Ria's Collection: STRAWBERRY & VANILLA BAVARIAN CREAM GATEAU

Monday, June 27, 2011

STRAWBERRY & VANILLA BAVARIAN CREAM GATEAU

IMG_2733

Not sure how many of you know about the Minnesotan weather. It's COLD...very very COLD here during winters with the temperature going as low as -40 C. Last winter was my first winter here in the US and from the Day 1 after I moved to Minnesota, whoever knew it was going to be my first winter here said,'It's long', 'It's COLD!', 'Ooooh! You have to experience it!'.

I was prepared for the worst, in my head. Therefore I expected everyday to be worse than the previous day but once it's cold, it's just COLD. It doesn't seem to get any cold-er to me until the wind blows! :-) Jobin made sure we never stayed indoors especially on the weekends, so we used to go sledging and playing in the snow. We always always had a sledge in our car so that if we ever spot a small hill covered with snow, we would stop the car there, pull the sledge out and go sledging! It was fun! I never hated those cold days...all because of him.
Strawberry & Vanilla Bavarian Cream Cake

Last winter, my first winter lasted loooong. We skipped Spring. I was still wearing a sweater till the end of May and a few days in June. Everyday I'd wait for the sun to make an appearance. Finally we hit Summer and the days are still cloudy and rainy. Not sure whether I'll be around here to witness the Minnesota Summer this year since I'll be home sweet home! I'm trying my best to soak up the sun here...to make sure I get my dose of Vitamin D, naturally...from Mr. SUN.
IMG_2722

I baked this cake over the weekend. To honour Summer, I used fresh berries. Strawberries, to be precise. You would have guessed that from the title :-) We had some friends over for dinner on Saturday so this cake was baked for them. I love serving cakes,not plain cakes but layered cakes for our guests,for dessert.
IMG_2717

He had to come and touch that layer because he loves Bavarian Cream and you can see that in the picture, above! I have used it before in Jobin's Birthday Gateau & Mocha Bavarian Cream Gateau with Joconde Imprime. It's such an awesome filling for cakes and our guests love it as it is very smooth and not too sweet.It sets well and leaves a lasting impression!

IMG_2713STRAWBERRY & VANILLA BAVARIAN CREAM GATEAU
Serves:10

Ingredients:
For the sponge:
3 eggs
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c all purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla

For the Vanilla Bavarian Cream (Use only half the quantity)
22 g Gelatin
150 ml cold water
5 large egg yolks
125 g granulated sugar
500ml warm milk
8 ml Vanilla Extract
500 ml whipping cream

Soaking Syrup 
1 c sugar and 1 c water boiled together for 2 mins or till sugar dissolves.

Strawberries for lining the cake tin

Method:
For the Vanilla Sponge:
Pre-heat the oven to 350F/ 180C.Prepare an 8" round cake tin.

Beat together the sugar,vanilla and eggs on high speed for 12 mins. Now, they would have tripled in volume.
Fold in the flour and pour into a prepared tin.
Bake for 30 mins or till done.
Cool in tin for 10 mins, turn it onto a cooling rack and cool completely. Cut into 2, horizontally, when cooled.

For the Bavarian Cream:
Soak the gelatin in water. Leave it aside to bloom.
Beat together the yolks and sugar. Pour in the milk while whisking constantly.
Using a double boiler,on medium, cook the milk-egg mixture till they thicken slightly, 4-5 mins.
Take it off the flame and add the melted gelatin into it and mix well.
Chill in the fridge, stirring every now and then till they thicken up.
Beat the whipping cream to soft peaks and fold into the custard.

Assembly:
On a plate or a cake stand, place one round of the cake and soak it with 1/2 c of Soaking Syrup.
Place a cake ring/Springform tin's ring and tighten it.
Place halved strawberries with their pointed tip facing up and the cut-surface facing the cake ring.
Fill in with Bavarian Cream and place the next round of cake and soak it with 1/2 c Soaking Syrup.
Let it set in the fridge overnight.
Dust with powdered sugar and serve in wedges.


Verdict: LOVED IT, like totally! :-) Jobin insists that I make something with Bavarian Cream everytime, now!

All the pictures are SOOC (Straight-out-of-the-camera)
Happy Monday, peeps! Also, don't forget to register for My Baking Class in Kannur!

28 Comments:

Archana said...

I am not reading this post. I don't want to feel hungry again. This was my first reaction but could not resist it.

delicious cake dear.I wish i was your guest. They are lucky.

