Ria's Collection: DRAAKSH RAITA

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

DRAAKSH RAITA

DRAAKSH RAITA
I never thought a combination of fresh grapes and yogurt could be this good! I saw this recipe in my friend Raghavan Iyer's latest cookbook, Indian Cooking Unfolded, a few weeks ago but never got around to making it until recently. It was like a revelation to me. It really changed the way I looked at combining fruits with spiced yogurt. I am thinking of pineapple and yogurt next! What do you think?
DRAAKSH RAITA
I was making my Kerala Style Beef Biriyani that evening and since we had friends over, I thought of making some Raita to go along with it. Jobin & myself like to have our biriyani's as is. We don't like mixing it with the usual accompaniments. But,like I mentioned earlier, I made it just incase our friends wanted something to mix their biriyani with.
DRAAKSH RAITA
It turns out even they liked their's plain.Even then, they did take a spoonful just to taste the 'new' raita I told them about.'The raita is awesome', was their only reply. I tasted it as soon as it was made and knew it would hit the spot with everyone! And it sure did!
DRAAKSH RAITA 
DRAAKSH RAITA Makes 3 cups

Ingredients:
2 cups plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, dry roasted
1/2 pound crisp,fresh green and red seedless grapes,sliced in half
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Method:Whisk together yogurt,salt & red chili powder.Add the dry roasted cumin seeds along with the grapes and cilantro and fold it in. Serve chilled.

This raita will keep in the refrigerator,covered,for up to 5 days.


This raita tastes a lot different from all other raitas. I felt, it did taste like a chaat,due to the addition of dry roasted cumin seeds. There's something so addictive about this one because there's sweet & salty along with the heat from the red chili powder. You have to try it to believe me :)
Mr. Raghavan also suggests that we can toss the remaining raita with some greens for a luscious, low-fat, oil-free dressing! How cool is that?

3 Comments:

Wanderlust said...

Heyy..been doing this for long at home..
Pineapple goes great..but I would suggest chilli flakes instead in the same recipe
But my absolute fave is pomogranate..to up the Heath quotient. I even mix in grated carrot and chopped blanched spinach..its now become my to go raitha..even a sprinkling of chat masala on top to jazz things up a bit!

Congratulations on your wonderful blog..it's always a pleasure to read

Preetha said...

Incredibly delicious looking raita...a must try i guess.. always loved the sweet and sour combi...thanks for sharing

Ankita said...

i'll try this raita for sure!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...