Ria's Collection: ~ *Peaches & Cream Gateau with Hazlenut Sponge *~

Monday, July 27, 2009

~ *Peaches & Cream Gateau with Hazlenut Sponge *~





It was my Grand Aunt's birthday yesterday and I had been planning to make a cake for her for the Birthday Party. But I really din't know what flavour that I should be making...she is 87 :) All I knew was I had to make something with Peaches and Cream because I had a tin of peaches from my Ooty trip and 2-3 packets of cream which was about to hit the expiry date! Cream is too precious for me to waste ...we rarely find them in stores here :)

So finally after I tweeted for help... my friends Deeba, Helen & Jeena gave me so many tips with which I could decide upon one :)
I also had some Hazlenuts which were given to me by my Sweetheart Jobin! Mmmmwwaaahh! ;) So I thought of using them as well !
Peaches & Cream Gateau with Hazlenut Sponge

For the sponge: Recipe by Deeba
Eggs - 6
Flour-150 g -3 tbsp
Sugar-150 g
Cornflour-1 tbsp
Ground hazlenuts-2 tbsp
Baking powder-1 tsp

Method:
  • Beat the eggs and sugar till thick and mousse like in consistency.
  • Fold in the flour sifted along with cornflour, ground hazlenuts, and baking powder.
  • Pour into a prepared tin ( I used my springform 9" tin) and bake till done (mine took 30 mins).

For the filling:
Cream-400 ml
Peaches- 1 tin
Powdered sugar-5-6 tbsp
Chopped Hazlenuts - 50 g

Method:
  • Whip the cream until thick and form soft peaks by adding powdered sugar little by little.
  • Slice the peaches lengthwise and keep them ready.Reserve the syrup.

For the decoration on top:
Sliced peaches
Whipped cream
Hazlenuts,whole
Assembly:
  • Slit the sponge cake into 3 or 4 layers.
  • Sprinkle the reserved syrup from the tin evenly on the sponge.
  • Apply 1/3 cup of cream.
  • Arrange the sliced peaches.
  • Sprinle the nuts on top of the peaches.
  • Continue with the other layers.
  • Decorate the top with remaining whipped cream , peaches and some whole hazlenuts.

When I gave the cake to my aunt she said 'You always do things like these' and kissed me :) She made my day!! :) And the cake was so well recieved :) I got a huge thumbs-up from my mom who usually dislikes any form of cakes! :)

I have some good news to share with you all!! :) Nithya from 4th Sense Samayal has awarded me with a Kreative Blogger Award! Thanks a ton Nithya! :)



The Kreativ Blogger award comes with some rules:-

1. You must thank the person who has given you the award.
2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
3. Link to the person who has nominated you for the award.
4. Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.
5. Nominate 7 other Kreativ Bloggers.
6. Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
7. Leave a comment on which of the blogs to let them know they have been nominated


Okay now onto the 7 things about me :)

1. I am someone who needs things to be done FAST and not dragged about.
2.I can stay awake for days together just to talk :) I talk a LOT!
3.Hate hypocrisy & bribing ! :P
4.Love arts & crafts! Did you all know that I can embroider,knit,do crochet,tatting,stitch garments,bags etc? LOL! yes! I really can :)
5.It is one of my dreams to host a cookery show like Nigella Lawson ;D
6.Another dream is to publish a cookbook...You see I have many dreams ;)
7.I can do things only if I really want to because I don't believe in doing things just for the heck of it! :P

Now for the nominations!



Hope you all have a beautiful day!! :)



23 Comments:

Greg said...

I don't have the sweetest tooth in the world by a long way, but I really love peaches and this looks so, so nice:):)

Peaches make great salsa by the way. Wonderful with bbq :):)

Divya Kudua said...

You posted this finally Ria..:),you've been Kothipikku-fying me all these days with the pic on twitpic:).I loved the cake and can imagine how your aunt must have felt.You are a sweetheart:).

The recipe I was talking about-Litchee-Ginger Gateau is very similar to this.Replace the litchee with any canned fruit and you have variety.

Loved reading through your 7 facts.You are a supergurrrl..embroidery and knitting..kollallo??:)

Thanks so much for passing on the award to me..Love ya:)

Parita said...

The cake looks gorgeous Ria! combination of peach and hazelnuts sounds hmmmmmm...congratulations for the award wish you all the best for your dreams :)

Nithya said...

Tats a lovely cake.. absolutely tempting. :)

And all the best for all your wishes to come true.. :) Nice to know more abt you.

Unknown said...

looks quite inviting, Ria. must be really suitable for desserts..yumm!!

Priya said...

Oh my god Ria this cake looks amazing ...I am not a great fan of iced cakes , but yours looks tempting enough to eat.

Anonymous said...

The cake looks amazing! The combo of peaches and cream with hazelnut sponge cake sounds excellent!

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

WOnderful creation Ria,
I wish I lived closeby to where u are. Then I could just drop in for all this goodness:)
U never seem to tire of doing a good job n that too so sincerely. U amaze me girl.
Pinne, abt the award , U deserve it and "daangs" for passing it on to me :)
God bless ur great aunt for many more yrs to come and God bless u for ur kind heart.

Abhilash Pillai said...

:( aa... I lack such Aunts.

I would have to send some of my Aunts to America or UAE soon... Atleast they should be of some use...

Eating is my passion so anything for it... and that makes me check the recipe blogs of bloggers like you...

:D Nice to hear you get an another award added to your blog.

You are genious... :)

Ivy said...

Congrats on the award. I love this type of dessert and yours looks very tempting.

kellypea said...

Peaches & Cream will always receive my complete, undivided attention. This gateau is beautiful and sounds delicious ; )

Sanghi said...

Lovley cake.. Am extending my entries to FIL event to 31st.. Do send in your entries..!

Suparna said...

hi Ria,
That's a wonderful cake for ur grand aunt!! She must've been super happy :)
Congratulations on ur award! loved reading about ur multi-talents :) God bless u with loads of success to fulfill ur dreams.
TC

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi Ria! Amazing work with the Gateau.Love your presentation and gal you are really talented with all those skills.

Ria Mathew said...

Thanks a bunch everyone! :)

Divya-I am now waiting for your cake recipes :)

Smitha -Awww... that was sweet of you to say that :) Muah! xx

Abhilash- Thank you young man! :)

Suparna -It's only when I write these things do I realise my potential ;)

Marija said...

Ria, thank you! I am so honored!

Shabs.. said...

adipoli!!.....mouthwatering n stunning.....even though m not a great fan of peaches...congrats on award... just go the same.

Chef Jeena said...

Wonderful cake Ria it looks so beautiful and pretty, I bet it tasted fantastic too!

Michelle said...

What a gorgeous cake! Love the hazelnuts decorating the top!!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Your grand aunt must have definitely been one lucky lady. She must have had a memorable b'day with that lovely cake.

Unknown said...

I love love LOVE your cake! And it's been the inspiration for a cake I'm going to make! Thanks!! Your aunt sure is lucky :)

Unknown said...

Oh, and thanks for the award! I will pass it on soon!

Ann said...

Wow - you really do deserve the "Kreativ" award - the cake looks amazing, you have one lucky great-aunt!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...