Ria's Collection: MAHOGANY CAKE with FUDGE FROSTING ~ with 4 tablespoons of Cocoa ~

Thursday, December 17, 2009

MAHOGANY CAKE with FUDGE FROSTING ~ with 4 tablespoons of Cocoa ~


Recently I recieved an order for a birthday cake. While the cake baked and the house was wrapped in it's aroma, I had my brother pestering me for a slice of it :) He knew he wouldn't get a piece from my hands, so he pinched a bit from all 4 corners of the cake...he made sure that they were very even looking so that I wouldn't doubt him! LOL! And I did doubt him :) But they were too tiny and could be filled with a ganache.

And I had never-ending requests for a chocolate cake since then. Unfortunately I ran out of my stock for cocoa powder, which rarely ever happens in our house! But when I digged into my precious li'l cupboard wherein all my goods for baking are stocked, I found an almost empty packet of cocoa. And when I measured it, it had just 4 tablespoons of cocoa. Now, I shall somehow try and bake him a chocolate cake :) And I DID! :) Look what a loving sister he had! And that too with a frosting! :)

He was sleeping while I baked. And when he woke up he had this huge grin because he could get the smell of the cake. He ran towards it with a knife, and I ran from the opposite side and hugged the cake! LOL! Remember my rule? No one in my house ever gets a piece until I finish my photosession :) And so he waited...patiently ! :) 

MAHOGANY CAKE with FUDGE FROSTING
Recipe source for the cake: Geetha aunty
Recipe source for the frosting: Beeji aunty

Flour- 1 1/3 cups
Eggs-2
Boiling water- 1/2 cup
Cocoa powder-2tbsp
Instant coffee powder-2tsp
Powdered sugar-1 cup
Unsalted butter-150g
Baking soda-3/4 tsp
Vinegar-1/2 tsp
Salt-1 tsp [Omit if using salted/regular butter]
Vanilla extract-1 tsp

Method:

  • Pre-heat  the oven to 180 degrees.
  • Grease ,dust and line a baking tin.
  • Dissolve coffee powder in boiled water. Add cocoa powder to it and stir well.
  • Sieve flour with baking soda and salt[if using unsalted butter].
  • Cream butter till light and almost white like. Add sugar and beat till fluffy.
  • Add the eggs, and beat till well combined.
  • Add vinegar & vanilla. [The mixture might look curdled, but do not worry, it will be alright once you add in the flour]
  • Add flour alternating with coffee-cocoa mixture. Beat after every addition.
  • Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour.

Fudge Frosting

Ingredients:
Cocoa-2 tbsp
Milk-3tbsp
Butter-50 g
Icing sugar-225 g
Caster sugar-75g
Vanilla-1/2 tsp

Method:

  • Mix cocoa and icing sugar in a medium sized bowl.
  • Melt butter, caster sugar and milk together till the sugar dissolved on meduim flame.
  • Once it is melted, bring to a roaring boil and pour over the cocoa-icing sugar mixture.
  • Stir well with a wooden spoon till well mixed and fluffy.
  • Stir till the mixture cools down a bit.
  • Pour over the cake and level it.


This icing hardens very soon, so just in case you  are new to decorating cakes, keep a bowl or warm water next to you. So that in case the frosting hardens, dip your offset spatula/spoon/ knife into the warm water and wipe it clean with a kitchen towel and level the frosting. It will give you a good finish. You can also use the hardened frosting to pipe rosettes on the cake.


This cake was a HIT at home. It is real soft & moist.Once you try this, I am sure it will be your favourite! My brother finished 3/4th of the cake by night and I am having the remaining bit now, while I type this post out. Mmmmmmmmm....



23 Comments:

Tina said...

Wow tempting tempting cake...Parcel one cake to my address dear......Really soft and mouthwatering....

Divya Kudua said...

Hmm..the pics are too tempting Ria..:).I've never heard the name before[for a cake:)].Looks really chocolatey despite adding just 4 tbsp of cocoa..lucky bro..:)

Twinsy Rachel said...

adipoli.....Yum, yum, yummmmy

Melanie said...

Beautiful!

Unknown said...

Yum!! This cake looks delicious!! Lol looks like you have a great job to face, each time you make something, protecting it from your brother!!

Angie's Recipes said...

A splendid chocolate treat!

Reny said...

