Ria's Collection: THE REAL TIRAMISU...for me from him!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

THE REAL TIRAMISU...for me from him!

Birthday!
This time, it's me who is doing all the talking about the cake as opposed to last year when he did it all.So it was my birthday yesterday and as usual (the 2nd time) he asked me what I wanted him to bake for my birthday. He gave me about a month's time to decide because I need time to think always( because my mind wanders and I dream too much!). No prices for guessing, I changed my mind the last minute and chose my favourite dessert, Tiramisu. I have made a Tiramisu Cake before, but this time I wanted the real deal...The Real Tiramisu :-)
Tiramisu

Whenever we dine out, if there's a Tiramisu on the dessert menu, I always always eat that. We once drove about 6-7 miles just to buy a small piece of Tiramisu just because I felt like eating it...from that particular restaurant!  :-D I'm not sure how many of you have eaten at Bucca Di Beppo, they have one of the best Tiramisu's I've ever eaten so I end up comparing the one I'm eating to the one I ate at Bucaa ...always! :-)
Tiramisu
We were away for the weekend and got back home just in time for my birthday. We knew this early (duh!) so Jobin and I made sure all the things we needed for making my Tiramisu were in place before we left home. As soon as we got back, we unpacked our suitcases, opened a bottle of wine and chose a  'Suresh Gopi's' 'edi padam' to play as he took breaks from the Tiramisu-making. Then we spent the rest of the day (oh it's bright outside till almost 9.15 pm) watching the movie and slurping on some homemade Bisi Bele Bath.
Book

IMG_2561
That was my birthday gift sent to me by my reader and a good friend Elvina . Those tiny cakes are actually fridge magnets .Don't they look cute?? I really liked it, El. The minute I opened the packet, I was walking towards my fridge to place them on it :-) How on earth did you know that I have a fetish for fridge magnets?
IMG_2539
Also, I have Rose (btw, the chocolate buttons you see on top of the Tiramisu was sent to me by Rose, sometime ago) baking a cake to celebrate my birthday (She lives 1000's of miles away from me) and Dhanya cooking up my Chatti Pathiri to give me a surprise on my birthday! Gosh, you guys are just fantabulous!! Another reason for me to love food blogging!!

New Folder (4)12THE REAL TIRAMISU
Recipe source : Recipe behind the Alessi Savoiardi Cookie packet.

Ingredients:
For 1 portion Zabaglione
5 egg yolks
1/4 c sugar
1/2 c marsala (you can sub it with rum)

For the cheese layer:
1c whipping cream, chilled
4 tbsp sugar
450g Homemade Mascarpone cheese,at room temp.

2c freshly brewed strong coffee
1/2 c Rum or Marsala
1 tbsp Vanilla
24 nos. Savoiardi Cookies/Lady Fingers or as needed
3 tbsp Cocoa Powder

Extra Cocoa powder & Chocolate Curls for garnishing.
Method:
For the Zabaglione: In a small heatproof bowl, whisk together the egg yolks &sugar. Now, you need to set up a double boiler and let the water come to a full boil. Then reduce the flame to a simmer, place the bowl with the egg over it and whisk constantly and pour the marsala/rum into it. Keep whisking it till it forms into soft mounds. It won't take long. Transfer it to another bowl, wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 mins.

For the Cheese layer: Meanwhile, whip the cream with 2 tbsp sugar to soft peaks.Fold in the mascarpone and Zabaglione and mix carefully till well blended.Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

In a separate bowl, mix coffee,2 tbsp sugar,Marsala & Vanilla.

Arrange one layer of cookies to fit the pan that you are using and pour 1 tbsp of coffee mixture over each cookie so that they are well saturated but not falling apart.Spoon 1/3 rd cheese mixture over cookies and sprinkle with 1tbsp cocoa powder. Repeat two more time ending with cocoa. (We didn't follow this method of layering as I wanted it in a cake form)

Cover and refrigerate overnight so that the flavours mature well plus the cookies gets to soak up all that liquid.

Dust with some more cocoa and decorate with chocolate curls. Serve chilled.


