This post is all about a quick simple lunch we have at home... my idea of comfort food! :) Almost 90% of Kerala homes has this kind of lunch. A fish fry,thoran/mezhukkuvaratti,rice,papad/pappadaum,curd/moru/sambar & a fruit which is usually our good old 'Poovan' pazham (a variety of plantain available in Kerala). We live on a coastal area...beach is just a 2 minute walk from my house...so fresh sea food is never a problem! Guess that applies to the whole of Kerala :)
So today the show is all about Fish fry,Cabbage thoran,Rice & Papad/Pappadam :)Kerala Fish Fry:
Fish (anykind like sardines, mackerel etc) - 4-5 cleaned & slitted
Chilli powder- 1-1 1/2 tbsp ( depending on your spice tolerance level & also the type of chilli powder used. We mix Kashmiri chilli powder + normal red chilli powder so that it has a beautiful colour and is not too spicy)
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Water- enough to make a thick paste with with the above masala
Salt to taste
Curry leaves- 1 sprig
Oil- 4-5 tbsp for frying ( We use coconut oil and we absolutely LOVE it! That brings out the 'Kerala/nadan' taste ! :D )
- Make a paste using the powders,salt and water. It should be slightly thick.
- Apply it onto the cleaned fish.Rub it slightly.
- Leave it aside for 10-15 mins.
- Heat oil in a shallow pan, add the curry leaves
I can live on Fish Fry, Rice and Curd :)
It's a simple n easy veggie preparation where in you can sub cabbage for any other veggie :) How about making it simple and nutritious?? Try cabbage & carrot thoran...it's very colourful too! :)
Cabbage - 250 g finely sliced
Onions-1 medium ,finely chopped
Coconut- 1/2 cup grated
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Oil-2-3 tbsp ( we use coconut oil)
Water- 4-5 tbsp
The 'thoran' I love the most is Cabbage thoran! I can eat just that...no need of rice :)
- Mix all the ingredients except mustard seeds,oil and water well in a bowl.
- Heat oil, add the mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Add the vegetables. Mix well. Let it cook uncovered for 2-3 mins.
- Sprinkle the water over it. Stir well.
- Cover with a lic and cook on low flame till done stiring in between.
- Check for salt ..
- Serve hot!
This is the speciality of Kerala! No where else will you find people using this fat rice :) But trust me... if you want to get the exact Kerala taste this is a must! And I just cannot have 'kanji' (gruel) with anyother rice! Ah! LOVE YA boiled rice! :*
- We usually boil rice in plenty of water and drain out the excess so that the starch is removed completely.
Here comes a highly addictive accompaniment to rice! For me I can munch on it anytime!! :P For those who don't know about this crunchy beauty...it's something like a deep fried wafer :D
Pappadums (store bought/homemade)
- Heat the oil and deep fry them.
- Drain them on paper towels and store them in airtight containers.
Plantains have many varieties like 'Poovan' 'Palayamkodan' etc... I love 'poovan'variety the most!! This is widely eaten after lunch as a dessert...especially by elders!
And have you ever tried having Pazham(plantains) pappadam & neyy( ghee/clarified butter) with a spoonful of sugar?? If not...you are missing a lot in life!!!
- Just take a few plantains, mash it well.
- Add a spoonful or two of sugar.
- Drizzle some hot ghee on it.
- Crush some crisp pappadum on it and eat it! It's yummmm! :)
I can see many weird expressions now!! LOL!
Have a great weekend!! :)
So how was the lunch? I know there weren't any curries... but how about this , this & this ?? :)
Have a great weekend!! :)