Ria's Collection: ♥My Grand Aunt's Chocolate Cake♥

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

♥My Grand Aunt's Chocolate Cake♥


I love collecting tried,tested and trusted recipes. That's why I named my diary 'My Collections' and also my blog :) This is my granny's sister's recipe. I got it from my cuz Roshini and it happens to be her fave chocolate cake recipe.
Recently when my dad went to Trivandrum (that's where Roshini lives) she packed me a box full of these brown beauties. But he had a halt at my mom's house and we were supposed to join him the next day. And you all can easily guess what must have happened :P The box was half full when we reached there...

Nevertheless I made up my mind to try them out once I get home. And that's when I had my lil cousins Niki and Tashu visiting us. So I got another reason to bake something!! :D


Ultra Moist Chocolate Cake
Recipe sourced by Roshini from Ammini Aunty

Ingredients
Butter-200g
Sugar-1 3/4 cup + 3/4 cup ,powdered
Eggs-3,separated
Flour-2 cups
Baking Powder-1 3/4 tsp
Cocoa powder-8 tbsp diluted in 1 cup milk
Vanilla -1 tsp

Method:
  • Beat butter until light and fluffy. Add 1 3/4 cup of sugar and beat it.
  • Add egg yolks and vanilla.
  • Beat egg whites + 3/4 cup sugar to stiff peaks.
  • Fold into the batter. Add cocoa dissolved in milk to it.
  • Fold in the flour and pour the batter into a prepared tin.
  • Bake at 180 deg. for 45-50 mins or till done.

This is THE best home made chocolate cake that I have ever tasted. Now it's not just Roshini's...but also our family favourite chocolate cake! My bro had 3 huge slices at one go! :)



20 Comments:

Lori said...

This sounds so great! I love how simple the recipe is. It looks beautiful as well. :)

Pari Vasisht said...

The cake looks simple to make and would surely try for the mentioned "moistness". Cool work dear.

Divya Kudua said...

Ah..so my dessert queen is back with a bindaas recipe;).I've been ogling at the snaps you've put up in Orkut:).Will definitely give this a try.

Btw,there's some problem with the post,I am not able to comment or rather the comment box does not get loaded if I check the post url,if I check it from the homepage its fine.I remember Meeta telling that the Print friendly code is the culprit.Please do a re-check:)

Divya Kudua said...

One more thing..it almost looks like a Fruit cake..you know the darkish golden brown colour,rather than the dark brown chocolate colour.It doesn't matter anyway,but still..:):)

Twinsy Rachel said...

Hi Ria

Nice to have u back. trust u had wonderful trip..

The gud news is that I have tried marble cake n came out well.. Nice to have ur recipes at hand to try... Now, I have bookmarked this ultra-moist chocolate cake to try...

It looks like everybody in ur family is a good cook..Wow!! wat a blessing :D

Ria Mathew said...

Thank you all so much for your lovely words!! :)

Lori, Pari- Thank you lovely ladies! Let me know how you like it :)

Divya- Yes, your dessert queen(1000 Watt smile!!! :D ) is back BUT will be off for another 5 days :) Thanks for letting me know abt the issue. When I checked now, it's working fine. Will check again :)

About the colour, yes, it does look like a fruit cake :D

Twinsy- You are a doll! Thanks a bunch for trying and I am happy that you liked it :)
Yes, my fam is full of real good cooks :) Super blessed!! ;)

Let me know how you like this one :) A big hug to Beulah!

Ann said...

(The former "Zaara" =) its lovely that you are sharing your family recipes here. BTW - I had to ask, your pics lately have a nice white crispness to them, are you using extra lighting, or a white box? I like how you srae straitng to photoraph relics too as well with the food.

Priya dharshini said...

U make best homemade cakes..U got best family to share the recipes..

Roshini said...

Ria..this time i just had to leave a comment...after all this is the recipe that started it all..the very first thing i baked..and everytime i bake it..i remember our grand aunt.
Goes on to show that memories can live thro recipes too...grt work..and glad to b of help.

BrightStar said...

This is a great cake, you really are a wondeful cook!

Chef Jeena said...

I love the ribbon it is sohe las pretty. Your grandmas cake is so tasty it looks so soft and fluffy yum!

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Hey thats awesome cake ria.. Looks really moist and delicious.. WIsh to have a slice dearie.. the onam pictures looks great too.

the Provident Woman said...

That looks and sounds so yummy!

s said...

oooh..looks moist as well..we are HUGE chocoholics at home and im sure this one will be a winner..

Questnet said...

Looks so good..Will give it a try.

reema said...

Hi Ria,
made this cake, the batter tasted yum, but I think I didnt bake it enough. It looked baked at 35 minutes and a fork came out clean when i poked it into the cake's side. But as soon as I took it off teh oven, the risen batter just fell in the middle- it turned out that the middle was yet to cook well. Also, I wanted to know, why do some cakes get dry on the top? And, for this cake, the batter is not very loose- or is it? Ria, the sides came out very well-- and did taste super moist and yummy.. thanks a lot again!

Perspectivemedley said...

Wow, nice cake!!... looks so tempting!, you have a yummy collection of recipes! :)

Preethi Pinto said...

Hi Ria. I tried this one as well for hubbys bday and it was absolutely amazing. I had a few walnuts that I added to this and I just cannot tell you how much the family enjoyed, so much so that it got itself a place in my MIL's recipe book, which is otherwise a tuff thing :). Thanks a million!!

Preethi Pinto said...

Also, I iced it with a rum infused dark chocolate ganache and dusted it with toasted and powdered almonds. It was heavenly!

Zo-Ya said...

Thank you once again for an awesome recipe! We liked it a lot..havent seen K gorge on cakes like he did on this one!
There are only a few bits left and am sure we are gonna fight over it now;-)
Cheers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...