I have read in many places that a girl should have a good chocolate cake recipe with her, just like a LBD. I would say, in my case, this chocolate cake would be my Lil' Black Dress! :-) The simplicity of this recipe and the amazing result it gives you, you can never go wrong. There was a frosting recipe for the cake and I didn't do it because I am trying to divide my butter intake in 2 cakes rather than in 1 :-)
I couldn't wait for the cupcakes to cool down, got Jobin also along with me. So, as soon as the tray popped out of the oven, we both gobbled up one each. B.L.I.S.S.
Some of our friends ( I would say LUCKY!) dropped by that evening, so we shared some with them as well.I think my life has a new motto now...bake & share! :-)
CHOCOLATE FUDGE CUPCAKES
Recipe source : Alice Medrich
Unsweetened cocoa powder-1/4 c + 2 tbsp
Baking soda-1/2 tsp
Salt-1/4 tsp (omit salt if you are using salted butter)
Unsalted butter- 1 stick/ 113 g
Brown sugar-1 1/4 c, packed
Vanilla extract-1 tsp
Hot water- 1/2 c
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C /350F. Prepare your baking tin.
- In a heat proof bowl, melt butter and allow it to cool slightly.
- Add the sugar to it and mix it up using a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon.
- Add in both the eggs & vanilla together and mix till combined.
- Dump in all the dry ingredients (no sifting needed unless cocoa is lumpy) and mix till flour is just incorporated.
- Add in the hot water and mix till everything blends in well.
- Pour into the baking tin and bake for 35-45 mins.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 10 mins and then demould it and let it cool completely.
- I baked them in my silicone cupcake moulds and this batter yielded 12 cupcakes.
Verdict: How can a chocolate cake get more simpler? It's a one bowl, mixer-free,easy clean up cake recipe! An absolute winner! Try it for yourself and see!
This is going to be my most fave chocolate cake until I find the next one! Usually my search for the perfect chocolate cake never ends, but after trying this one, I think I can rest my search! Phew!