Ria's Collection: 30 LAYERED NUTELLA CREPE CAKE, for my birthday boy!

Monday, May 7, 2012

30 LAYERED NUTELLA CREPE CAKE, for my birthday boy!

Jobin's Birthday Cakes

Yes, you read it right! This little cake has 30 layers in it. 30 layers of soft melt-in-the-mouth French Crepes layered & coated with a nutella ganache. I came up with this idea after our trip to Vegas. We both kind of really really like Crepes, so why not make something with it for his Birthday! The number of layers has another implication to it, he just turned the big number!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOBIN!

Crepe Cake

I've never made a French crepe before but I've had a lot of good experience with Indian crepes/ Dosa's especially the finicky Neer Dosa. Therefore, I didn't have much doubts of me pulling these off.Alton Brown recipes are easy to follow and give exceptionally good results! Having tried his Homemade Chocolate & Boston Creme Doughnuts in the past and loving it, I didn't have to think twice before I went ahead with this one.

30 layered Crepe Cake

When I say that, I really mean it...they were so easy to make. Easy batter, easy flipping and tastes great on the palatte ! These crepes can be made ahead of time, which I usually never do but this time, I did try. It worked...like a charm! I doubled the quantity and it gave me 32 crepes, so the remaining 2 went straight into my belly while assembling the cake.

30 layered Crepe Cake

If you want to make a cake which is taller, you may need atleast 60-80 layers because crepes are really thin and even after stacking them up with the frosting in between, they don't grow much taller. It has it's own advantages, like seeing the jaws around you drop as everyone would be expecting a 2 or 3 layers inside it. Don't overdo the frosting as it would only make you feel heavy after eating it. Imagine 30 layers with thick frosting...no, you wouldn't want to imagine that!

30 LAYERED NUTELLA CREPE CAKE
Crepe Cake Recipe for the crepes (with video) : Alton Brown
Recipe for the nutella ganace: My own

Ingredients:
For the crepes
2 large eggs
1 c flour
3/4 c milk
1/2 c water
3 tbsp butter, melted
2 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Method: Dump all the ingredients into a blender and whizz it for just 7-10 secs. Refrigerate the batter for 1 hour or upto 48 hours. Heat a small non stick skillet on medium high and butter the botton and sides. Pour 1/4 c of the batter into the centre of the pan and swirl to spread the batter evenly. Cook for 30 seconds and flip carefully. Cook for another 10 seconds. Remove the crepes and leave them to cool on a  chopping board. Once cooled, you can stack them up, cover with a clingfilm and store it the fridge for several days.

For the Nutella Ganache:
200g nutella
200g semi sweet chocolate
200g cream

Method: Combine all the ingredients together in a saucepan and cook over medium heat till the chocolate and nutella melts. Use it in between the crepes for stacking and also for cover the sides of the crepe cake.
Let the cake chill till needed and dust with cocoa just before serving.


Crepe Cake slice

When he got back home from work, I think he forgot about the 2nd cake. So when I told him,'There's something for you', his face lit up because he knew it was the other cake. The table was set out and the cake was cut while I sang for him.The minute he cut into it and pulled out a slice he said, 'WOW!'. Of course, the next question had to be,'Guess the no. of layers!'. Knowing me,he guess it right and after the first bite, I made him count all the layers just to tell myself that I'm not so predictable! :-)

34 Comments:

Unknown said...

This is so beautiful! Great job Ria. A very happy (30th) bday to your Jobin :D.

Ambika said...

Such a gorgeous cake Ria!! Happy Birthday to Jobin :) I have always wanted to make a crepe cake, but somehow it has never materialized. This looks beautiful and so perfect!!

Anonymous said...

I bet the birthday boy was excited looking at this cake! It looks pretty perfect and beautifully presented.

Ansh said...

Love the composition of this picture. And I am sure the Birthday boy was beyond Happy.

M D said...

Simply beautiful Ria! Wishes to the Birthday boy, Jobin!

Chef Mireille said...

wow - I am beyond impressed

Manju said...

awesome lady!!!

Kanchan said...

This is awesome .. can fly off as no-bake cake too .

Divya Kudua said...

