Ria's Collection: CHOCOLATE CHIP OATMEAL COOKIES...with a Dough to GO!

Sunday, December 6, 2009

CHOCOLATE CHIP OATMEAL COOKIES...with a Dough to GO!

I don't drown my sorrows; I suffocate them with chocolate chip cookies.  
Author Unknown

Cookbooks
are an addiction for me and my friends know that very well. Everytime I go shopping, I need to stop by Crosswords to check out the new books. I love Crosswords, you can sit on those soft sinking cushioned chairs , grab a book and just read on...no one bothers you!

Vasu, my best friend from college went to USA in 2007 on an educational tour got me a cookbook. I must admit that I have never baked anything from that book for her! ;) Now talking about the book...it is a winner!

CHOCOLATE CHIP OATMEAL COOKIES
Recipe as adapted from Mrs.Fields I LOVE CHOCOLATE! COOKBOOK
Yields: About 4 dozen

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup quick oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter,softened
3/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans/walnuts
12 oz semisweet chocolate chips

Method:

  • In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder and salt.
  • In another medium bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars.
  • Beat in eggs and vanilla.Gently beat in the flour mixture; then stir in the pecans/walnuts and chocolate chips.
  • Turn half the dough into a wax/parchment paper. Shape into a log 2 inches in diameter. Roll up the log of dough in the wax paper and twist the ends closed. Repeat with the remaining dough. Chill until firm.
  • The cookie dough can be refrigerated for 1 week or frozen for 6 months stored in an airtight plastic bag.
  • To bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 300 deg. If using frozen dough, let it soften slightly at room temperature, then cut the dough log into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
  • Place the slices on a cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake for 22-24 mins or until set.

This recipe is a keeper and the best part is that we can freeze the dough and bake it whenever we feel like! Isn't that a blessing for an all-time chocolate craving person like me? :)

Hope you all are having a beautiful season now! This is my fave month of the year! Love everything about it! :)




11 Comments:

Parita said...

Looks very delicious!!!

Tina said...

Delicious and pretty..Nice clicks as always...

s said...

it looks wonderful...and so chocolatey...

Divya Kudua said...

Oh Ria..Christmas spirit all over your blog..:).Love chocolate cookies,never tried making them.I prefer eggless when it comes to cookies,so might try out an eggless version.So when is THE fruit cake getting baked?

Unknown said...

Welcome back dear. The dough looks awesome. Would love to try this sometime next week!

Shabs.. said...

Your blog looks like it is in a party mood, full of joy and so many baked goodies....this cookie looks too good.....so chunky and chocolatey!!!Just wish to taste that...pinney nammude naattile kunju muttayaano ithinu eduthathu?....or the large ones?

Unknown said...

Love the new look of your blog, apt for the season, aakappade oru festive look aanu :)

Cookies look perfect dear! pics have come out really well :)

Twinsy Rachel said...

CHOCOLATE..tatz my weakness n the reason behind my increasing waistline among other things..yet the chocolate chip dough is very tempting.. to make it guilt-free(though it wont clear my conscience), I think i wud also add whole wheat flour ;) anywayz looks toothsome..

guess wat came to my mind when i saw the christmas spirit in ur blog, "deck the blog with boughs of holly fa..la..la..la"

Seema said...

Hey Ria,

Tried out your Choco Chip cookies. They tasted absolutely delicious. This was my first attempt at making cookies! Thanks Ria, I have blogged this recipe here..

http://amchi-bong-konnexion.blogspot.com/2011/01/choco-chip-cookies.html

Happy New Year to you and Jobin!

Lottsa luv,
Seema

Anitha said...

Hi Ria, love your blog! wanted to know why do we have to add both white sugar and brown sugar for these cookies! Being in Bangalore, brown sugar is not available, so what can be a substituent ?

Ria Mathew said...

Hey Anitha, Thanks so much!! Brown sugar lends a lovely chewiness to the cookies. You can substitute it with grated jaggery (same amount) or with regular white sugar too! :) Don't let these things keep you away from baking any goodies! :) Go ahead and substitute!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...