Aarthi said...

this looks so yummy

Vandana Sarah said...

OMG ..this looks sooo yummy ...Bavarian cream is one of my favorite
I will try to make this sometime...

Purnima said...

Looks gorgeous..loved the thick layer of cream bordered wt lovely fresh strawberries! Just yum!

Rookie Qookie said...

Lovely Pics and I must say you wud have enjoyed it..Enzaiii!!

Cheers,
Reshmi aka Beulah Hepzi :)

Vimitha Durai said...

This looks so yummy and irresistible... Everyone would have enjoyed such a lovely cake..

Reshmi Mahesh said...

This looks very delicious and yum...

Nitha said...

Delicious cake.. Nice clicks too..

Deepthi KR said...

wow this cake looks yummy...perfect clicks...
hello ria
First time here, your blog is colorful and delicious filled with recipes.
I'm happy follower of your blog now.
plz stop by mine when you find time.
Happy Blogging!!!!
Food Blog News Daily
Good Food Recipes

Rose from Magpies Recipes said...

Soo pretty! I lined my pan with strawberries too, but had used a chocolate mousse that time and yours is way neater! Now I really want to try Bavarian cream too :)

Unknown said...

Yum Ria !!! That looks divine :)

Sarah said...

it absolutely gorgeous, Ria! I agree with Jobin, avarian Cream in cakes is superb!

divya said...

wow.. looks so perfect and tempting , that I feel like grabbing it from the pic....yum yum

Miriam Korula said...

your husband must feel like the luckiest guy in the world....honestly....this cake is but gorgeous...another lovely post of urs to ogle at...:)

Shanavi said...

Looks so pretty and never made that cream..But after ur write, am sure gonna make this.

Anonymous said...

I made a Japanese version of this cake, it is so yummy I have to try this version now! yay for more strawberries with cream and sponge.

Unknown said...

Wow gorgeous clicks...looks yummy

Prathima Rao said...

Gorgeou, creamy & heavenly cake Ria!!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, wat a pretty looking cake, excellent and irresistible..

Nachiketa said...

Lovely cake... drooling... :)

Cheers,
The Variable, Crazy Over Desserts - Nachiketa
Catch me on facebook @ Crazy Over Desserts

Swapna said...

Very very pretty cake Ria! Never tried Bavarian cream... will try this once I am back from my summer holidays... since you assured no eggy taste will definitely try this :D..

Cooking Foodie said...

Lovely pics... great looking cake... I am now curious about the bavarian cream.. will surely try it...

Unknown said...

That cake looks gorgeous Ria. Your snow adventures sound like soo much fun :)

I've bookmarked the bavarian cream to try, since you love it so much!

Ria said...

I lived in WI for years, went to school there, so I know what you mean by the deep long winter of MN. But so nice that your hubby and you went out to enjoy the snow through the cold months. I never did that, so clearly I kinda hated the snow after the novelty wore off. The playing in the snow was fun until I realized I have to slip and slide to all my classes. :)
Beautiful cake, btw. If you had a bakery I would stop by to get a bite.

Sarah said...

Hi Ria,

This is the easiest recipe for a sponge. And it is just perfect for people like me who had to bake a cake, cool it and frost it all in less than 2.5 hours. I made this sponge as per your recipe and it came out fabulous. In less than an hour, i had the sponge cake cooling on the wire rack :) and it cooled in about another hour :) Thanks for this recipe. Though I didnt get time to try your bavarian cream and hence just filled my cake with chocolate and frosted it with whipped cream :)

Sarah said...

Hi Ria,

I finally tried this cake and the bavarian cream with a few changes due to the lack of certain ingredients. And it came out fabulous! Thanks for this awesome recipe. Will post about it soon..

Anu said...

Your cakes are making me jealous!!!its looks so great...am exploring ur blog today for the first time..not complete yet as you got lot of recipes but i was bit dissapointed by your Chicken Biriyani picture(rice looks over cooked or sticky).You can take a better picture next time as your baking photos proves your r again too good in taking photos!!-
regards Anu

Ria Mathew said...

Anu, Welcome to my little blog :) I'm happy to hear that you find it interesting.

Oh that Chicken Biriyani was posted a long time ago when I cared less for how things looked in photographs :) Trust me, the rice was just done. We use a different type of rice in Malabar for making biriyani. It's a short grain rice so that's probably why you felt the rice was overcooked :-)

Anyways, thanks for your feedback and enjoy your stay! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...