Ria's Collection: ORANGE & RUM GLAZED FRUIT CAKE ( with video!)

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

ORANGE & RUM GLAZED FRUIT CAKE ( with video!)

Orange & Rum Glazed Fruit Cake
Iam a lover of a well-made Rich Fruit Cake. By that I mean, it should be moist,slice well without any crumbles, should be dark in colour and of course, taste good. For me, those criteria can be met only by a homemade Rich Fruit Cake. Bakeries have always disappointed me.Maybe I haven't tried a good bakery yet! :)
Orange & Rum Glazed Fruit Cake
Every Christmas, I make the traditional Rich Fruit Cake for us. I thoroughly enjoy soaking the fruits,stirring it every now and then to make sure the liquor is evenly distributed. On the day of making the cake, I feel so happy. No other cake can make me that happy. That's the magic of Christmas and Christmas Cake!

This recipe is a fun twist to the traditional Rich Fruit Cake. It's light in colour but filled to the brim with flavour! I found this recipe from Mrs.Anita Issac when I was home after Zara was born. I trust her recipes because they never fail. They are always easy to make and are always crowd pleasing! I had to make some adjustments to the original recipe. I added an extra egg and 3/4 cup milk to make the batter lighter.
Orange & Rum Glazed Fruit Cake
This cake is incredibly moist and slices like a dream! They stay fresh for over a week,at room temperature. I am sure it will stay fresh longer if stored in the refrigerator,which I haven't gotten a chance to try. One batch yields two nine inch round cakes. I kept one plain and frosted the other one. Both are equally good. The frosting gives it a bit more festive look.
Orange & Rum Glazed Fruit Cake
The shiny glaze you see in the video will turn firm and translucent once cooled. That's how a glaze should be. You can eat the cake as soon as it is frosted or you can wait for the glaze to firm up a bit.Once it's firm, you can slice them up and even stack them in a container. They will not stick to each other.



Orange & Rum Glazed Fruit CakeORANGE & RUM SOAKED FRUIT CAKE
Yields two 9 inch round cakes

Ingredients:
Cake:
500 grams salted butter
600 grams sugar (you can use powdered)*
6 eggs
500 grams flour
1.5 teaspoon baking powder
1 batch soaked fruits (recipe given below)
1 tablespoon orange zest
2 tablespoon orange juice
2 tablespoon rum
1/4 cup honey
3/4 cup milk

Orange glaze:
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon rum

Fruit soak:
550 grams mixed dry fruits,nuts & candied peels
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup dark rum

Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line the cake tins with parchment paper.
For the fruit soak, mix all the ingredients together and let it soak in the fridge in a covered container for a minumum of 3 days. Stir it once a day. I kept it for one week.

Detailed method for making the cake & glaze can be found in the video.

*Recipe updated on 13 December '17. I had initally mentioned the sugar to be 300 grams. It was a typo and is corrected now. Sorry!

We loved this cake! I think I will be making this cake along with my Rich Fruit cake for every Christmas from now on. It is incredibly tasty and colourful.I have a glass cake stand with a dome and these cake slices look so beautiful in it! Like little jewel studded cake slices.

I hope you are enjoying the videos and don't forget to share them if you do!

11 Comments:

Unknown said...

Hello! Can this recipe be used for baking in a 10 cup capacity bundt tin?

Ria Mathew said...

Of course, yes!

vids said...

Hi,
The recipe looks yum and I am planning to try it. I noted that you have mentioned salted butter. Is that a typo or do you actually use salted butter?
All cake recipes call for unsalted butter, so wanted to confirm about this.
Thanks!

vids said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ria Mathew said...

Hi! It's not a typo. I used what I had on hand. If you look closely, every recipe that uses unsalted butter uses a tiny bit of salt( 1/4 tsp usually). So if you use salted butter, omit the salt given in the recipe (which is why I havent mentioned any) .I hope you enjoy the cake! Please report back 😊

vids said...

Hi Ria - I tried the recipe for the holidays and it was absolutely yummy. Definitely my go to recipe for rum cake going forward. Thank you for sharing :)

Unknown said...

I used Orange juice to soak the fruits. I used the left over juice and thickened it to glaze the cake. Is really Orangey tasting. Does it go well on the fruit cake.

Ria Mathew said...

Vids, Thank you! It’s a favourite at ours too!
Nazlin, if you follow the recipe as given, it will be just fine. If there’s any tweaking done, then I am not sure.

Unknown said...

Very delicious, I have used differ fruits, but the taste was still amazing!

Sithara said...

Hey riya..Tried this recipe for holidays.I just added cranberries n some tutti fruti n it was soo good.. Orange and cranberry was a perfect flavour for thanksgiving..

Sruthi said...

Came out really well.. cake was ultra moist!! Thanks for sharing

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...