Ria's Collection: CHAKKA KOZHACHATHU

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

CHAKKA KOZHACHATHU

Chakka Kozhachathu
Hello everyone! I am back after 5 months of hibernation.Our Winter this year was so long and all I wanted to do was to curl up on the couch under my favourite throw and do nothing! I was just plain lazy to shoot any new videos or even write a recipe post here. Appa and Amma were with us for Christmas and they left in February. So blogging or video shooting at that time is out of the question! I try to cherish every minute of family time when we are together. Kids had the time of their life with grandparents around. Ian and Zara have grown a LOT. Zara speaks quite a bit,loves to snack and would tell me exactly what she feels like eating. Off late,she will just go grab what she wants and how much she wants. I just need to give her a 'Pate' to hold her stuff. It's hilarious to watch her grow. She is very expressive so sometimes it's like watching a live comedy show .

The thought of getting back to blogging took me a while because it's so competitive now. It's only about numbers, likes, post engagement, SEO and the likes. I do not care for it but when I hear all of this, it's like do people even write just for the one reason they began a blog...the love for cooking and sharing!

Anyway. Here's a quick and easy recipe for a naadan dish that I recently made for Jobin because he loves Chakka Kozhachathu with Kozhi Curry and has been asking me for the last 7 years. So I decided to make it for his birthday week. He was surprised and enjoyed every bite of it!
CHAKKA KOZHACHATHU
My own recipe
Chakka Kozhachathu
Ingredients
:
750 g raw jackfruit *,deseeded & thinly sliced
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 cup grated coconut
4 green chilies
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
4 pearl onions, sliced
3 dry red chilies
1 sprig curry leaves
1/4 cup coconut oil
Salt

Method: Pressure cook jackfruit along with turmeric, salt and 1 cup water for 5-6 whistles or till it is completely cooked and mashable.Roughly grind together coconut, green chilies & cumin seeds along with a tablespoon of water, if needed. Add the ground paste to the cooked jackfruit and mix well. Adjust salt and add water to loosen the mixture if needed.
In a pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add in the pearl onions and fry till golden. Add the curry leaves followed by dry red chilies. Turn off the heat and pour the tempering over the jackfruit mixture.
Serve hot with fish curry or chicken curry.

* I used frozen raw jackfruit. It worked really well.
I know, this post has only one photo. I just didn't feel like taking more. :-)
So what's been up with you all? It's been a very long time since we spoke! Update me,friends!

1 Comments:

Sreekala N Nayar said...

Hi Ria,

Great recipe, just in time for jack fruit season in Kerala :) Do keep posting regularly, I really enjoy your pictures and recipes. Don't worry about competing!

One hint: Next time you make this dish, try adding 6 cloves of garlic to the ground ingredients. It makes for a more flavorful dish and is a staple in my family!

Keep up the good work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...