Recipe source: Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day by Zoe Francois and Jeff Hertzberg
This recipe yields atleast four 1lb loaves. It can be easily doubled or halved.
Whole wheat flour- 5 1/2 cups
All purpose flour, unbleached- 2 cups
Yeast-1 1/2 tbsp
Vital wheat gluten-1/4 cup
Lukewarm water-4 cups
Sesame seeds- 2 tbsp
- Measure the dry ingredients and add the warm water to it all at once and stir it with a spoon till it comes together.You might have to use your hands to get the last bits of flour together.Do not knead!
- Cover the dough with a lid or plastic wrap and let it rise for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours you can put the dough into the refrigerator to rise overnight or atleast 3 hours. Refrigerated dough is easier to work with.
- Once refrigerated , the dough will seem to have shrunk back upon itself.DO NOT punch down the dough.
- On the baking day, dust the surface of the dough with some flour and pull up a chunk and cut it using a kitchen scissors.
- Shape the dough ( you may need some flour for your hands to prevent sticking) and let it rise on a baking parchment, loosely covered with a plastic wrap, for 90 mins.
- Thirty minutes before baking, pre-heat the oven to 450 F with a baking stone placed in the middle rack ( I use my regular rect.cake pan).Place another tray in the bottom shelf.
- Just before baking, use a pastry brush to paint the top with water. Sprinkle sesame seeds.Slash the loaf with 1/4 -inch deep parallel cuts across the top.
- Place the bread into the oven and pour some hot water into the bottom tray and close the oven door immediately to trap the steam.
- Bake for 30 mins until the crust is browned and firm to touch.
- Store the remaining dough in the refrigerator in a lidded (not airtight) container and use within 14 days.
It was an amazing experience to bake a bread without kneading.I love the fact that it is fuss-free. You just have to mix in everything together and leave it to rise! And it does rise very very well, so make sure you have a large container to hold it all. This recipe has endless possibilities too!
We just loved it...not only did it taste great but it was healthy at the same time!
This healthy bread is Yeastspotted!