERSCOTCH SHORTBREAD

"I love the excitement,the childlike spirit of innocence and just about everything that goes along with Christmas" ~ Hilary Scott
BUTTERSCOTCH SHORTBREAD COOKIES
It's the most wonderful time of the year! Christmas is just around the corner and that only means one thing...there will be a lot of baking in our house! This year,I am looking for all the shortcut recipes that I can make ahead of time and store in the freezer so that I can pull them out whenever the time comes.Hefty's freezer bags works perfectly for that. I always freeze cookie dough and it bakes up perfectly whenever I feel the need to munch on one or maybe three or when we have friends stopping by unexpectedly.If you need more information on how to freeze cookies and treats,click here.

BUTTERSCOTCH SHORTBREAD COOKIES
BUTTERSCOTCH SHORTBREAD COOKIES
I am a huge fan of shortbreads.I have posted a few recipes for it already here on the blog and I've made them so many times over the last few years. December is my most favourite month and it's the most happening month with regards to shopping too! Gifts for my little family, secret santas and family friends. This year is no different. The best part is that we are getting a 2 week break from school,halfway through the month and I am so super excited about it!

BUTTERSCOTCH SHORTBREAD COOKIES
Butterscotch is one of my favourite flavours in an icecream and a cake. Infact it's one of Appan's favourite ice cream flavour. Amma makes a lovely butterscotch souffle with cashew praline and it's just awesome! It is one flavour that I haven't seen around much here in the US. I wonder why. This shortbread dough is a dream to work with. So easy,so simple and yet so delicious. I love the recipes I've made so far from Taste of Home.
BUTTERSCOTCH SHORTBREAD COOKIES
Cookies like these makes a perfect holiday gift. Just pack some together in a pretty bag and tie it with a bow to complete the look. Do you have a favourite holiday cookie recipe? I always lean towards simple cookies made with butter during this time. I love a plain old Nancuts to the Snowball cookies to the Jam Filled Sandwich cookies. You can find all those recipes here on my blog!
BUTTERSCOTCH SHORTBREAD
BUTTERSCOTCH SHORTBREAD COOKIES Makes 30-32 cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter,at room temperature
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butterscotch chips,finely chopped
1/2 cup English toffee bits

Method: In a large bowl,beat together butter,sugar and vanilla on high speed until pale and fluffy,about 1 minute. Whisk together flour,cornstarch and salt in a bowl and add it to the butter mixture. Mix well using a hand mixer until it comes together as a dough,10-15 seconds. Gently fold in the butterscotch chips and toffee bits.

Form them into logs over a piece of plastic wrap and wrap them tightly. Put them into gallon sized Hefty Slider Bags and store in the freezer*.

When ready to use,pull the cookie dough out and leave it to thaw on your countertop for 10-15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Slice the cookies into 1/4 inch thickness and place them on the cookie sheet 2 inch apart from each other and bake for 18-20 minutes or until it's golden around the edges and pale brown on top,like in the photographs above. Let it cool on a wire rack and when completely cooled,store them in an airtight container.

*If you want to use them right away, chill the cookie dough for an hour,slice and bake as instructed.
These cookies were irresistible. They are so crisp and delicious. I have never ever seen or tasted a butterscotch shortbread until I made these today. This is definitely going to be made again! We all loved it!

If you want to make your life easier,just print these beautiful designs from Hefty and clip them onto your Hefty slider bags. They will make the treats that you made for your loved ones,extra special!
Don't forget to check out Hefty's page on how to freeze your treats so that they are ready for you,when you want them to be!


0 Comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...