Ria's Collection: CHERRY CRUMBLE

Friday, July 30, 2010

CHERRY CRUMBLE





Burp! Oopsie! I should have known that would happen when I gorged on those red beauties. I just don't seem to get enough of it. Ripe.Sweet. Juicy. That's exactly how I would describe the cherries that we get here now. Too good! Everytime I buy them, I plan to bake with it. But it never happened until now.

As I picked the cherries and popped them into the bag, I was already making plans of baking a crumble with it. I can sometimes be so oblivious  because I am busy planning my next move! ;-)

I love warm desserts and cold too...basically I love desserts. So there is no way that I'll turn away from a dessert unless it has weird ingredients like prawns or something! Wait! I wasn't kidding! Last year we had a cake competition in Kannur and my mom participated for it. And me being an onlooker went around reading the name of the other participants and their cakes. My face twitched when I read 'Prawn and Almond Cake'. I thought it must have been a typo and it should have been 'Prune and Almond Cake ' (so much more soothing for the ears!).

Well, it was not a typo and when she presented her cake for judgement, we both could see bits and pieces of prawn sticking out of the cake! Eeeww! That was my instant reaction. I have no idea how the judges ate that! Anyway, my mom bagged the price and we went home happy! :-)












CHERRY CRUMBLE
Recipe source : My Baking Addiction


Ingredients:
2 cups pitted cherries
1/2 c sugar
2 tbsp flour


For the topping:
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/8 tsp baking powder & baking soda
1/4 cup butter, melted


Method:
  • For the filling: Mix fruits, flour and sugar together and divide them among 4 ramekins.
  • For the topping: Mix all the dry ingredients together and pour in melted butter. Mix well and top the fruits completely with it.
  • Bake in a pre-heated oven  at 350 F /180 C for 35 mins or until the topping is golden brown in colour.
  • Serve warm or at room temperature.



Verdict: I must be repeating myself,but I don't care! We loved it very much. I loved the crunch of the crumble topping and the sweeteness of the soft cherries beneath it.
Make sure you choose the right fruit,if it's over ripe it will be a mushy business.

9 Comments:

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...

Gorgeous pics Ria. That is a lovely crumble

Unknown said...

Wow looks yummy,I luv it!

Unknown said...

i made with apple once..this one looks yumm

Divya Kudua said...

Looks awesome Ria..I am seeing so many crumble recipes on blogs these days and I am so tempted to bake them myself!!But I haven't tasted it till date so don't know what to expect and more so,fresh cherries just disappeared from the market!!

Unknown said...

Ahh crumbles are one of my favorite desserts. It was one of the few desserts mom made when I was younger, has a sentimental value :)

Aparna S Mallya said...

The crumbles look beautiful. Loved the pics.

Rachel said...

Lady Ria! I am in awe of the crumble pics...

Unknown said...

Hey Ria...Your food pics are awesome and recipes are unique...Enjoyed surfing your blog...Have been wanting to make crumble for a long time...Will give it a try.

Unknown said...

Hey Ria...Your food pics are awesome and recipes are unique...Enjoyed surfing your blog...Have been wanting to make crumble for a long time...Will give it a try.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...