Ria's Collection: BISCUIT JOCONDE IMPRIME/ENTREMET - MOCHA BAVARIAN CREAM GATEAU

Thursday, January 27, 2011

BISCUIT JOCONDE IMPRIME/ENTREMET - MOCHA BAVARIAN CREAM GATEAU

DB cake

This time I knew I had to do the DB challenge not because it was a cake, but it was something which I had been planning to do this month,otherwise. Then when the DB challenge was announced, I was so thrilled that I almost bounced off the walls. I love trying different techniques, different filling ...basically anything different,everytime! I had written down the recipe for a ribbon strip from the Le Cordon book of Baking and used to show it to Jobin saying this was something I always wanted to try.A Joconde Imprime is a decorative design baked into a light nut-sponge cake providing an elegant finish to desserts/tortes/entremets formed in ring molds.
DB cake 1

The first time I ever saw that strip was on a Sweet Chariot's Chocolate Mousse Cake which was almost 8 years ago and my hunt for that 'strip' recipe started right then and it ended in December '10! I had asked many people on how to bake it and I got various answers which included 'spray painting' a sponge sheet cake! I thought, maybe that was it and I have no measures to spray paint a cake at home, so forget it! But I didn't forget it. I hunted our local library for books which could give me some hint to it and I finally found one...and I made up my mind that I am not letting that book go!
IMG_0415

The January 2011 Daring Bakers Challenge was hsoted by Asteroshe of the blog Accro. She chose to challenge everyone to make a Biscuit Joconde Imprime to wrap around an Entremet dessert.

DB cake 2











BISCUIT JOCONDE IMPRIME /ENTREMET - MOCHA BAVARIAN CREAM GATEAU
Recipe for the Cigarette Batter & Joconde -Pastry & Sports
Recipe for the Chocolate Genoise - from here
Recipe for the Mocha Bavarian Cream -Le Cordon Book of Professional Baking by Wayne Gisslen, pg: 534

Ingredients:
For the Cigarette batter:
30g softened unsalted butter
30g powdered sugar
1 egg white
20g flour
6g cocoa powder

For the Joconde:
75g ground almonds
75g powdered sugar
20g flour
2 whole eggs
30g melted butter
2 egg whites
12g sugar

For the Chocolate Genoise:
Look here.

For the Mocha Bavarian Cream: (I made 1/2 portion)
22g powdered gelatin
150ml cold water

3-4 large egg yolks
125g granulated sugar
500ml milk
8ml vanilla extract
1 1/2 tbsp instant coffee powder

500 ml heavy cream/Amul cream


For Chocolate Ganache:
125g semisweet chocolate/dark chocolate
125 g heavy cream/ Amul cream
IMG_0413

Method:
For the Cigarette batter:
Beat the sugar and softened butter together till fluffy.
Beat in the egg white and add flour and cocoa to it.Mix well.
Spread this batter on a parchement paper and make designs on it using your fingers/forks/pastry combs etc.
Freeze this for 15 mins. DO NOT skip this.

For Joconde:
Beat the egg whites stiff by adding the sugar (granulated) towards the end. Reserve.
Beat almonds,sugar,flour,whole eggs together till fluffy and add the melted butter.
Fold in the egg whites carefully and pour this batter over the frozen cigarette batter.
Spread it to an even 1/4" thickness.
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 475F/250C for 7 minutes. The cake should spring back when touched lightly.
Let it cool for 5 mins and then carefully transfer it onto a chopping board and trim as needed to fit your moulds.

For Chocolate Genoise:
Look here 

For Mocha Bavarian Cream:
Soak the gelatin in cold water and let it bloom for 5-6 minutes.
Whip the yolks and sugar until light and thick.
Scald milk and slowly add it into the egg mixture,beating constantly.
Cook this mixture over a water bath until it thickens slightly.
Add vanilla extract and coffee powder and mix well to dissolve.
Melt the gelatin and add into the egg mixture.
Let it cool over ice or in the fridge till half set, making sure to stir in every now and then to keep the mixture smooth.
Whip cream to soft peaks,DO NOT over whip.
When the egg custard has thickened, and not yet set, fold in the cream.
Pour in between the cake layers (as mentioned in the 'assembly' below).

