Ria's Collection: SPINACH & CORIANDER CHICKEN...deliciously heathy!

Friday, April 9, 2010

SPINACH & CORIANDER CHICKEN...deliciously heathy!

As much as I love packing , I hate unpacking! Unfortunately I cannot help it because we have just moved into our new house. And all the bags that we had carried all the way from India needs to be attended now! SIGH! Yesterday, I was arranging the footwear closet and that's when I realised I had carried 10 pairs of footwear all the way! After that, I was li'l hesitant to open up my suitcases which carried my clothes! :)


 And now onto cooking while unpacking: I have to admit that our kitchen is not yet completely stocked. So beware! :) For the next few days I'll be cooking with all what I have! You might find greens in a chicken curry or chicken in a veg curry or sometimes even no curry! :D

Lack of ingredients is the mother of all experiments! :) That's exactly how this chicken curry was born! I just threw in all what I had with me...and while I did so, I wished some ginger and green chillies would fly in too! I am really short of ingredients! But that gives me something to blame upon if the curry turnes out bad! ;)


SPINACH & CORIANDER CHICKEN CURRY
My own recipe

Ingredients:
Chicken - 750 g , cut into pieces ( I used boneless)
Red chilli powder- 1/2-3/4 tbsp
Coriander powder-1 1/2 tbsp
Garam masala- 1 tsp
Onion- 1 big, chopped [I used yellow onions, since there were no red in Walmart then.]
Tomatoes- 2 medium, chopped
Spinach leaves- a handful, chopped
Coriander leaves- 1 small bunch, chopped
Garlic- 5-6 cloves, finely chopped ( I do not own a mortar n pestle...so :(
Ginger- 1 " piece, finely chopped ( I did not add since I did not  have it, but it will enhance the taste of the curry)
Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
Water-1/4 - 1/2 cup
Oil- 5-6 tbsp

Method: 
  •  Wash and clean the chicken. Keep aside.
  • Heat oil, add the mustard seeds and when it pops add ginger- garlic and saute well.
  • Add in onions and cook till translucent.
  • Add in chopped tomatoes and cook till soft.
  • Add in the powders including salt and cook well till the raw smell goes.
  • Add in the chicken pieces and water, mix well and cook.
  • When chicken is halfway done, add in spinach leaves and coriander leaves and mix well.
  • Cook till the chicken is done and the gravy is nice and creamy.
  • This curry is perfect with rice and chapathi.
    Verdict:
    Jobin loved the curry so much that he was very particular that nothing goes waste...even the last bit on the spoon! Even I loved it :)

    14 Comments:

    Vandana Sarah said...

    awesome .. i was looking for an idea for tonight ... this is what i will make godwilling!! :)

    BTW: something that occured to me .. while all that you dreamt of in the baking section was on this side of the 7 seas .. and now for the curry stuff .. a lot of ingredients are on the other side that you left behind ... Crazy right ... Life likes to throw ironies .. at us...:)

    Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

    that look delicious Ria. lovely gravy

    Unknown said...

    That looks amazing, I would really enjoy that for dinner. It looks like something from an Indian restaurant. Yummy!

    Janice said...

    I love spinach in curry. This looks so delicious.

    Prerna said...

    If something like that comes out of a "not so stocked kitchen" then I really wish u run out of stuff frequently ;-)
    I'm such a fan of spinach chicken. Recipe's wonderful!

    Suhaina said...

    Wow....cool blog with super duper recipes and photos.Love to follow uu.
    Curry look super delicious.

    Ninu said...

    hey ria, i just ate this and here i am to give you my update..
    THIS ROCKED!!! the flavour was so wonderful... i love greens so the addition of the spinach and the coriander really hit the spot...the only difference i made was up the amount of chilli to 1 tbsp, we like it hot around here! =)
    love it. cant wait to see the next recipe.
    cheers!

    Raks said...

    Amazing, professional photography!!

    Unknown said...

    I loved the color of this curry, very nice!

    Michelle said...

    OH MY WORD does this look incredible or what! My husband would be over the moon with your dish!

    C Me said...

    Hey Ria,
    I am gonna try this out today....wish me luck...Let you know how it turns out...Pics will be on FB...
    Thanks for the easy cooking recipe..

    Cassie

    mivaish said...

    Hey Ria.. I tried this dish out.. it was a big big hit.. everyone was licking the chicken bones too :) :) I also added a little mint into the curry.. and it tasted great. Thanks for the recipe.

    Board Solutions said...

    Ria: Fantastic recipe! I didn't have everything in the recipe, but what we did have worked out wonderfully!

    Unknown said...

    Tried this recipe today.. It came out really well. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...