Wow...wow !!!..Ria...this one i will try out ...and that too today itself...i think i have become a bakin freak...and by the way the Zebra cake ..did bake..it came out good..theres a story to it ..will write to u with a pic...

Ally said...

lip smacking...muuaaah!

Chef Jeena said...

What a lucky brother you have, I would love to have a sister like you if I woke up to one of these tasty treats in the morning!

Michelle said...

Hey Ria!

OH MY...such a rich, chocolate cake! And I adore the way you decorated it...the little knobs of chocolate frosting are just perfect.

Unknown said...

Do you bake a cake daily?? And I wonder who eats it. You make me drool everyday!!

Ria Mathew said...

Tina,Twinsy,Melanie,Avanika,Angie, Jeena -Thank you all :)

Divya Kudua - It is indeed very chocolatey!

Reny- Good to hear that you liked the Zebra cake, lemme know how this one goes for you!

Ally- Mwwahh!

Michelle - Thank you :)

Divya Vikram - These days,yes! :) And me and my bro finishes them! :) We both loovvve cakes!

Suparna said...

hey Ria,
The cake looks gorgeous! I'll bake this for christmas :) am already dreaming of baking this one ;) looks yummmmmmmmmmmmy!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and Your family dear!!!
TC
God Bless

Soumya Thomas said...

Hi ria,

I have been researching ur blog area for the past week or so..abd day before I baled this cake and it was a hit among me an my husband ;-) loved the recipe...thanks a lot for it....

I have a couple of questions tough.. I used 4 tbsp cocoa alltogether, but both the cake and the frosting came out to be much lighter in color.

Also the cake was done in a little more than half hour (@180 C), so I didnt bake it for one hr ...

Do you think there is something wrong in the way i did it?

Ria Mathew said...

Suparna- I hope you liked it :)Btw, it's been really long since I heard from you. Hope you are well!

Soumya- Thank you so much for trying, I am so happy that you both liked it.

Here are the answers for your questions :)

1.The colour of the cocoa depends on the brand. We always use imported cocoa at home (in India) because it gives a darker colour. It adds more to the appeal . Whichever cocoa it is, it sure will taste good.

2.Every oven is different.Even I have had this issue, the book might say 35 mins and there have been times when I baked it for 1 hour :) so go with the timing of your oven. Check whether it is done with a toothpick. Insert the toothpick into the centre of the cake and pull it out. If it comes out clean, then the cake is done :) So go by this test when in doubt :)

There is nothing wrong with what you did :)

I hope this helps, if not , do let me know! :D

Thanks!

Soumya Thomas said...

Wow..thanks a lot for the quick reply .I was hoping you would answer them :-).. next time I am gonna try with better brand of cocoa powder..

i will try more of ur cakes and desserts and send our feedback.. I am sure they r gonna be great :-)

S said...

Hi... I tried this y'day ... and the cake turned out perfect but couldn't spread the icing well...

Anyways lovely recipe.... and quite easy... too

Anonymous said...

Hi Ria,

I have been having a chocolate craving since yesterday and I always love to bake something apart from what I normally do!!! Your site always inspires me to try something and I am never disappointed. Loved this one which I made today, tweaking a little bit here and there...Thanks a ton...and do drop byt when you can!

Shobha

Anonymous said...

Hey Ria,

Tried this twice already and we all loved it....YUMMO! Have posted it on Anubhavati...do drop in and take a peek!!!

Shobha

Newbie................ said...

Love.. Love.. Lovedddd.. this recipe of ur's.. Tried this 4 my hubbys B'day n it was a super hit..!! Thanks a ton! :)

Anu Ragesh

pravy said...

hi Ria,

i made this cake it came out very well...i am doing icing for first time ven i spread icing it sticked on the knife & some of cakes came along with dat..is it due to something went out wrong during mixing??...Is 2 cups of icing sugar equals 225 gms

pravy said...

hi Ria,

i made this cake it came out very well...i am doing icing for first time ven i spread icing it sticked on the knife & some of cakes came along with dat..is it due to something went out wrong during mixing??...Is 2 cups of icing sugar equals 225 gms

Ria Mathew said...

Thank you all so much for trying! I'm glad you all liked it!

Pravy, you have to spread this icing as soon as you make it. Don't leave it aside for long. It will be hard to spread and the problems you faced will come up again. I am not sure about the weight and cup measurement conversions. I am pretty sure 2 cups is more than 225 g though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...