For Chocolate Ganache:
Chop the chocolate into small bits and reserve in a stainless steel /glass bowl.
Bring the cream to a boil and pour over the chocolate.
Let it sit for 5 mins. Stir till it is smooth. It will be loose now, you can leave it in the fridge for 10 mins to get it slightly thickened.
Pour over the cake and smoothen it with an offset spatula.

Assembly:
1.Make a soaking syrup: Make a soaking syrup by dissolving 1cup granulated sugar in 1cup warm water. Add 1 tbsp of rum to it, if you wish to. I added it because I like the combination of rum and coffee.

2.Split the Chocolate genoise into 3, horizontally.

3.Cut the joconde into the size of the springform pan (diameter) to fit snuggly. There should be no gaps.

4.Place a layer of genoise at the bottom and soak it generously with 1/4 c of soaking syrup. Top it with half of the bavarian cream. Repeat. The last layer should be the genoise.

5.Top it with chocolate ganache and level it using a spatula, preferably offset.

6.Wrap the whole assembly with a cling film and let it set in the refigerator for 2 hours.

7.Decorate the top of the cake as you need and serve chilled.

This cake lasts really long, we had it for over a week! :)
DB cake 3

Verdict:
I made this cake in one go and it took me 4 hours. I wanted to finish it by the time Jobin got back home from work, so that I could surprise him and indeed he was surprised! ' Mmmm...no one would believe that it's made at home!' was his comment as soon as he took a bite of it.That was enough to keep me going for another week! :-D

It was a very very delicious cake! We couldn't help but dig into each other's plate for an extra bite. The filling was a breeze to make and it was very tasty! The Joconde Imprime gave the cake a very professional finish.

This is one of the best gateau's I have made till date! It is definately a lenghty recipe,but it's really easy to make.If you plan ahead,unlike me, you can make the cake on the previous day, wrap it well and leave it one the counter. Next day start with the joconde, cream and the ganache. If you happen to make this cake, trust me, you will be hooked to it! :)


50 Comments:

Finla said...

They look absloutely perfect, yummy and beautiful.

divya said...

looks delicious and awesome!

Umm Mymoonah said...

Wow! What an amazing joconde , looks perfect..

Vaishali Sharma said...

OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! That really doesn't look homemade! It looks beautiful and professional! I bet it tastes heavenly! I wish I could just take the plate that had the slice off this screen and eat it ..yummy!

Lena Jayadev said...

wowww.. im drooling here...

Sneha Benny said...

Hi Ria !! This looks amazing !!! For the past few days I am a frequent visitor to your blog. Now i got hooked on to it. I love your photos. It will make one go inside the screen and indulge in it.I have started a blog 3 months ago. Here is the link
http://inspirationalartofcooking.blogspot.com/

Please give me your feedback about it.

archana said...

You are such a precious gem !!!! Absolutely love it,especially the decoration. It looks just perfect !

Soma said...

This is spectacular! I cannot help for stare at this, wordless :-) a perfect dessert with some gorgeous photographs. Really well done.

Priya Suresh said...

Real treat to eyes, fabulous and beautifully done..

KrithisKitchen said...

This is awesome... Great work...
appreciate your job

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Well done on the challenge Ria.. absolutely perfect...

lo81 said...

Your cake is so elegant! I love it! Great job!

Anonymous said...

That looks like chocolate heaven! Great photography

Seema said...

Wowowowo... Abosultely marvellous! I checked the list of ingredients first and was surprised to see all familiar, easily available names there. Will hopefully bake this someday.

Divya Kudua said...

I take a bow Ria..this is truly spectacular!!!

sanjeeta kk said...

Looks gorgeous! Lovely presentation and frosting.

Lite Bite

Gayathri Kumar said...

Amazing...

Ramya Kiran said...

looks scrumptious! very neatly done. Congrats!

chef and her kitchen said...

Those pics r a treat to eyes..loved them completely...

Renata said...

What a wonderful treat, Ria! As everything you do, it is fantastic looking and I'm sure wonderful tasting as well. Great photography!

