Ria's Collection: ONION CHUTNEY...a perfect accompaniment !

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

ONION CHUTNEY...a perfect accompaniment !

I love chutneys! Be it coconut chutney,tomato n' onion chutney ,peanut chutney ...anything! I love to dip my crisp, heavily ghee-laden dosa in them and I can go on munching all day long! This is a perfect chutney to kick start or even wind up your day. The tanginess of the tamarind ,the pungent taste of the onions and the spice from the chillies will leave you craving for more!

This is a short and sweet post, because I am quite held up these days with some work at home. So, that explains why I have just 2 photographs for this post. Sometimes I have my posts loaded with pictures and some have very few. It all depends on the time I have at hand, then. I wanted to click more, but time didn't permit me to do it. Maybe, next time ;-)


ONION CHUTNEY
My own recipe


Ingredients
Red onions- 3 medium , chopped roughly
Dry red chillies-5, broken up
Tamarind paste/pulp- 1 -1 1/4 tsp (to your taste)
Salt-to taste
Urad dal- 1 tsp
Oil-3 tsp


Method:

  • Heat a pan, add in the roughly chopped onions and pan fry them (without oil) till they turn light brown.
  • In the same pan, our 1 tsp of oil and add in the broken dried red chillies and fry for 30 secs.
  • Grind the cooled onions, dried red chillies, tamarind and salt together to a fine paste.
  • Heat a pan, add in 2 tsp of oil, add in the urad dal and let it brown.
  • Add in the ground paste and cook for 2-3 mins.
  • Check for salt.
  • Serve with hot ghee dosa/idli.
Verdict: We both love it! Period.

13 Comments:

Sarah Naveen said...

Awesome click Riya!!!!!!! love the color...

Indian Khana said...

I love chutney too...anything wit everything or just plain...e same way I did garlic chutney ie replace onion wit garlic....goin to try this..looks fab

Unknown said...

Love it Ria, Love the presentation as well :)

Nithya said...

Yummy chutney and even if it is just two, both seem to be the best clicks :) awesome

Unknown said...

Looks tangy and delicious. Perfect accompaniment with anything :)

divya said...

Awesome click Riya!!!!!!! love the color...

A_and_N said...

My mother in law does an Onion thokku on similar lines. This looks great!

Prerna said...

Oh Ria! How do u do it?How do u always manage to make me drool??
I myself am a big fan of chutneys and am after garlic chili chutney lately :-)
and also thanks for visiting my blog and also for you lovely comments!

Suma Rowjee said...

Fantastic click Ria!!Love chutneys too!!

Parita said...

Gorgeous color...love it!

Mzungu said...

Love the look of this chutney. Gonna have ot give it a try.

Unknown said...

yummy ..lovely click..

Twinsy Rachel said...

Awesome snap :) What a rich color..reminded me of a kancheepuram saree ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...