Ria's Collection: LEMON SQUARES... so tangy that it will make you smile!

Friday, March 11, 2011

LEMON SQUARES... so tangy that it will make you smile!

Lemons
Having never tried a Lemon Bar before I greedily happily reached out for one when Becky offered. I love whatever she cooks/bakes. Mike and Becky (who is a ballerina and is busy writing her first book!) are our friends in Minneapolis, who are more like family to us. We are there for all American Holiday dinners and we are fed upto our nose ! Their whole family talks about food all the time...just like the way I like a conversation to be! :)
Lemon Squares

On the way to their house, Cory, their son mentioned to me that Becky had baked the most tangiest lemon bars ever and that it was really really good! I couldn't wait till I reached their house :-D My eyes lit up as soon as I took a bite as it was really tangy that I got some weird sensation crawling up my jawline...the exact same one when I suck on a piece of Tamarind.I went for another bar...it was really good. It has a lovely buttery shortbread base topped with a tangy lemon layer. It had a beautiful yellow colour too...very pretty!
Lemon Squares
Becky mentioned she got the recipe from 'Byrely's' book and she was so gracious to share it with me. They are such a fantastic bunch of people. Becky has been trying out some of my recipes, one being the popular Chatti Pathiri and the other one being the Apple Chips. She's tried a Pear version too, which is equally fab! You just wouldn't miss munching on Potato Chips when you have Apple Chips!
IMG_1518
So without much talking (any further), let me share that delicious recipe with you. I couldn't stop licking the lemon layer which is sticky and it will stick to your fingers when you are cutting and transferring them to a plate.

IMG_1525LEMON SQUARES
Recipe source: Becky the Ballerina
Original recipe: Weekend Baking  by Sarah Randell

Ingredients:
Shorbread crust:
3/4 c all purpose flour
1/4 c powdered sugar ,plus extra for dusting
5 tbsp unsalted butter, chilled and cubed

Lemon layer:
3 large eggs
1 1/3 c sugar
Zest of one lemon
2/3 c lemon juice, freshly sqeezed
1/3 all purpose flour

Method:
Oil a 7 inch square tin. Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
Place 2 wide strips of baking parchment from one side of the pan to the other so that they form a cross (to aid in lifting out). Place a square of baking parchement on top of the strips as you would normally to line bottom of a pan.

Crust:
Put flour, sugar and butter and mix together with fingertips to resemble breadcrumbs. Tip the mixture into the prepared pan and press down firmly with your fingers. Poke holes in it with the tines of a fork and bake for 12-15 mins or until golden brown.

Lemon Layer:
Beat the eggs, sugar and lemon peel together for a minute.Gradually pour in the lemon juice while the beaters are still on.Stir in the flour* and pour over the baked shortbread base.
Lower the oven temperature to 300F and bake for 45 mins. The lemon layer will be set with a crust on it.
Let it cool completely. Cut them into 16 squares and dust with powdered sugar.

*I think I stirred quite a lot after adding the flour which created some foam over the batter. I think that's the reason why my crust is so pronounced.So don't get very excited like me and stir like there's no tomorrow. Here, moderation is the key ;-)
Lemon squares

Verdict: We simply love them! That's it! :)

My heart goes out to all the Tsunami & Earthquake victims in Japan. I hope all of you who are living on the Pacific coast takes necessary precautions and stay safe!

18 Comments:

divya said...

OMG,it looks gorgeous and so so so soft,

Unknown said...

Ria, Looks SUPERB! my second time to suggest that you should totally enter this for my cake event http://priyasnowserving.blogspot.com/2011/02/announcing-second-guest-event.html

Carrots and cherries said...

I have been following your blog very recently and I have found lots of drool worthy photos and recipes here !!!!

My mom also never shirks from trying new recipes, let alone her creating so many of her own.

I try and avoid food with eggs (other than macarons, need to conquer them soon). Inspite of that, the line "My eyes lit up as soon as I took a bite as it was really tangy that I got some weird sensation crawling up my jawline...the exact same one when I suck on a piece of Tamarind." just made me stop and look at the lemon bars and thoroughly relish them. I kind of felt the tamarind tanginess tingling my tastebuds ! (thousands of miles away ....)

cheers

Abhilasha

Rose /Magpie said...

Oh Ria Lemon Bars! My new favourites!Again I wish I was your neighbour! Now please post that lemon cake on your top bar I have been drooling over for weeks now!

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Wow...Looks superb and sure wud have been great...

FunWidFud

Unknown said...

I love lemon bars, the tangier the better. That meringue-y crust looks real good, even though you didn't intend for it, I think it's a great addition!

Priya Suresh said...

Those squares looks pretty tempting and inviting..

Unknown said...

they look delicious..can imagine the tangy taste

notyet100 said...

this looks gorgeous,.:-)

M D said...

That lemon bars look awesome. I would love a bite in them!

Swapna said...

Never tried Lemon bars, but tried Passion fruit bars and loved it! Love that blue plate of yours Ria.... get me one when you visit me in KTM ;);):D....

Sarah said...

seems lovely... i love anything lemony or even citrusy :)

Simones Kitchen said...

O these look so delicious! I love lemon-everything really, so this is just begging to be made! I am so glad I discovered your blog (through Daring Bakers)!

Vidhya said...

Lemon bars look awesome.These are my favorite other than anything chocolate:).Bookmarking this.

Anonymous said...

never tried lemon bars, these are looking so pretty and yummy. loved your clicks too

Archana said...

Superb I am tempted to try them out.

Nechu said...

Made them today.very very tangy,it really made us smile :) loved it

Unknown said...

Thank you for this lovely, tangy recipe. Some of my absolute favorite flavors all in one gorgeous pan.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...