Ria's Collection: ONE- BOWL VANILLA CAKE

Monday, April 4, 2011

ONE- BOWL VANILLA CAKE

Flowers
On Saturday, we Indians, the cricket crazy people waited with baited breath to see who would win the Finals of the Cricket World Cup. And we WON! Yeayy! So as usual my Facebook news feed was filled with Cricket updates and I thought of asking my friends how do they want to celebrate? 'Something sweet' was the most common answer , so we decided to cook/bake something sweet to celebrate the 'massive' victory.
Vanilla Cake

The minute I saw this cake on her blog, I knew I would try it that day itself and I did. I couldn't help but lick the batter just to see how it tasted with custard powder as an ingredient. It tasted like a box cake to me...I mean in a good way as I really like the Betty Crocker boxed vanilla cake. The city where we live, Minneapolis, is the 'home' of Betty Crocker. I don't know how many of you know that 'she' is just a fiction. There is no  real 'Betty Crocker' , sadly! How I wish there she was real and she lived even today...maybe I could have gone and met her :-)
Vanilla Cake

Also, it's exactly a year since we moved to Minneapolis, our first home. It's been an incredible year! Coming back to the cake, it's a very easy one-bowl cake as the name suggests. It has nice vanilla flavour and  is a very light cake with a good crumb. A perfect cake for tea time or any other time you feel like snacking on a piece of cake ;-)

Vanilla CakeONE-BOWL VANILLA CAKE
Original recipe: Betty Crocker Cookbook
I found this recipe on Aparna's blog.

Ingredients:
1/2 c unsalted butter,room temperature
1 1/4 c sugar
1 egg
1 3/4 c all purpose flour
1/2 c custard powder
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 c milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method:
Pre-heat the oven to 350F/180C .Line and dust an 8" round cake tin.

Using a whisk cream the butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
Add in the egg and whisk till incorporated and fluffy.
Add in the remaining ingredients one by one and whisk together for 2 mins.
Pour into the tin and bake for 55-60 mins or till done.
Cool in the tin for 10 mins, remove and cool completely.

* The design on the cake is natural , that's why I left it plain :)

Verdict: As I said before, this is an easy cake which is so full of vanilla flavour. Anytime you are pressed for time or otherwise, just use this recipe to get fabulous soft cake.

If you read through the recipe, you should have noticed that this recipe doesn't even call for an electric hand beater...it just needs a 'whisk'! Looks like I am in a 'Vanilla' mood...did you see the Vanilla Cupcakes with Glossy Frosting that I made a few days ago?

You can serve this cake plain , dusted with confectioner's sugar or even fruit sauces. I'm sure you will like it!

32 Comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A great cake! I really love the fact that it's made witha whisk...

That first click is beautiful!

Cheers,

Rosa

KrithisKitchen said...

Awesome clicks.... Perfect for the celebration...

http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com
Herbs & Flowers in my Platter - Coriander/Cilantro
Breakfast Club - Pancakes

Kankana said...

I like these kind of baking .. no fuss .. no mess .. quick and easy and yet super yummy. This one looks awsm.. my mom makes vanilla cake a lot.. but she never used custard powder.. which sounds interesting to me. I always have custard powder at home .. i will make this sometime soon :)
www.sunshineandsmile.com

Namitha said...

Ok, I think we have something similar...you know what..the thoughts about baking..lol..
Here you baked a vanilla cake for winning world cup and I made a chocolate cake ;-) and you know last day's story :D

Unknown said...

wow!...that cake looks amazing...and custard powder in cake----tempting me too!...should try it out!
Smitha
Smitha's Spicy Flavors

Emilia said...

I can attest to the deliciousness of this cake!! And I felt like a winner for having it offered to me on my birthday! Thank you Ria! I am so glad you are here in Minneapolis.

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Hey, good job on the cake! The sunflower imprint on the cake looks awesome! A very deserving cake for the anniversary and cricket cup 2011.

Rose from Magpies Recipes said...

Wow Ria! I love the sunflower design too! So cute! The cake looks fabulous! I made a one bowl cake too- a banana cake with no butter and no eggs! I'm very ambitiously doing one sweet dish every day this week! Hope I can keep it up! Come join my week long sweet celebration mini event!!!

Foodie Ann said...

Really ??? Betty Cocker is fictional ?? I didn't know that....Now I am sad...

Cake looks beautiful .. Simple just the way I like it...:)

Unknown said...

wow...what an amazing cake...loved it absolutely !

http://onlyfishrecipes.blogspot.com/

Justbeanme said...

Wow custard in a cake recipe hmmm!!!Like all other i too am bowled over ur imprint!!
India rocks!! indian cricketers rocks... n Indian blogger the rockers!!!
Lovely!!!

Chocolate & Chillies said...

This looks awesome. I've never seen custard powder in a cake before. I can't wait to try it. Thx for sharing!

www.chocolateandchillies.blogspot.com

Vaishali Sharma said...

OMG! Amazing Cake and Amazing Pics!! Would love a slice of that with HOT HOT Coffee!!

Justbeanme said...

BTW this was news to me abt BC,never knew it was a ficition!! grrr wish wish wish she was for real!! :)

Divya Kudua said...

I have bookmarked this recipe too,something so simple which gives such great results should definitely be tried!!

Sarah said...

this is simple yet lovely! btw, the flowers look lovely. love the way how to try to add flowers and fabrics to your clicks.

Seema said...

Hey Ria,

I'm simply taken aback looking at that pretty design on top of the cake! How has it come out naturally? Great clicks as usual... Your passion towards cricket has been infectious and I too am posting a cake to join the excitement.

Regards,
Seema
amchi-bong-konnexion.blogspot.com
seemabbas.blogspot.com

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

I know it is a great cake, made even better by the fact it is so little work. :)
Definitely good for celebrating. Looks like the cake was happy too, bubbled up into a sunflower for you. :D

Zareena said...

Wow excellent Ria, nice way to celebrate victory. Nice simple moist cake.

Tina said...

bookmarking this...iyoooo ippo vene.

Priya Suresh said...

Absolutely beautiful cake..awesome!

Ramya said...

Simple and lovely!! Perfect way to celebrate the victory..Loved the way it bubbled up :-)

divya said...

Awesome clicks....

Unknown said...

First time in your space..and I love it..oh yes..i love this simple elegant cake too..will try this for sure ..happy to follow u

Nithya said...

I love the naturally formed pattern on the cake :) Looks like a walnut ;)

Yummy cake and would love it more since its for our win :P

Sunitha said...

Loved the picture of the orchid very very much... Recipe I am sure is a knock out as usual.

swapna said...

Simple yet a great cake...love ur click!!

Purnima said...

Ria..my comment has disappeared!
I loved the cake, recipe, pic n more so the 'SUN' on it..SUNNY CAKE i m going to bake it today ! :)

Purnima said...

This is a yum cake, vanished in a two days, family compatible cake, Ria! :D Loved it..this is my second cake wt Custard pwder, first was frm Divya Kudua, eggless version.

Swapna said...

Beautiful cake... love those sunflower imprint:)....

Anupriya Kapur said...

Hi, I have been trying a lot of your recipes and all have turned out very nice. I baked the vanilla cake but I realize that my cakes are baking way before the estimated given time by you. Am I doing something wrong or does it depend on the oven type?

Unknown said...

Tried this cake today...only one word...yummmmyyyy !!! The only problem I had was the cake broke into 3 pieces when i turned it upside down ...Is it because I turned it over without waiting for it to cool down ??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...