Ria's Collection: Kuttanadan Chicken Roast

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Kuttanadan Chicken Roast

It's water water everywhere! That would be my best description for Pallikuttumma(Kuttanad,Alleppy). If there is any place on earth (I visited till date ;D) that I haven't had enough of the beauty,food and everything nice is my "MOTHERLAND" [Story for that weird name follows :D] We usually alight at Changanaserry and someone would already be there to pick us up and the best part of the vacation starts from Perunna ( that's where you take the turn to this heavenly place on earth)! There's something about the smell in the air...i love it! It's a mix of hay,water hyacinth,ducks, paddy and of course the water too! It's so rustic[hehe.. like rustic bread!] I just cant get enough of it!! The whole of Kuttanad is surrounded by water, full of ducks quacking all around,with snake boats small & big... mmm lovely memories flooding back! Just waiting for my next visit to Pallikuttumma!! :D

Today's post is all about the Chicken Roast Amma makes. It's got nothing to do with the western style roast...it's absolutely different!


It's an absolute simple recipe which is super duper easy ! I can promise you rather guarentee you that it will be an instant hit!! You just cannot go wrong with this one!! :)

Kuttanadan Chicken Roast
Recipe from my mom

Chicken- 1 kg cut into pieces
Red chilli powder-2 tbsp [We use Kashmiri red chilli powder because it lends a beautiful colour and is less spicy]
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Onions-5-6 medium sized ,sliced fine
Tomatoes-2 big,chopped
Garam Masala-1 tbsp
Salt-as required
Ginger garlic paste- 2 tbsp
Water-1 1/2 cups
Ghee/Oil- 1/2 to 1 cup [We use half ghee -half oil]
Curry leaves-1 sprig

Method:
  • Put chicken pieces, powders,salt and ginger garlic paste,onions,tomatoes and 3-4 tbsp of oil/ghee into the cooker and give it a mix.
  • Cook on medium flame for 1 whistle.
  • Remove the pieces. Reserve the gravy.
  • Fry the pieces in oil/ghee till lightly browned.Keep aside.
  • To the reseved gravy,add water and saute till it's dark maroonish brown in colour. Add oil/ghee if necessary.
  • Add the fried chicken pieces and mix till well coated.
  • Garnish with curry leaves and serve hot with rice,chapathi,parata etc.




The story behind"MOTHERLAND"

This happend when I was in class 2. I clearly remeber that I was sitting in the second last bench when this happend and it was almost time to go home.

We had a girl called 'Aline' in our class. She came from Dubai and could speak fluent English! OMG! now that's something big for us then! LOL! And we tried our level best to speak to her in English(she is a Konkani,but can speak Malayalam as well!) ! And it so happend that our school was closing for Christmas holidays and we kids were busy discussing about it. I was going to my Amma's house. And since Aline was sitting next to us, I was conscious to speak in english. Then my friend asked me " Ria, Ni evideya poonne?? " (which means-Ria, where are you going?) and in reply to that I said " To my 'MOTHERLAND' for 4-5 days and then i'll be back to myFATHERLAND!!!! "

LOL! I can't stop laughing even now! And the best part was no one...not even Aline...our english GURU then realised the mistake!! :P Now I know how much she knew!!

To know how much that english GURU knew...here's another story:

Most of the blogs have these lines under their post...to CONTINUE after the jump or toCONTINUE reading click here.... etc . Whenever I read that word this story comes into my mind:

Again in class 2 with Aline our english GURU :D

We used to have dictation( the teacher says a word and we need to spell it) for 10 english spellings every week.So we used to write it in our 'test book'. And even then there would be lot of space on that page. And after the test, we would line up in a queue next to the teacher's table for correction. Our teacher's name was Ms.Margaret.
After mine was corrected,she put the marks and signed on it. Then she said, "You canCONTINUE here(For the next test )". DAMN!! now what does continue mean?? Did that mean... to write down the spellings 10 times each?? (din't have the word imposition in my dictionary then LOL! ) or did it mean that I need to do wait there next to her???

