' Happy New Year Everyone! May your soufflés rise, macarons have feet, and cakes have a beautiful crumb! '
Days, weeks and months flew by and here we are ... with a new year and a new decade! 10 years ago I was in school and now, I have exactly 45 days more to get married!! Phew! Those 10 years saw a lot of change in me! 2009 personally for me, was a very happy year. And 2010 is going to be a very very different year for me (& Jobin) since we are getting married on 15 February.So basically it would have been my last year being single(definately not ready to mingle again! :P)
2009 gave me lots,I must say. A very blogging supportive family :), a new circle of real real good blogging friends, lots of travelling( ♥ ), lots of gastronomic adventures( how can I forget that??) and a lane of good memories! Hope 2010 holds even more better stuff for me and for all you guys out there!
Blogging wise, it was a roller coaster ride for me. Some months saw me blogging immensely, some rarely.Food photography gave me a share of emotional highs and lows :) I am still struggling to get enough light for my pics..sooner or later I will , hopefully! :) Sometimes I did feel that it is quite a struggle to feed my hungry blog especially since I started my trousseau shopping.But I definately didn't let it starve! I can't be that bad! ;) Anyway, I am starting this new year with my 100th post! Woo Hoo!! :) Time did fly by! That means, I tried out 100 recipes, clicked a minimum of 300 pics?!? WOWIE! :)
It was only in November(15th) that I added a widget to track the no. of people who visit my blog. I was so amazed to find out that I have an average of 800 visits everyday and 1400 being the highest! So that shows I have many many silent readers! THANK YOU! :) Y'all make my life (&blog) feel so special!
So here I am, raising a toast to the NY and a new decade with a VIENNESE CHOCOLATE GENOISE SPONGE with STRAWBERRY MASCARPONE.I made this cake for my Dad's 50th birthday 3 days ago. It was indeed a very berry cake!
Menu for his Birthday:
- *STARTERS*:-Honey Roasted Almonds, Devilled Eggs,Gold coins with Cottage Cheese ,Mint Kakras, Baked Bean Canapes
- *MAIN COURSE*:- Tomato Rice,Chapathi,Kadai Vegetable, Lamb Rogan Josh,Mixed Vegetable Curry
- *DESSERT*:- Silky Chocolate Custard Pudding, Fresh fruits with Cream & Honey,Viennese Chocolate Sponge with Strawberry Mascarpone & Chocolate covered Biscuits .
VIENNESE CHOCOLATE SPONGE WITH STRAWBERRY MASCARPONE
For the sponge:
125 g flour
125g powdered sugar
100 g butter
5 large eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling:
300 g homemade mascarpone
75 ml fresh cream
4 tbsp vanilla sugar, ground or to taste
150 g strawberry, chopped
Gelatin-1 tsp bloomed in 1/8th cup of water, melted (I got this idea from Deeba ,Oops! Sorry Deeba, forgot to mention this here before!)
For the frosting:
150 g homemade mascarpone
25 ml fresh cream
2-3 tbsp vanilla sugar, ground or to taste
50 g strawberry , chopped
For the sponge:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Grease and dust a 10" baking tin and line the base with a greaseproof paper.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl over a pan of hot water and leave for any sediments to settle. Pour off the clear ghee from the top of the bowl ( you can use homemade/storebought ghee instead).It should not be hot when it is added to the mixture.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder twice.
- Separate the yolks and whites and keep in 2 bowls.
- Add sugar to the yolks and beat over a pan of hot water until thick and creamy.Add vanilla.
- Sieve the flour on to the egg mixture.Do not stir in.Pour the melted butter slowly over the flour, around the sides.
- Pour the melted chocolate.
- Whisk the egg whites stiff(not dry) . Add a little whisked egg whites to the flour and mix gently.Fold in the remaining whites carefully.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45-50 mins. The cake is cooked when it shrinks from the sides of the tin and springs back into shape when pressed.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave it for 2 mts in the tin on a wet cloth and then turn it out on a clean dry towel.Peel of the paper and invert the cake on a wire rack
- When cooled, slice horizontally into 3.
- Beat the mascarpone with a wooden spoon still smooth. Add the remaining ingredients(except gelatin) and mix well. Check for sweetness.Pour the melted gelatin and give a good mix.
- Beat the mascarpone with a wooden spoon still smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Check for sweetness
Place one layer of cake on the cake stand or plate .
Pour 1/2 of the filling and cover the surface of the cake completely. Leave to set in the fridge for 30 mins. Repeat the same for the next 2 layers.
Refrigerate the cake overnight for the flavours to blend well.
The cake was downright delicious! The chocolate wrap around the cake was a stunner.Never knew I could get it right at the first time! :) Many of our guests thought that the cake was bought from a patisserie :D It sliced beautifully and the mascarpone filling made it ever so luscious! Everybody(including me, definately ;D ) enjoyed the cake to the last crumb! :) This is a perfect party cake!
I have another reason to kick start the NY. My friend Jitha's dentist actually sent her an sms asking her to check 'ria's collection' since he heard it was real good!