Ria's Collection: HOMEMADE TANDOORI MASALA

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

HOMEMADE TANDOORI MASALA

Tandoori Masala

Ilove anything 'Tandoori'. It has a unique flavour and is so Indian. Whichever Indian restaurant you go to(atleast to the ones I've been), you will always find a Tandoori Chicken/Butter Chicken/Chicken Tikka Masala on the menu. It is so Indian. I think we should have a 'National Masala' and there will be a tough competition between 'Tandoori & 'Garam' masala for that title:-) I really wouldn't know which one to choose because I love both!
Tandoori Masala

There are some thoughts which bother me when I try to find the 'perfect' recipe. For me, if I have tasted anything homemade first and then go to a restaurant, I always compare it  'homemade' to 'restaurant'. But if I have eaten anything in a restaurant for the first time and I try to make it at home, then it's restaurant to homemade comparison. Whatever it is, I think it should be the former first as I feel that is the real cooking with real ingredients! It's not that the restaurants are serving anything plastic, but a lot of unhealthy amounts of butter,cream & oil goes into it. Some people feel that if you add  lumps of butter, your dish can go from poor to rich and taste exceptional and I've been a victim of that, a sad victim. It was like I was drinking butter in the form of a curry :-D
Tandoori Chicken

It's all about the freshness of ingredients, how much you add and where you add it  makes all the difference. Again, this is my personal opinion .Now what does all this have to do with a simple Tandoori Masala, you may ask! I just shared what was in my mind, that's all :-) I made the BEST EVER Butter Chicken for dinner last night with this homemade masala and that is for another post. So till then , find some time to make this masala and keep it ready! When I post the butter chicken recipe, if you feel like it, you can make it for dinner that night or else you can use it for other recipes :-)

HOMEMADE TANDOORI MASALA
Recipe source : My very good friend Sadhana Ginde

Ingredients:
2 tbsp garam masala
2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp coriander powder
4 tsp paprika (you can use Kashmiri Mirch)
2 tsp Kasuri Methi /Dried Fenugreek Leaves
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp red chilli powder

Method:
Combine all the ingredients above using a whisk/spoon/coffee grinder and store it in an airtight container. It stays fresh for 4-6 weeks.


Verdict: It tastes exceptionally good!! Jobin found me reaching for the bottle this morning to have a whiff of it :) It smells so nice!

33 Comments:

Archana said...

Hey this one will be good with cauliflower,potatoes and corn! Thanks!

A Kamalika Krishmy said...

Bookmarked it . This will be handy when you make tandoor aloo.. and panneer tikka

Unknown said...

Thanks for the masala recipe dear. Anything homemade is unbeatable :)

KrithisKitchen said...

Great recipe.. thanks for sharing.. I agree with you that adding butter or cream wouldn't make any dish better if you do not have the other best and fresh ingredients in the first place...

http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com
Breakfast Club - Pancakes

sanjeeta kk said...

Like the Kasuri methi in the spice mix. Could not understand how much and where to add the Tandoori masala though ;-)

Lite Bite

Priya Suresh said...

Quite a handy and useful masala powder..cant wait to try..

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Thanks for this recipe....Next time will try this as my tandoori masala is almost finished....

Nitha said...

Thanks for the recipe dear.. Lack of time is the fact that pulls people like me to ready made stuff.. This one is so easy and can be readily made :)

divya said...

Thanks for sharing....

Rose /Magpie said...

Waiting for the butter chicken and Tandoori chicken recipe now, apart from that lemon cake and the new Chatti Pathiri! Grrr! you keep torturing me with your suspense!

Unknown said...

all things homemade are unbeatable, I agree - Love the color!!!

Anu said...

this is absolutely precious Ria! thank u!

amna said...

ooh that does look awesome!

Divya Kudua said...

Simple recipe for Homemade Tandoori masala..I can smell some Paneer Tikkas..hmmm!!

chef and her kitchen said...

I m a vegetarian,so the pic of chicken legs on the tandoori masala powder never lemme buy it anytime,though I know the masala is 100% veg..ha ha...
I always use the combination of ingredients you mentioned for my marinades for paneer,alu n all...but never knew that these were the actual ingredients in tandoori masala powder as well..that masala is tempting me to make something wid it immediately..:)

Sunanda said...

