Ria's Collection: MINI CHICKEN & BELL PEPPER SPRING ROLLS

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

MINI CHICKEN & BELL PEPPER SPRING ROLLS

I just can't believe that it's been a week since I updated my blog! Whoa! See this is what happens when the 'Manavatti' ( gonna-be-bride) goes shopping! :D
It was actually shopping + a small vacation in Trivandrum. But lil did I know that I would come back with a terrible back pain. Went to the doc today and he said it was just a muscular pain...what ever ! All I know is I can't even brush my teeth! ACK!
This is one of my mom's signature snack and we always have atleast one packet ready in our freezer :) It is a super good make-ahead snack, all you need to do is thaw and fry them .I had tried making it 2 years ago for the first time, but it turned out to be something else ( shapewise ) BUT trust me the filling was delicious :)
MINI CHICKEN & BELL PEPPER SPRING ROLLS
Recipe source: My mom

Ingredients:

For the wrapper:
Flour:500g
Oil-1/2 cup
Salt-to taste
Water- as required

For the filling:
Chicken-250 g,boiled & shredded
Cabbage-250 g
Carrot-250g
Beans-250 g
Onion-250g
Bell pepper-1 ,small
Ginger garlic paste-3 tbsp
Soya sauce-1 tbsp
Green chilli- 3-4
Aji-no-moto - a pinch, optional
Salt-to taste
Black pepper powder-to taste
Oil-5 tbsp

Oil for deep frying
Method:

For the wrapper:
  • Mix everthing together and form a soft dough. Leave it aside for 10 mins.
  • Divide them into lime sized balls and roll out into thin flat discs.
  • Heat a flat pan, and cook them only on one side. Make sure you don't end up with dark brown spots on them because they will be too dry to roll up.
  • Continue with the other wrappers in the same manner.

For the filling:
  • Heat oil, and saute ginger garlic paste.
  • Add the vegetables and mix well. Cover and cook them till they turn soft making sure you give them a good stir often.
  • Add the soya sauce & salt.
  • If you want it to be more spicy, add some black pepper powder.
  • Use this to fill the wrappers.

Assembly:
  • Put the filling on the uncooked side of the wrapper
  • Check this video to see the rolling up of the wrapper with the filling inside .
  • Deep fry and serve hot with a sauce of your choice.
I always try to stay away from these because I know I can never stop with 1 ! It remains crisp for few hours provided you don't leave them under a fan! :)

You can make these as tiny as our lil finger or slightly bigger. If it's the latter, you can cut them diagonally and serve!


19 Comments:

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi Ria. Hope you will recover soon from your back pain.
These spring rolls are irresistible, no one can eat just one...Would like to try your mom's version of making wrappers.
Is that you in the video?
http://cooking-goodfood.blogspot.com

Tina said...

Hallo manavatti..shopping okke evide ethi kalyanathinu vilikunille. Mini chicken spring roll adipoli so crispy....kothi vanuttooo....

Zareena said...

Hi Ria....
Wishing u a speedy recovery n thankyou tons for this yummy recipe.....eppozhaanu kalyanam???

Divya Kudua said...

Hmm..spring rolls look crispy and snack-ilicious..:).Would love to try out the veggie version..!!

Good to see you back.Hope you are getting better.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those look so wonderful! I love that crispy wrapper!

Cheers,

Rosa

Namitha said...

Hi Ria ! Congrats and all the best!! when is your marriage? Hope you will get well soon...
Springrolls look awesome. Very nice pics too...:-)

Sona said...

Hi!
Been a passive visitor of your blog for about a month now. Tried out a couple of your cakes too ;) and Loved IT!
Btw, could I order one of your vanilla packets?
I visit Kannur often, so maybe I can pick it up?
Thanks in advance and..
You rock, girl!

Ria Mathew said...

Thank you all for your kind words!

Pari- Thank you! And yes, that was me in the video :)

Tina- Shopping okke thudangiyathe ollu, ellavareyum vilikkam. Kalyanam Feb-il aanu :)

Zareena- Thank you dear! Kalyanam is on Feb 15 :D

Divya & Rosa- Thank you!!! xx

Gulmohar-Thank you so much! Wedding is on Feb 15 :)

Sona- Hey there! Thanks for being a regular visitor! Wish I had your email id! I don't store vanilla products with me, but if you can let me know what you want, I can arrange it for you!

Btw, thanks for trying out my recipes and letting me know about it!!

xx

Sona said...

Prompt reply! Yay! How cool is that!
this is my email id - sonashareef@gmail.com

And what sort of vanilla products are available? I have eyed the cocoa vanilla powder and plain vanilla. What else?

Thanks mucho!

Parita said...

Rolls look yummy!
Congrats on one yr anniversary! Wish u many more!

Arlene Delloro said...

These look amazing. I could happily eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Sarah Naveen said...

Wow!! Super spring rolls..hats off to ur mom...
Athey kalyanathinu vilikkanam kto...
ella ashamsakalum..

Ivy said...

Great looking spring rolls. Your wrappers are just like the way we make Greek phyllo.

Finla said...

They look beautiful and so yumm, love the violet flowers on top too :-)

Malar Gandhi said...

Hi Ria,
soon to be bride, sweet. get well soon.

spring rolls are inviting, nice and crisp. love it.

Haddock said...

The photographs make it look yummy

Michelle said...

OH the wrapper looks crispy thin and so light and I bet tasty too.

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

The sense of excellent photography and presentation will make anyone's mouth watering...it's so irresistible :D

Veda said...

hey i made veg spring rolls today too! nice to see ur version from making the wrap from scratch....

i will post mine soon!

veda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...