Ria's Collection: Chicken Chilli Fry - Mamma's signature dish :)

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Chicken Chilli Fry - Mamma's signature dish :)

I was 'home alone' yesterday and I had to cook something for myself if I din't want to starve ( me and starving?????and the too on a Sunday???? no way!! :P ) So before my mom left she told me that there was half a chicken left in the freezer and I could do whatever I wanted to :)

My bro had gone to play and I knew he wouldn't be back home till lunch time...so I spent hours in front of the system hoping atleast one of my friends would come online on GTalk so that I could kill my time :P But no one came! :( So the only other option was to cook something and keep myself engaged :) I was not in a mood for experimenting since there was only 'half' a chicken left :D And therefore went ahead in making this aromatic, thick gravy-ied (is there a word like that?? ) chicken curry! :)

Don't get confused with the chinese chilli chicken! It's not that! Not even a wee bit! :P My grandparents were in Malaysia for quite a few years when my dad was young, and Mamma claims that she learnt it from the 'kokie' ( cook) there :) So here's another eazy breezy dish from Mamma :)
Chicken Chilli Fry
Recipe source My grandmom

Ingredients:
Chicken 1 kg ( can use pork, beef etc)
Ginger garlic paste -1 tbsp
Tomatoes -4 medium
Onions -6 medium
Salt-as required
Red chilli powder - 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp [depending on the type used i.e; Kashmiri chilli powder etc]
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Oil-5-6 tbsp ( we use coconut oil)
Water -as required ( if needed)

Method:
  • Puree tomatoes and onions together.
  • Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add ginger garlic paste and saute till you get a nice aroma.
  • Add the puree to it and fry for a good 8-10 mins on low flame. ( do not reduce the time because it will taste raw and the curry will taste BAD! ) Edited on 10 Feb 2012: After receiving a negative comment (the very first of it's kind here),I cannot stress enough on how you need to saute this puree for a good 8-10 mins...or make it more, saute till you can see the oil separate as I don't want your efforts to be wasted. This is really a good, mild curry but the only place you can go wrong is this step as I have gone wrong many times, whenever I took a shortcut :) If this curry wasn't good, it wouldn't have been on this blog or categorized as my family favourite! Also, if you are cooking on an electric stove, low heat is just a waste option, increase it to medium or medium high.
  • Add the powders and salt to taste. Fry for 3-4 mins.
  • Add the chicken. Stir well. Close the lid and cook till 1 whistle comes . If using beef or pork cooking time will vary accordingly. Pork is best cooked the normal way in a kadai or any other open vessel and not in a pressure cooker.
  • If you think you need more gravy add water accordingly and give it a boil.
  • Check for salt.
  • Serve hot with rice, chapathi ,porota .


This is another family favourite dish :) I'm sure all you 'tomato-onion combo' lovers would love it :)
I am suprised that I have some of the curry left... will have it for dinner tonight! My parents will be back home in the evening... they can have a share of it :) I know it will not be sufficient for the 4 of us... but still :)











15 Comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That dish sounds and looks really good! What wondeful flavors and pretty pictures!

Cheers,

Rosa

Sanghi said...

Mmm yummy photos.. Am drooling over that chicken bowl now ria. Easy simple delicious chicken curry in minutes. Will surely try..! Check my blog event at my blog dear!!

Unknown said...

Oooh this looks great! When I read 'chicken chilli fry' I immediately thought Chinese!! But this is soo different. I'm passing the recipe along to my cook, hopefully I'll be able to taste it soon :D

Meeta K. Wolff said...

looks great! just need some naan or rotis now!

Sakshi said...

After almost killing me with all that cake (I cannot bake to save my life) you have put up a dish which I can try and am sure I will love too...what with all that spice...oh yum!! Btw I loved that clay pot..

SindhuBhairavi said...

oh my girl.. u make me hungry whenever i visit ur blog seeing those nonveg dishes!!...

looks yumyyyy!!! and seems easy to make as well.. thanks for sharing these simple and easy recipes.. !

take care....

Varsha Vipins said...

what a pot..loved itt..n tats a spicy yummy dish..:)

Ria Mathew said...

Thank y'all so much! And I'm happy that my small pot is much loved! :)

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

I'm surprised that it was not a baked recipe today.Hmmmm! Really nice to know that u have mastered every form of cooking. Love chicken........however it is cooked.

Rebeca said...

Looks delicious! Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting about the bread. And congratulations on your upcoming marriage!
Rebeca

Finla said...

Your brother is there with you wow . Delicious looking chicken and love those pots.

rose alex said...

Hello Ria,such a terrific dish I must say...Flop of the year...just yuck:(I hated it...wasted my time...just tried the exact recipe...alas I hate it...Like all others I was tempted by the photos of this dish....but it proved luks decieves

Ria Mathew said...

Rose,
I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with this curry. What was the problem that you faced? I know it tasted 'yuck' to you. Did the gravy taste raw?

From all my experiences with this curry, that's the only part where one can go wrong. After making it so many times myself, even now, if I try to cut short on the cooking time, it does taste raw for me.There are not many masala powders that go into this curry to mask it.

Recently, another reader of mine wrote to me saying it was one the best chicken curries she ever made and now when I get your comment, I wonder, how one recipe can be made in different ways.

I think I have to edit the recipe and make it clear, once again!

Thanks for writing in.I am sure it will help others either to run away from this recipe or learn where they could have gone wrong.

-Ria

Maria said...

ria.. i tried your chicken chilli fry.. tooo good! Irresistable..nd fab!
Guys just make sure you are extra careful at the puree part and right amounts when you add powder..

Unknown said...

Riaaa

Just tried your mammas chicken chilly fry and it was just yum !!
So simple and tasty. Dom just loved it.
Thanks for the tip on frying the tomatoes n onions well, else I wouldn't have done that.
It came out just like the one in you pic :)Added a pinch of mixed spice powder from my end ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...