Thnx for sharing the recipe..It is of gr8 help to make any tandoori item

Reshmi said...

i thnk this can b done with even in veggies tooo na...thnks for sharing this...as u said...really this iz un beatable...

Prathima Rao said...

Yess!!! Taste fantastic!!! I make a similar one for paneer tikkas & they taste better than restaurant version :) Nice cliks ria :)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Miriam Korula said...

this one is really a keeper, bookmarking it....:)...i know exactly what you mean when you talk about restaurant food vs homemade food....i'm forever comparing them too....:D

Chocolate & Chillies said...

This looks so simple. I have always bought my Tandoori Masala. I would love to give this a try. Can I substitute methi seeds for the kasoori methi?

Ria Mathew said...

Asiya- I'm afraid it will not serve the purpose as they taste a lot different. I really feel Kasuri Methi is a must as it is very fragrant and flavourful. But you can always try :)

Barbara43 said...

Hi Ria,
I have 5 recipes for a Tandoori Masala that I've collected from the Internet, including yours.
I tried your recipe today ~ mixed it with 1 tbsp oil to make a paste and marinated my skinless, boneless chicken pieces in it for 4 hours ~ cooked onions, and ginger/garlic paste, then added the chicken until sealed, then simmered it in yogurt, thinned with a little chicken stock, then thickened it with some cashew paste to finish. I served it over Basmati rice that I made spiced with whole Garam Masala.
It was such a fabulous meal, that I just had to write and tell you what a great Tandoori Masala recipe this is ~ I will now make a large batch to keep on hand. Thank you so much for sharing Ria.
Regards, Barbara in Toronto

Ria Mathew said...

Barbara- WOW! That was so quick!! Thank you so much for trying this out, you should try the Butter Chicken recipe too (the recent one). I;m sure you will like it.

So glad to know you had a delicious Indian meal! I am so happy that you wrote to me! x

Rinku Naveen said...

Ria dear..Gonna try this one tomorrow.. Will try the butter chicken too as its one of the fav with my kiddos.
Thanks for posting!!
Do visit my space when time permits.
Cheers

Barbara43 said...

Hi Ria,
Thanks so much for responding.
I will definitely try the Butter Chicken. I have a small collection of about 65 Indian Cookbooks, one of them being 'Everything Indian Cookbook' by Monica Bhide which has the Butter Chicken recipe in it.
I also have 45 Indian Blog/Recipe websites bookmarked that I frequent often ~ it's how I found your website a few days ago.
It's people like you, that make people like me, a better cook and I hope you know how much all your hard work and expertise is truly appreciated.
Thank you for all you do~
Regards, Barbara in Toronto

Ria Mathew said...

Barbara- You amaze me!! Thank you so much for stopping by! :)

Rinku chechy- Do let me know if you liked it, will stop by your place :D

Sarah said...

Hi Ria,

I made this Tandoori masala and used it in my tandoori chicken. It was absolutely awesome! This masala sure is unbeatable! I linked this post and Sadhana Ginde's recipe from my blog post :)

Unknown said...

About your restaurant to home comparison: I run a restaurant and will be trying your tandoori masala today. It looks like the right combination, and your enthusiasm is infectious . Will get back to you after I grill the chiken.

Vidhya Viju Govind said...

Made this n stored.smells so good ria.am glad I had all the ingredients in hand to put it together....talk abt searching for tandoori masala hereafter. ..thank u!!!

Vidhya Viju Govind said...

Made this n stored.smells so good ria.am glad I had all the ingredients in hand to put it together....talk abt searching for tandoori masala hereafter. ..thank u!!!

Baskaran said...

Stunning and fabulous. Being a vegetarian will try this masala for making tanduri ghobi.Bookmarked your recipe

Sruthi said...

Bookmarked...
Can you please share the exact proportion of home made garam masala?

Lakshmi said...

This is going to be a staple in my house, Ria! Your excitement and motivation to cook awesome food is infectious.
Lakshmi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...