Audax said...

I hope you win the competition you deserve it your blog is wonderful.

You did an outstanding job on this challenge and it sounds like (from your husband) that it was super tasty well done Ria and your photos are so professional as usual.

Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

astheroshe said...

Great JOB! RIA! It looks great! LOve your flavors :)

Unknown said...

looking gooood....

Rosemary J said...

I am looking @ ur page in awe!!! Kudos to u gal..a job well done.

Namitha said...

Fantastic ! All the efforts worth it. Wish you were my neighbor and I could sneak into your home uninvited..lol..

Ambika said...

That does look fabulous Ria!! I can't believe you made the cigs at home too!! Wonderful!

Sarah Naveen said...

Wow!!! thats a wonderful job sweetie..Looks so so so perfect...

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

It is absolutely stunning! I love that mocha bavarian cream filling. Droolworthy. Lovely clicks.

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous job on this challenge. Beautiful pics and delicious flavors! Wish I could say the same about mine! LOL

Anonymous said...

Its amazing that you can make this at home, your hubby is right. Looks out of this world!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

It does look absolutely gorgeous. Yes, the technique is a keeper.

Aldy said...

Hi Ria, Beautiful job! Absolutely mouth-watering!

Cheers,

Aldy.

Rookie Qookie said...

adipoli aayitundu..samadikkenam..love ur hard work :)

Cheers,
Reshmi
www.rookieqookie.com

Shaheen said...

Absolutely stunning.

Twinsy Rachel said...

Spectacular, awesome, adipoli, superb :)))))

Unknown said...

Ria, you seem to be naturally talented in the area of desserts- You should totally send some of your delicious recipes to my event http://priyasnowserving.blogspot.com/2011/01/guest-event-coming-to-now-serving.html

Look forward, dear!

Kiwi the Fruit said...

your cake looks amazing!

Unknown said...

That looks gorgeous Ria. And going by your words, sounds amazing too. Bookmarked!

Sapthanaa Vytheswaran said...

wow... looks amazing!!

Naseela said...

Perfect. Period.
I'm planning to prepare this as a surprise gift for my sister who is writing her boards right now, and happens to be a super big fan of you. Just had a little doubt. When preparing this, do I have to half the recipe for mocha bavarian cream?

Ria Mathew said...

Naseela- Yes, just halve it and use it as filling :)
Saw your e-mail, will reply asap!!

Happy Surprising! :)

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

looks so pretty and delecious! like it belongs in a bakery :)

Nitha said...

Hey girl.. You are inspiring me a lot.. Rather I ve started stealing ideas from your blog.. I saw you anniversary cake and decorated a similar one for my friends' anniversary.. and that was a super hit.. Now would like to try this out sometime.. could you please help me out in these questions? Did you bake the genoise in the same pan? If yes, how did you manage to push the same size cake into the pan with the joconde? What size pan did you use?

Ria Mathew said...

Hello Nitha, happy to hear the ideas are working for you! I baked the cake and assembled the same in an 8 inch round baking tin. If you notice, all cakes once baked and cooled, shrinks a bit so fitting them into the same pan with the joconde is not going to be an issue.

Hope this helps!

Nitha said...

Thanks for the quick response.. I shall try this out when I get some time and let you know how it come out..
BTW had I told you, the first idea I stole was the triangle cake and that was a hit too.. now let me believe in the saying " 2 othal 3 okkum" :) and hope for the best

Nitha said...

Ria.. I have one more question.. the genoise recipe calls for a 10 inch pan and you made this one in an 8 inch rgt? Did you cut short the ingredients? or baked a cake which is higher?

Ria Mathew said...

Nitha, yes, I made it in an 8 inch round. The link leads to you another page right, that time I did have a 10 inch pan with me. So this will give you a higher cake, not that you will notice the difference :)

Nitha said...

Ria - I ve finally posted this on my blog..

gigi said...

Ria...this cake is so stunning!!!

just awesome!!!...and the name is so exotic(atleast to me)....kudos to the innovative name as well!!

Sandhani said...

Wow ria!this look awesome..Thanks for posting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...