Ria's Collection: FINNEGAN'S CHOCOLATE CREAM CAKE...for me from him :)

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

FINNEGAN'S CHOCOLATE CREAM CAKE...for me from him :)


Baking a cake is so much fun, I have been seeing my Mom and Sister bake cake ever since I was a child. My Mom was well known for her Christmas cake and Lamingtons in the place I grew up. My Sister took up baking as a subject and won the President of India's award for baking. Though I never baked a cake all my life, the closest I came to baking a cake was to stir the ingredients, that’s how my Mom used to motivate me. Stir well and you get a yummy cake. As a child I used to always think the women in my family were the best bakers, and it turned out to be true, my wife is an amazingly wonderful baker. I am sure there are many people who stand as a testimony for my Ria’s baking skills. That’s just another reason to have Ria as my life partner.

Ria turned 25!! Yeah 25 this year, a milestone in one’s life. I think that’s a better way to calculate you are getting old. When asked what she needed for her birthday, one of her wishes were to have me bake a cake for her birthday. My reply was an instant yes, at that time I dint know what I just signed up for. And till a couple of days before she turned 25, she again reminded me about the cake. The only thing I was a little apprehensive about was how do I mix the ingredients? Very soon I realized Ria has all the fancy tools to bake a cake. So there I was all ready to make it for her. I dint have to bother about what cake to make as Ria figured it all out.

Finnegan’s chocolate cream cake is what I made, this is not a regular chocolate cake, but this is something which just melts in your mouth. The cake calls for the usual ingredients along with Irish cream, and chocolate chips.  Detailed ingredients are given below. Ria loved this cake and that’s all I wanted. I am glad I was able to bake this for her. Though I don’t see myself baking regularly, I am ready for her next birthday for another round. I enjoyed baking and had a wonderful day with Ria on her Birthday.  I hope you bake this as well and have a good time enjoying it.

FINNEGAN'S CHOCOLATE CREAM CAKE
Recipe Source: A passion for Baking by Marcy Goldman, pg:236

Ingredients:
For the cake:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups brewed warm coffee
1/3 cup Irish cream liqueur or milk

Chocolate Cream Glaze
3/4 cup whipping cream/fresh cream
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup Irish cream liqueur or strong coffee

Method:
Cake:

  • Pre-heat the oven to 350 deg.F. Generously grease a 12-cup Bundt pan or a 10" tube pan with shortening. 

  • In a mixer bowl, cream butter with both sugars.Then add eggs and vanilla. Blend on low speed for 1 minute until smooth. Add flour,cocoa,baking powder,baking soda and salt. Stir briefly ;then drizzles in coffee and Irish Cream, stirring at the same time to make a smooth,somewhat loose batter.


  • Spoon batter into prepared pan.Bake 55-65 minutes or until the cake springs back when gently pressed with fingertips. Cool cake well and then invert onto a serving platter.


Chocolate Cream Glaze:

  • Bring whipping cream to a boil in a small sauce pan. Add chocolate chips,reduce temperature to low and whisk to blend and melt chocolate.Add Irish Cream .
  • Remove from heat after 1-2 minutes and stir until smooth.Let cool to room temperature before using.If you cannot glaze right away, refrigerate glaze and gently rewarm and then drizzle over cake.



Verdict:
What more can I ask for? This was truly one of the best birthday's I have ever had! This one had many highlights: Me hitting quarter century, my first birthday with Jobin and Jobin baking his first cake...that too for me! I absolutely loved the cake and the whole experience is precious.I will cherish this all my life!To another happy quarter! :)

34 Comments:

Rose /Magpie said...

Wow! That is just so adorable! Happy belated birthday and congrats to Jobin on the awesome cake!It looks yummy! Hope to try it soon

Manju said...

Aww..thats such a lovely post! you are one lucky girl, Ria! :)

Happy Birthday again :)

Divya Kudua said...

Happy birthday to a lucky girl who got a cake baked by her husband!! Jobin,this must be one of the most special things you must have done for Ria,right[among many other things*wink*].I am sure Ria must have enjoyed the Birthday Cake..looks really good!!

Suhaina said...

wow, u hubby is a good cook too. Cake looks soft and fluffy. Yumm.

C Me said...

Awwwweeeeee soooo sweettttttttttttttt..............and the cake does look delicious.....

God bless you both.......

shami's KITCHEN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Madhuli said...

Belated birthday wishes to you Ria..and what a way to celebrate the Milestone..how sweet..God Bless both of you and the cake looks fab..

shami's KITCHEN said...

Belated HAPPY B'DAY Ria......Count Ur Blessings.....How Sweet Of Him.....May U Ve Many More....I Was Waiting Patiently For This.....Luks Great & Yummy....I'm Surely Gonna Try This In No Time....:-)

shami's KITCHEN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pavithra Elangovan said...