OMG Ria,you never cease to amaze each one of us:)30 layer cake for a 30 year old birthday boy,now that is something amazing!The layers look so pretty,Nutella ganache is a lovely idea too!

Sarah said...

the cake is spectacularly gorgeous! Happy birthday to Jobin... 30 layers!!! u sure have a lot of patience!!!

Unknown said...

Again, Happy Birthday Jobin. This is such an awesome cake. Bookmarked :)

Arch said...

I should stop visiting this site during office hours. God, you make me so hungry! Delicious stuff.

misha said...

This is an amazing thought.... Beautifully creative... Love it and awesome clicks.....hats off.... Sure to try this :)

Yasmeen said...

Wow, WOW! This is truly impressive. Lovely! I've always wanted to make a crepe cake and was considering it for mothers day. You've inspired me.

Priya Suresh said...

U rock dear, thats an incredible cake.

Nithya said...

Stunning cake. Loving it totally :) great idea and lovely way to make your man feel special :)

Vidhya Viju Govind said...

lovely ria ............very creative :)

Anna said...

Hi Ria:

I have been following your blog for a while but never commented. I love your blog and find it so inspiring, fun and with a ton of great recipes. I have tried your samosas, cutlets, cherupayar olarthiyathu, pita bread, beef olarthiyathu and yesterday I tried your oreo cookie cake for my son's 14th birthday since he likes oreos a lot. It turned out yummy.

Thanks and God bless,

Anna

Unknown said...

Loved it... http://www.gujaratonnet.com

Anonymous said...

A masterpiece indeed. Many wishes to your husband!

Unknown said...

Such a wonderful Idea of turning Crepes into a Cake.. I think I saw something similar on my trip to France, but never thought I would come across such luscious cake again..

Lovely !

Amritha said...

Brilliant Ria! I can't wait till Jobin's next birthday to see what you come up with. Hope both of you had a fab day!

Unknown said...

ohhh wow...I'm amazed dear...30 layered cake !!!!!amazing...loved the presentation n clicks !!

Spandana said...

Wow.. the cake looks just amazing!!! Beautiful pictures too!!
I am sure the birthday boy must have been super excited!!!

Unknown said...

Awesome…
Deccansojourn.com

gigi said...

Ria,

I have said it before and am saying it again....with every new creation, u outsmart urself...this is awesome,Ria!!!

Keep soaring...so happy n proud of u!!!

a very very Happy(its ok that it is a bit belated, rt?)Birthday to Jobin...

Twinsy Rachel said...

If there was an "agree" button for all the comments above, I would have cliked it. U r really smart girl :) Proud to have u as a friend :)

Sunitha Philip said...

The Cake looks nice &yummy.As u metioned in some your post back ,am a silent reader of your blog and i reffered ur blog to somany for ur recipies &the way you present it.Itz like reading a story.Keep on going....really u need appreciation for your work.

Sunitha Philip said...

lovely cake ..looks yummy too.As you told in ur post long back am a silent reader of you.Itz like reading a story...Ur presentation is also nice.Really you need apperecition for the effort you are taking .Keep on going.Thanks for sharing wonderful recipies.I tried some of your recipies it come out well too.

Unknown said...

Excellent cakes. There is no doubt that it is one of the best birthday cake that i ever seen and there are lots of hard works to made this cakes. Great job and thanks for sharing this amazing post.

Cute Kitchen said...

Beautiful cake! I'm planning to make this cake this Sunday. Can u please tell me the size of your skillet to make theese crepes? I have 2 omlette skillet size around 8' and 10'. Which one would you think will come out best? Thank you

Nammu said...

Hi Ria,

What a beautiful cake... Being inspired by the pictures, I did attempt making this. Unfortunately it didnt turn out as lovely as yours :( :( :(.. Nonetheless will be attempting once more. But I thought I should leave a comment here to say what a beautiful simple no bake yummy cake!! Thank you so much for sharing.

Cheers,
Narin

Wonder Woman said...

I made this cake today for my Mom's birthday. After about 20 layers, the layers of crepes kept sliding off. I ended up layering the cake in a smaller sized springform pan so that it would stay in place. After refrigeration, I was able to release the cake. It was delicious.

Ria Mathew said...

Thanks Narin & Wonder Woman! 😊

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...