Ria's Collection: BANANA - BUTTERMILK & OAT MUFFINS

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

BANANA - BUTTERMILK & OAT MUFFINS

Buttermilk Banana & Oat Muffins

We just got back from Las Vegas late last night . We walked and ate so much that I think everything found a balance by the end of the day. Everything was so tempting, especially the crepes they sold at the Caesers Palace! I gorged on their Nutella Crepes with some real good Vanilla Bean ice cream. We got a chance to eat some yummy gelato from Venetian too! All in all, it was a full filled trip.

Banana Oat Muffins

As the plane tickets were booked and hotels reservations made, my brains were working on what to take with us to eat,during our journey. I am surprised that I am thinking this way because I am usually game for anything from hotels/cafe's the minute we leave our home. I just cannot eat healthy when I'm outside. Fries, in all forms beckon me and I know I will succumb to that temptation very easily. I don't even need a dip!

Banana Oat Muffins

Another thing that I have noticed here is that, the more we I eat junk from outside, the fuller and fatter we I become.It doesn't take that long, a few days of eating outside will do that magic to us me. For some reason, when I did the same back in India, that magic never had a chance on me. It could be because I was much more active then. I used to walk quite a lot on the way to college and back. Now, all what I do is sit on the couch and either blog/chat/ stitch/talk over the phone  and yes,once in a while I cook/bake for us to survive !

Banana Oat Muffins

Now getting back to these incredibly moist delicious muffins,they were baked, packed along with my clothes and we were off to Vegas for the weekend. I have used buttermilk instead of milk in the recipe since I know they make the baked goods tender and light. We enjoyed these for lunch on the last day. It was really good plus when you think of what's in it, you will not feel guilty of eating another one!

Oat muffins
BANANA BUTTERMILK & OAT MUFFINS
Recipe source : Honey & Jam
Makes 12 muffins

Ingredients:
1 c flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c sugar
1 c oatmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c butter milk /regular plain milk
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 c vegetable oil
1 c mashed bananas

Method: Preheat oven to 400 F and line your 12 cup muffin pan.

In a small bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together. In a large bowl, whisk the wet ingredients together. Fold the dry into the wet gently and stop as you as you see the last bit of flour disapppear. Do not overmix.Pour 1/4 c of batter into each muffin cup and bake for 18 mins till the tops are golden brown and the centre done. Cool in tin for 5 mins and then leave them to cool completely on a wire rack. Enjoy!

Banana Oat Muffins

Try these muffins straight out of the oven or have it warm. It's very good!

19 Comments:

Jobin said...

it was good and yum, had it for lunch

Divya Kudua said...

Good to know you had a fun filled trip.Whenever we drive to Bangalore,I pack enough for a small pettikkada in our back seat and the moment we reach the highway,the bingeing starts:).Awesome pics and very wholesome recipe for a muffin!

chef and her kitchen said...

Delicious muffins..looks yumm

Princy Vinoth said...

lovely light muffins.i love buttermilk in cakes.

Zareena said...

Lovely Ria. Nice presentation with the cloth ribbon. A very lovely dish to carry along while travelling. Hope you enjoyed a lot.

gigi said...

Ria,

so happy am i see ur recent posts..they are quite often these days and so varied also..its so fun...most of the times, i read ur blog from the reader and so could not comment these days. but then while scrolling down the recipe, something struck me that i had to..had to..comment...

ria..u said..whole wheat flour??..u mean our gothambu podi (atta)???...say yes,pls....i really wanted to try a healthier version of cakes which don't use maida..

and what is that oatmeal stuff?

Priti said...

Hi Ria!

I tried your recipe for these muffins as soon as you posted it :) and they came out soft, moist and so fluffy and light! Loved them! I halved the recipe, substituted whole milk for buttermilk and cardamom for vanilla since I ran out of it. I also used olive oil since thats what I had at home. I added some more sugar after tasting the batter since the bananas I had were not very sweet. I am not much into baking but this recipe was so easy and seemed healthier than usual so I had to give it a try. Thanks for sharing it and I hope you will post more such easy and healthy baking recipes. Thank You!

Ria Mathew said...

Thank you everyone for your feedback!

Divya, when we travel by car even our backseat is a thattukada :) When we fly, we have weight restrictions you see ;-)

Gigi, yes, it's regular atta/gothambu podi that I have used here. I have used the same for my Lemon cake plus a lot of other recipes which are on this blog. Oatmeal is nammude sadharana Oats :-) I hope you like these muffins!

Priti, awesome!!! That was so quick! :)

Priti said...

Ria, The muffins have vanished! :) I made them yesterday as I commented above. I shared one with a chinese colleague and she was surprised its homemade and complimented 'You are a good cooker' :)

Look at the ingredients...oats, banana, regular aata, just 1 egg, very little oil and sugar - are u kidding me!!! I HAD to make this as soon as I saw it and I am SO glad I did. A big Thank You! :) I am going to make these again.

Priya Suresh said...

Cant wait to try these beauties..

Pritam said...

Hi Ria,

The recipe looks simple and healthier, I will surely try it out soon. I always had this doubt- how interchangeable are recipes for muffins and cakes? I mean, can we use these same ingredients in the same quantity for these muffins and bake a cake instead? If not, what changes you think will be required?

Thanks,
Pritam

P.S. I comment rarely-love your blog! :)

Gurgaonflowerplaza said...

Really Yummy!!!
Gurgaonflowerplaza.com

Gurgaonflowerplaza said...

Really Yummy!!!
Gurgaonflowerplaza.com

Ria Mathew said...

Pritam,Thank you :) People usually mistake a muffin for a cupcake/cake. They are not the same. A muffin is a quick bread where as a cupcake is a little cake baked in paper cups.

You can bake this batter in a big tin to look like a cake but it cannot be called a cake as they are different.You may use an 8 inch tin to bake it at the same temperature for a little longer time but keep checking for doneness.

Nevertheless, it will definately not stop you from enjoying the goodness :) I hope you bake them, it's really good!

Anu said...

Hi Ria,
hw pleased one can be when you have some bananas when noone wants it and i come across this recipe! i went immediately to get some buttermilk and use up my poor bananas!! i made it into a cake and it was yum! great ria! :)

Anu said...

hi ria ,
great recipe!extra happy when i came across ur recipe when i had some bananas waiting there when noone wanted it! i made it into a cake n i like it coz its hving oatmeal n wholewheat!

Manju said...

muffins are my fav :)..will try this...thanks ria..
as usual wonderful clicks

Unknown said...

Hi ria,
I made this into a cake..it was so yummy..posted here with your link..
http://www.creativesaga.com/2012/05/banana-oats-cake.html
Thanks a lot for the recipe..

Unknown said...

Vegas sounds like so much fun. And the muffins look like they'd be perfect with morning coffee :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...