Ria's Collection: ♥Chicken Cutlets♥ Crispy all the way ♥

Sunday, August 30, 2009

♥Chicken Cutlets♥ Crispy all the way ♥





Chicken cutlets are my idea of comfort food. The crispy outside and soft and juicy inside can make any dull day of mine better! And I am really glad that I learnt to replicate Amma's cutlets :)

These are fixed for any Kerala Christian family menu. It is served at lunch ,as a snack in the evenings for tea, as an accompaniment for dinner . They are a must at all the Kerala Christian wedding lunch menu.


There are different versions of it. Some add crushed dry red chillies too. Whichever form it is made I just LOVE cutlets, chicken especially.

Chicken Cutlets
Recipe by my mom

Ingredients
Chicken, minced- 500g
Onions- 3, finely chopped
Ginger garlic paste-2 1/2 tbsp
Garam masala-1 1/2 tbsp
Green chilli - 4-5, finely chopped [depending on your spice level]
Potatoes-3, big, boiled and mashed
Oil-4-5 tbsp
Salt and pepper to taste
Egg-1, slightly beaten
Breadcrumbs-for rolling[ We usually make fresh bread crumbs at home, they are much better]
Oil for deep frying

Method:
  • Heat oil, saute the ginger garlic paste till you get a nice aroma.
  • Add the onions,green chillies and saute till the onions are soft and transparent.
  • Add garam masala and mix well.
  • Add the minced chicken& potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  • Cook for 5-6 mins or till done.
  • Take it off fire and let the mixture cool
  • When cooled, divide them into balls, flatten it in your palms. You can shape them into squares, small balls, ovals, rolls etc.
  • Dip them in beaten eggs and roll in the breadcrumbs.
  • Deep fry in hot oil. Drain and serve hot!

These can be made ahead and froze for a month. Thaw and deep fry them.
You can make vegetable cutlets using the same recipe substituting carrots & beans for the chicken, but omit ginger.


That's the pineapple from our garden, it was grown in a flower pot [Amma's brilliant idea :D]


We had a short & sweet trip to Kuttanad,[my motherland 2 days ago] on our way to pick up our new car. Below are the few glimpses of the most beautiful place I have ever been to.


Coming soon!!



14 Comments:

Jamie said...

Wow, Ria! These are not plain old ordinary chicken cutlets like I know them! These are magnificent and full of fabulous flavors! I really think I am going to try making these!

Divya Kudua said...

Wow Ria..the cutlets look so pretty..:).Reminded me of a friends mom,she used to make Chicken and Beef cutlets and freeze them.As you said,it used to be a regular feature during special lunches and occasions.Ajay flips on her beef cutlet:).The recipe looks quite easy,got to try!!

Nice snaps of your 'motherland' visit:)

Unknown said...

cutlets look so crispy!! I love cutlets any time and my fav is beef cutlet :). Your cutlets look perfect!!Btw, I also make it the same way :)

Anonymous said...

Made me nostalgic...simple and tasty..would love to try.

Advika said...

Hi Ria,
Been visiting your blog since the last 2 weeks and have tried a couple of recipes from here and they have come out really very well.
Can you throw some light as to how you make bread crumbs at home?

Best wishes for the wedding...

Cheers,
Dhanya

Ria Mathew said...

Thank you all for your kind words! :)

Dhanya- Thank you for trying out and letting me know :) Which are the recipes that you have tried?

To make bread crumbs at home, use a 1 day old bread.Slice/break them into tiny chunks and give it a good whizz in a mixie for about 30-40 secs. That should give you some real good breadcrumbs :) These are much better than store bought ones.

Unknown said...

Ria!! These cutlets look soo good! You're always cooking up such wonderful things! I want to try each one of them, it seems you're going to make me start cooking too!!! I hate you for it!! :P

Parita said...

Nice clicks there..cutlets look crispy..i so would love to make the veggies version :)

Doloncookbook said...

Wow Ria , cutlets are just perfect .. Please send me one piece at least ... Can't resist ... Kuttanad, pictures are so beautiful ....

Mishmash ! said...

can u send me a batch of ur frozen cutlets...? i will do the frying part :P

Btw, cant see any of those pics from ur 'motherland'....vayassayi varuvaa...kannu pidikkunnilla :D or is it coz i'm unable to enlarge them??

Vanille said...

Your cutlets reminds me an Indian snack that we call catlets in my home island. I guess they are the same but the original name has been twisted...
Make me drool cause it's a long time I didn't get the chance to eat some and yours look good !

Advika said...

Hi Ria
Thanks a ton for replying... I tried your Kuttanadan Chicken Roast and the Praline Vanilla Sponge Gateau. The chicken came out superlative, but I messed the cake up. I guess it was mostly because of the baking dish that I used :D.
I have bookmarked a couple of recipes more from here to try :):)
Loved the write up about your "motherland"

Cheers,
Dhanya

Indian Khana said...

Hey Ria you got a lovely blog am so glad I found it....cutlets looks awesome fried to perfection...pineapple in pot is cool idea...:)

Unknown said...

hey ria,

tried this recipie finally ystd. i guess it came out well. amma said it could have been a bit more chillier as i had only used 3 green chillis but otherwise it came out very tasty and i made around 40 cutlets. gave some to my friends and they liked it too. thanks a lot. i also tried the kuttanad chicken recipie and that too came out very well. thanks a lot :)
vnt started my baking adventures yet as i still havent figured out what to do for the oven/microwave/etc,.

love your blogsite...and the beautiful foodie photographs you take...my husband is also a passionate photographer and i showed him your blog snaps and he appreciated them too. keep it up.

cheers,
.sAVI

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...