Woooooow Jobin !!!! You have done good job.. And the cake is absolutely perfect and wonderful looking. Truely I cannot say this is the first cake you have made and hats off to your skill. And Ria many more happy returns of the day dear!!! This is really wonderful and unforgettable birthday enjoy the day to the fullest!!!!

Rachel said...

Great post...Baking sure runs in the family! And this sure must have made her day...

Suma Rowjee said...

Happy birthday Ria!! Its indeed awesome to have your hubby bake your birthday cake!!

Unknown said...

Perfectly baked cake Ria...b elated bday wishes to u...hope u had a great day!

Indian Khana said...

Wow Ria ..tht's so wonderful yaar...looks just delicious...nice pics..

Unknown said...

lucky you..what a beautiful cake..glad to note that you had a wonderful day..

Vandana Sarah said...

Happy belated birthday Ria ...
AWW AWW AWW AWW AWWW ... that is the sweetest sweetest gesture ...
Ria ..Jobin writes so well... i had tears in my eyes .. God bless you both forever and ever .. and keep you like this happy and loving towards each other .. And I hope this just the first of the next 75 cakes he bakes (one for every birthday to follow)

Happy birthday . i am so sorry i didn't realise you celebrated your 25th!!

Love always
Vandu!!

Finla said...

Wowo you so romantic Jobin, my hubby has never baked anything, well he cooks dinner and all but never baked. Now wonder Ria was head over heels over you, she used to say how much she is missing you before you were married. Now i know why :-)
And Ria this is to you, Happy b'day and you are so lucky to have him.

RMM said...

That's so romantic !!! u're one hell of a lucky girl...That cake looks so yummy....i love chocolate cakes but i hate the ones i make..and had stopped tryin...but i think i should try this one...Hats of to Jobin ....and his wonderful wifey !!! a wonderful pair...really made in heaven !!..Reny.

Shabs.. said...

How sweet of jobin to bake a cake for you.....you guys really makes the perfect pair!...A gift to remember for ever..

collin said...

Wow sooo sweet!!!

Between thanks for sharing the recipe. I will surely try this out.

Take the Cake Personality Test and find out which cake are you like. I have taken the test and have enjoyed a lot. Hope you too will enjoy it. Have Fun!!

Twinsy Rachel said...

Wow... Ria, itz so romantic that Jobin baked u a cake :) If I ask my hubs, I am sure I get to hear his standard answer, "dahling, You know very well that I cant even cook my own Maggi. so while I will help u with dishes, y dont u bake?" Hats off to u Jobin :)

Swapna said...

Great post and perfectly baked cake Jobin:)...Ria you are so lucky who got a cake baked by your hubby!!!

Jamie said...

Jobin, you are too sweet! And what a perfect cake (for a perfect wife, no doubt)! Every woman deserves a fabulous cake baked by a wonderful man for her on her birthday! What a magical gift! Happy Birthday, Ria, dear! Lucky you! I am also going to be baking this luscious cake!

Twinsy Rachel said...

I have been wanting a cake recipe to bake as am going to Munnar this weekend to be with my family. This luks luscious.. will bake this weekend n let u know :)

Twinsy Rachel said...

I have been wanting a cake recipe to bake as am going to Munnar this weekend to be with my family. This luks luscious.. will bake this weekend n let u know :)

Unknown said...

Belated Happy Birthday Ria and you surely are very lucky :) The cake looks awsesome and i am surely going to try it very soon.

AdukalaVishesham said...

what a wonderful way to celebrate your b'day... and the cake came out perfect.. nice post

Parita said...

Many Many Happy Returns Of the Day girl! You are damn lucky :) and the cake looks fab!

M D said...

Happy Birthday Ria. Great to see ur hubby baking a cake for you. I am sure each of us would love and wish it happened to us too!!! I would love to see such a surprise from my husband, only wish he could go further than boiling milk and making tea!!! LOL!!! Wish you bounty-full joy, bundles of happiness and long years of togetherness. Happy Birthday again!!!

Siri said...

Awww! that is so cute and sweet of him to make such a decadent cake for you Ria. Belated Happy Birthday and Cheers to many more!

Siri

amna said...

that's just so sweet!!! glad you had a wonderful b'day Ria :)

Anonymous said...

Love this recipe! Tried it yesterday, but substituted Irish whiskey because that's all I had. It was outstanding. I posted some of your photos and the recipe on my chocolate blog today. I made sure to give you credit and trackbacks! Thanks! Feel free to take a peek! http://www.AnnmarieKostyk.com

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Ria. Jobin is truly the sweetest, that looks like one amazing cake. And the President's award? Really?

suchi said...

Belated happy birthday... God be with you..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...