Verdict: I couldn't stop licking the cream as and when he was making it because I just wanted to make sure it's up to the Bucca standards ;-) The next day (on my birthday) which was yesterday (confusing??) as I cut the cake and had a slice, the first thing  I said was,'Oh my goodness, this is so yummy! It tastes just like Bucca's! :-D

It is a very good one and is very very simple to make! Do try it at home. I'm sure you can substitute the  lady's finger with a good pound cake and proceed with the recipe if you live no where close to a supermarket which sells those fingers ;-) After all once they are soaked in the syrup, their texture is similar to a cake!

So make sure you try this for your next party!






26 Comments:

Radha Rayasam said...

This is my favorite dessert. Will follow your directions and bake. Lovely post!

LoveFeast Table said...

Happy Birthday Ria~ Best wishes for another fabulous year!!

Unknown said...

Once again happy birthday dear, the cake looks worth to die for. I cannot believe "he" made it. I doubt my hubby can do that. He is a good cook, but not a baker (neither am I). Love that card with fridge magnets, seriously cute :)

Justbeanme said...

I envy u...!!! U and URs are one big talent house....Wow wht a perfect cake for a tooo much perfect gal.. i loved ur magnets too.. wow Wht a treat

divya said...

Mouth watering recipe......looks awesome...Happy Birthday Ria...

Radhika@foodfor7stages said...

How sweet of you husband.. He has given you the best birthday gift. Tiramisu looks utterly delicious.

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Can see you had a fantastic tiramisu birthday! Great way to celebrate, huh?
And thoss fridge magnets are gorgeous. :)

Divya Kudua said...

What a wonderful gesture[for the second time]from Jobin!!*note to Ria*--can you imagine Prince Willy ever doing this??Nay!!hehe

Making Tiramisu from scratch is one of my culinary dreams--let's see when it comes to reality!

Sarah said...

happy birthday Ria and such cute gifts :)

Plateful said...

Happy Birthday, Ria! Many great returns!

Such lovely treats from every one -- goes to show how much you are loved! God bless.

Gayathri Ramdas Sreekanth said...

Wow..so beautiful n truly professional ! Belated b'day wishes Ria !!

Vimitha Durai said...

Thats a lovely cake...Great go from ur hubby... Happy Birthday to u...

gigi said...

Happy Birthday dear!!

ur last b'day was just yesterday!!..i still have clear memory of Jobin doing that wonderful cake for u..

this cake also is so great and such a sweet tradition that u guys started...

those cake magnets and chocolate buttons are absolutely cute...

Shruti said...

it looks so good ! tiramisu is one of my fav desserts :D belated happy bday to you !! wishing you a yummy year ahead ;-)

notyet100 said...

will try sometime,../
thnks for the recipe,itsmy fav too,.

Unknown said...

Happy Bday Ria..and the dessert looks sinfully delicious

Sunanda said...

Happy birthday dear!! Cake looks amazing..

Sunanda's Kitchen

Purnima said...

This is awesome Tiramisu JoAl...wen do u plan blogging? :D Ria, u made paavam boy do all this wt manual tools? U didn't share ur Kitchen Aid! Tch tch..baddie bad..who cleaned up after ?? :D :D (On other hand, God Bless u both, may this be quality b untouched for centuries! Amen.)

My Kitchen Antics said...

it used to be my fav. but an over dose of it kinda killed it...although the fact tht its super easy to make has me wanting to try a tiramisu charolette soon. the magnets are too cute

Ramya said...

Happy birthday Ria:-)
I guess the cake totally made ur day!!

Priya Suresh said...

Once again my hearty birthday wishes Ria, tiramisu looks simply out of the world, u r blessed dear..

Sanctified Spaces said...

That is such a lovely gesture.Tiramisu is a lovely dessert indeed.It must have been decadent,lucky you.

Xiaolu said...

Tiramisu is my all-time favorite dessert so I'm practically licking my screen looking at your post. Looks just divine!

Anzz said...

Happy Bday Ria... That is a fab cake u have there... here's wishing u many years more, infinitely sweeter than the year before it..!!

Fajeeda said...

Happy B'ady Ria...Hope U Enjoyed With The Delicious Tiramisu......

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for this recipe Ria
This has turne d to be a delicious dessert
But would you pls tell me how it turns out to be a cake
I did it in a cake tray with removable bottom but it always melted frm the sides :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...