Ria's Collection: COCONUT OATMEAL SNACK BARS

Monday, May 23, 2011

COCONUT OATMEAL SNACK BARS

Coconut Oatmeal Bars
Idon't think I have told you that I love Coconut Oil or have I? It shouldn't come as a surprise since I come from the Land of Coconuts, Kerala.Given a chance I would cook everything in it,I mean, Kerala stuff. So when I was packing to move to the US one of the two things I held precious were my cookbooks and then 2 packets of Coconut Oil. Unfortunately, in the last minute hurry, I forgot to take the 2 precious packets and I realised that only after I landed here :-( You can guess it, I was definately not happy! So when Amma got a chance, she sent 2 packets with Jobin's bro when he got back after his visit to India.
Coconut Oatmeal Bars

That second packet out the 2 packets is almost over now and that's when Jen from Kelapo wrote to me asking if I wanted to review their product,Kelapo 100% Pure Virgin Coconut Oil. I jumped up with joy and grabbed the offer and she put it in the mail for me that day itself. As soon as I received the packet, I tore it open , unscrewed the bottle's cap and sniffed into it. It smelt so good but much more coconut-y almost like coconut cream. Maybe it's the difference in the processing that it smells different from the regular Indian Coconut Oil.
Coconut Oatmeal Bars

I have read a lot about using Coconut Oil in baking and since I love coconut oil and baking, I decided to combine the two and see how it works in Megan's recipe. The results were good and we loved it. I shared most of it with a friend of ours and she liked it too.
Coconut Oatmeal Bars

The folks at Kelapo has offered you readers a 20% discount if you want to try some of that wonderful oil,so at the checkout use the code Ria20 (It's case sensitive!) to get some bucks off!


Coconut Oatmeal Bars
Aaaannnd my little brother passed his board exams in super flying colours!! So watch out for the next post...there will be some cake in it :)

Coconut Oil
COCONUT OATMEAL SNACK BARS
Makes 12 bars
Ingredients:
1/4 c coconut oil (You can use regular vegetable/canola oil)
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1/4 c granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tbsp skim milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup oats ( I used Quaker)
1/2 c + 2/3 c  wholewheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 c dessicated coconut

3/4 c chocolate chips, melted
Method:
Pre-heat oven to 350F/180F

Beat together oil, sugars,milk,egg & vanilla for 2 mins or till the sugar dissolves.
Dump the dry ingredients into the wet and mix together until just combined with a rubber spatula.
Spread this in a lightly greased 8 x 8 in. square baking tin and bake for 20-25 mins or until golden( It will be soft to touch).
Take it out and spread the melted chocolate over it. Cool completely and cut into bars.
Store in an airtight tin.

Verdict: Delicious to the last bite! The coconut oil can be substituted for your vegetable/canola oil and still get perfect results! I know I am going to try many other recipes with Coconut Oil. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I really am falling for wholewheat in baking!

13 Comments:

Unknown said...

Looks luscious with all that chocolate in there Ria.

Shobana senthilkumar said...

Nice tempting cookies with chocolate coating ria:)

Nitha said...

tempting and delicious...

Sneha Benny said...

Tempting cookies Ria !!!

Satrupa said...

Looks very delicious .... luv the chocolate layer. Wish I could get my hands over it :p Lovely Clicks too ...

Sarah said...

That's wonderful to use coconut oil in baking! And love those bars mostly because it is chocolate coated :)

Unknown said...

I luv all those ingredients that go into these snack bars...looks yummy

Miriam Korula said...

those look so so good...the chocolate layer makes it look perfect...:)

Swapna said...

Never baked anything with our coconut oil... these bars are very tempting Ria.. will try this for sure:)

Sunanda said...

Looka absolutely yummy.. my kid would definitely like this.

Sunanda's Kitchen

Priya Suresh said...

Very addictive and marvellous snack bars..

Saji said...

Say HI to your new follower...
Awesome blog and recipes tooo

thesaji.blogspot.com

Justbeanme said...

Love ur presentation as always! Wow coconut oil and chocolate ... deadly combo..would love to try it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...