I still clearly remeber the tension I had then!OMG! that classroom is coming into my mind now! :D So I ran to Aline without losing anytime (What if I get beaten by our teacher??) and asked her the meaning of CONTINUE ?? ALAS! she shook her head! LOL! I had no other go but to go back to my seat and wait ( din't have the nerves to go back to my teacher...she was a terror for us! ) hehehe...


Now it's time for y'all to see my MOTHERLAND! I love Pallikuttumma!!!
...paddy field
Kathakali performers being transported in a vellam/snake boat


Karimeen/Pearl spot barbeque night.


Hmmm... I felt like I just had a short trip back to my MOTHERLAND...did y'all feel the same?? ;)

-Ria



40 Comments:

Lena Jayadev said...

Ria..This is amazing..im drooling here..wonderful snap ria..awesome... :)

Suparna said...

hi ria,
Lol...wonderful read that was :) the english situation rises in everyones life in someway or the other ...god! I really find it funny.Thanks for sharing ur nostalgia:)The pics are so beautiful...no wonder it's rightly called God's own country!!
Thanks for the authentic recipe.
TC

Swapna said...

Chicken Roast looks delicious Ria!!! I am drooling here....:) nice post!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That dish looks so scrumptious and deliciously spicy! Thanks for the great pictures! Wow, i love your backyard!!!

Cheers,

Rosa

Ivy said...

Ria the dish sounds amazing but I enjoyed so much reading your story with the jokes and those pictures are so exotic and lovely for us here in Europe. Ria I have added you to my blogroll and reader so that I can follow all your lovely recipes.

Zareena said...

thanx for the short trip to kuttanad Ria!!!!!i've been longing to go to kuttanad since years...

Ammu said...

Am definitely planning to try this one out Ria.. tempted me too much!! And loved reading through your tough English days :D ..Didnt knw kuttanad was also called pallikuttumma..When i once visited some family in kuttanad there was no road transport ,only the vallam..the aleppey route and the kuttanad boat rides are still my most fav places in Kerala. thanks for bringing back the beautiful memories with your pics!

Vandana said...

Nice Read Ria .!! .. It gave me nostalgia too .. I have only passed by Pallikutuma and I can't be nod my head in agreement about the enthralling sights outside the car window. My mom is also from Kuttanad and my memories from childhood are all coming back to me now!! :)

And thankyou so much for the Kuttanadan chicken recipe.

Sakshi said...

Lolz that was a fun trip to your motherland...what the hell that's your backyard?? my backyard starts and end at my neighbours balcony...sigh!! My fave pic is the one with the Kathakkali artists in the vellam..wish I could take my camera and be there to click all that...
oops now about your roast..a daughters guarantee abt her mom's recipe is all I need to try it out very soon..

Anonymous said...

Mmmm... this chicken preparation sounds outstanding! Such wonderful flavors! Love the spiciness!

Pooja said...

hey ria

ur chicken recipe looks so inviting! i've been to kerala a number of times... i like the greenery there..thanx for the trip :-)

veena said...

wow Ria ...
ende ayil eppol kappl oodikkan ulla vellam und ..chicken roast looks so tempting dear ..great work and nice clicks tooo..keep up the great work

Unknown said...

Spicy roast and a beautiful Motherland I must say,thanks for sharing those priceless moments of childhood innocence:).

Unknown said...

Am just drooling over the chicken dish!Made authentic!

Unknown said...

am going to try this recipe for sure. really good one and beautiful pics too! btw, my fatherland (chry) is very close to your motherland ;) and my appa's relatives are there in pallikuttama.

Shabs.. said...

Hey Ria....U got a very beautiful blog in here....that kuttanadan curry looks too good....and other puddings around here as well...I recieved ur email regarding the event....Count me in...i will send some...
cheers..

Sanghi said...

Yummmy yummmy chicken roast! nice clicks too!

Unknown said...

