Ria's Collection: VANILLA PANNACOTTA with POMEGRANATE SAUCE

Friday, January 21, 2011

VANILLA PANNACOTTA with POMEGRANATE SAUCE

Vanilla Pannacotta
It's official, I love pink! Whenever I go shopping, be it anything, I end up picking something pink. Usually pink is associated with 'being girly' but I don't think I am that girly to begin with. Sometimes I like the vintage look, sometimes contemporary and sometimes even bohemian! It all depends on how I feel right then. When I made this dessert, I wanted to dress it up with something colourful and bright! I searched in my refrigerator for fruits and I found apples, oranges, banana's and a pomegranate.

Apple sauce? No way! Orange sauce? Yes! So I grabbed the bag of oranges dreaming of my Orange-Blackberry sauce I made last summer to go with my My Fair Lady Pudding.Sadly most of them were beginning to rot! Then all I was left with were banana's and a pomegranate. I  have never heard of a banana sauce nor pomegranate sauce before but I chose the latter because of it colour and because it's one of my favourite fruit! So pomegranate sauce, it is!

Vanilla Pannacotta
We usually have a dessert almost after every meal, except brekky. It need not be anything elaborate, even a piece of Chocolate & Cashewnut Fudge or a Simple Cherry Crumble  would do...but we need something sweet. So that gives me the excuse of stocking up almost once in 3 days and I don't complain about it! :)

Pannacotta in Italian means 'cooked cream'.This dessert is generally from the Nothern Italian region of Piemonte,although it is eaten all over Italy and is usually served with wild berries,chocolate sauce or fruit coulis -source Wikipedia
Vanilla Pannacotta

I have never made a Pannacotta before but when I tasted it in Napa Valley, California,I knew I had to try it at home sometime. It was such an easy thing and hardly takes anytime! So if any of you haven't tried this delicious creamy dessert at home before, try it now...or else you are really missing out on certain good things in life :) This is one of those desserts which you can make in less than 10 mins, that is, the active cooking time.

Vanilla PannacottaVANILLA PANNACOTTA with POMEGRANATE SAUCE
Recipe credits
For Pannacotta- Finla of My Kitchen Treasures
For Sauce - Your's truly
Ingredients:
For Pannacotta:
1c milk
1c heavy cream
1/2 c granulated sugar
3 tsp powdered gelatin
2tsp water
2tsp vanilla extract


For Pomegranate sauce:
1/2 a large pomegranate, seeds only
2tsp cornflour/cornstarch
1/4 c water
Sugar to taste
Vanilla Pannacotta

Method:
For Pannacotta:
Sprinkle the gelatin over cold water and let it bloom for 5 mins. Meanwhile get the other things ready.
Mix the milk,cream & sugar in a sauce pan and bring it to a boil.Switch off the flame.
Melt the gelatin in the microwave oven for 12 seconds. Stir well.
Add the vanilla extract and melted gelatin into the milk -cream mixture and stir well.
Pour into ramekins or any other glass bowls (it's easy to release) and let it set in the refrigerator for a minimum of 3 hours.


For Pomegranate sauce:
Puree the pomegranate seeds.
Add water, sugar to taste and the puree in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Add in the cornstarch and let the sauce thicken.
Once it's thickened slightly, take off the flame and let it cool completely.
Day 13-Assassination of a delicious dessert


Serving suggestion:
You can demould the dessert by dipping the bowls in hot water for less than a minute. The dessert will easily slide out of the bowl,onto a serving plate.
Pour the sauce over it and sprinkle some pomegranate seeds and garnish with a sprig of mint.



Verdict: Deliciously creamy smooth dessert with a slight tang from the beautiful sauce.You must serve these in small quantities as they are quite rich. A must have for my party menu next time on! :)

As most of you have seen on the top of this blog, my blog has been nominated for the Best of Indian Blogosphere 2010-Food Blogs, so please take your time and vote for me. Scoll up and look on the right hand sidebar and make sure you vote for my blog. Thank you! :)

Happy Friday!

18 Comments:

Umm Mymoonah said...

Looks very creamy and yummy.

Finla said...

Wowow you made it and it has come our perfect and looks beautiful . Now seeing this I want to have them too.
Love the picture too i think the pice makes me want it double.
Happy to hear it worked as pannacotta is sometimes a disaster and i have had it .

Swapna said...

Pannacotta is our fav too....Beautiful clicks Ria:)

notyet100 said...

hi this looks so delicious,..
any substitute for gelatin,..?

ManPreet Kaur said...

love this, thanks for the recipe..
Pls Visit My Blog
Music Bol
Banned Area News (Daily Update)
Real Ghost and Paranormal

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That is a wonderful dessert. So refined and pretty! I love your plate.

Going to vote for you now...

Cheers,

Rosa

Priya Suresh said...

Gorgeous dessert,truly inviting and pretty..

Vaishali Sharma said...

Delicious and pretty dessert! Looks great!
Voted for u! I hope u win!

Plateful said...

The pictures are gorgeous, Ria! I'm totally loving the pink and white combo - very appealing.

Beans said...

Happy to vote for such a lovely Blog. All that you cook is such an inspriration. Hope u win!

Ria Mathew said...

Thanks everyone!

Notyet- You can substitute agar agar /China grass for gelatin. I've done it but I don't quite remember the proportion while converting. 10g should do, though.

Rosa,Vaishali, Beans-Thanks for voting for me, girls :)

Divya Kudua said...

Hey Ria,I remember seeing a similar recipe in Vanitha pachakam and immediately thought of trying it,but as you may guess--the time has not come yet!!I love the texture of your panna cotta..looks absolutely droolworthy!!

Unknown said...

Love the styling on this one. I really like panna cotta, and the sauce seems like a great side :)

Nisha said...

Hey Ria,tried your recipe of pannacotta today....Its just perfect and melts in the mouth!! Love'd it :)

Nisha said...

Hey Ria, tried you pannacotta recipe today....its just perfect and melts in the mouth...love'd it :)

Unknown said...

Ria,

Tried it yesterday and loved it..My 2 year old daughter loved it and asked me to make it again..
i loved it because i dint get the gelatinous taste.. Thankyou for the recipe.
My syrup was not as pink as yours.. it was more purple-ish..

maria . K said...

hi,isnt 3tsp gelatine too much for 2 cups of liquid esp. if one is
looking for a soft set ? Pl dont get me wrong, Im just clarifying before I proceed.--Thanku for your time.

Ria Mathew said...

Hi Maria, this is just perfectly set with a jiggle to it but you can unmould it as well. You can reduce it if you want to. Don’t reduce a lot, maybe use 2 or 2.5 tsp. Hope that helps!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...