LOL Ria!! Motherland and fatherland!! :) You write really well...I can actually picture it happening.

SindhuBhairavi said...

hmmmmm !! everything here is tempting! the chicken.. !! i think i have to find one and cook right away but my lunch is already done! :( and have a party tonight so no dinner to be made.. ! will try this too another day..

thanks for sharing those picutres and ur memories.. loved reading it.. they made me smile all the way!!

Ann said...

I tried two of your recipes in a day! This is superb - definitely a keeper in my book. Oh - my hubs sends a thumbs up too for thsi recipe - thats HUGE!

Unknown said...

Riakutty, I made this chicken roast yesterday.We had some friends coming over for dinner and everybody enjoyed this a lot, especially Jose. He kept on saying that the chicken was great!! Thanks a lot dear for this wonderful recipe and thanks to your mom also :)

Ria Mathew said...

Thank you Zaara & Maria for trying it! It feels so good when someone tries it and then let me know how well they enjoyed it :)Thanks again!

xx

Ammu said...

Hey ther..i was Supposed to tell you before Maria that i tried out this one ..but lazy me didnt do it till nw..The dish came out very well..and the main inspiration for trying out was how simple it was and how yummy it looked..I wasnt disappointed at all..it took least effort and was very tasty that I had recommended to maria to try it out soon..She trusted my taste sense and your recipe very much I guess to try it out first on guests..You can take that as a double compliment!!! next am planning to try your mamma's signature recipe..chicken chilli fry!!! Will let you knw soon!

Asha said...

hey ria i tried ur chicken roast twice..:)every one just loved it..i love this bcos its so easy & tastes fantastic..btw i have seen u during ur schooldays in burnacherry church..u r Prinu's cousin rt.

Pravs said...

chicken roast looks super delicious !

Unknown said...

It looks very yummy...Great dish..I tried this and it came out really well.

Ria Mathew said...

Ammu,Asha,Maliny-Thank you so much for trying!! I am so happy that you guys liked it! Yeeaaayyy! :)

Pravs-Thank you :)

Justbeanme said...

This was the very first tempter which i tried from ur blog n boom-zoom it was super hit...!!! There is no looking back after that.. I still keep knocking u...............

Justbeanme said...

u virtually took all of us to short and tempting trip to Kuttanada ..........rightly said pictures speak more than words....

Unknown said...

Thanx Ria for such an awesome recipe....I just tried & tasted it nw...ur words indeed did take me to my MOTHERLAND....

Ria Mathew said...

Justbeanme,Jemy

Thank you so much for trying and telling me how you liked it! You guys rock!

caroline said...

I made this dish today and it turned out really well. I am also amazed at how simple it was to prepare. Thanks!

Gayatri Vengayil said...

This is my all time favorite! Always comes out well. Thank you my friend.

Anisha said...

Heyy Ria,I tired out this ecipe on Valentine's day and thnakfully it came out well and my husband was all praises :)

Thanks for such an awesome recipe!

Rafeeda AR said...

hi... tried this for chapathis during the weeekend and came out awesome... :)

Unknown said...

Hi ria.. Tried the recipe for the weekend. Too good .. Happy results :) ....thanks

Unknown said...

This was a signature chicken dish from your blog. Like you have mentioned, "you can't go wrong with this dish". Amusing taste, brilliant texture and the odour in itself was pleasant enough to make people drool over it. Excellent ! ! !

Ash said...

Hi Ria ,
I tried this dish ,one pot chicken and your mutton recipes .All came out really good.I have become a frequent visitor of your blog.Thank you.Looking forward for more of recipes

Ash said...

Hi Ria ,
I tried this recipe ,one pot chicken and mutton recipes.All came out really good.I have become a frequent visitor of your blog.Looking forward for many more recipes(fry version ).Thank you

Unknown said...

Hi, my friend had told me to check out your food blog and I'm glad I did. Made this recipe today and it is delicious. Thanks a bunch for uploading it. Can't wait to try out the others!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...