Ria's Collection: THE ART OF CURRY MAKING

Friday, September 3, 2010

THE ART OF CURRY MAKING


I made this curry for our dinner last night. I didn't have any idea as to what to make. I knew I wanted something with an onion- tomato puree based, but what veggies should I add in it?
I was talking with Jobin's mom over the phone while I was sauteeing the masala. And the conversation went like this:

Mummy: So, what are you cooking today?
Me: Curry, but I don't know what curry to make though I am sauteeing the masala now.
Mummy: Don't you have chicken or something at home?
Me: I do, but we had chicken curry 2 days ago :-(
Mummy: Make an egg curry then!
Me: Jobin had eggs for brekky already...so no more egg dosage ( though I'd love to! )
Mummy: (smiles)
Me: Sigh! Will do something.

Whenever I am in confusion, I open my kitchen cabinet where I keep my veggies,dal etc and stare at it (sometimes play with my hair too), trying to make a decision. And I instantly found my answer! POTATOES! How could I forget about it?? They are our fave and used to be my saviour at all my ' I don't know what to make' situation. I have no idea how I could forget about it ! Maybe because it's a long weekend and I am super excited about our trip to Wisconsin! :)









'IT ALMOST TASTES LIKE AN ALOO MAKHANI' CURRY
My own recipe and I am so proud of it :-)



Ingredients:
Potatoes- 2,large peeled and cubed
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
Green chillies- 4, slit
Dry red chillies- 2
Red onion- 1, large (If you are in India or elsewhere, please use 2 large onions. We get coconut-sized onions here :D )
Tomatoes- 2 large ( If you are in India or elsewhere, please use 3 medium sized tomatoes.)
Water- 1/2 cup + 1 cup
Ginger garlic paste- 2 tsp
Coriander powder- 1 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Salt- to taste
Oil- 3 tsp
Kasoori Methi/Dried Fenugreek leaves- 1 tbsp

Method: ( I cooked the curry on medium heat since it involved puree and I didn't want my kitchen to be splattered red and pink!)

  • Puree the onions and tomatoes together adding 1/2 cup of water.
  • Heat oil, add the mustard seeds and let it pop. Add the cumin seeds and let it crackle .
  • Add the green chillies and dry red chillies to it and fry for 10-15 secs.
  • Add the pureed mixture and mix well . Cover with a lid and cook for 15 mins stirring every now and then.
  • Add in the ginger garlic paste and mix well for a minute.
  • Add in the powders,salt , mix well , cover and cook for 3-4 mins.
  • Add in the potatoes, mix to coat ( by now the water must have all reduced).
  • Add in the remaining 1 cup of water and cook till the potatoes are fork- tender.
  • Crush the Kasoori Methi in your palm and add to the curry. Mix well.
  • If you want the curry to be rich and more like the makhani gravies,use ghee instead of oil in the beginning & add 1/2 cup of cream and 2 tbsp of unsalted butter toward the end. mix well and serve hot with roti's ,naan's etc.


Verdict:
Nowadays curry making is like an art for me.Maybe I don't know what veggies should go into it, but I very clearly know how I want it to look and taste like. And when I achieve that, I am a very happy girl.

When I set forward to make this curry, I had an imagination as to how I wanted it to turn out. I wanted it to have onion-tomato puree base with a hint of spices and I even knew how it wanted to smell. And trust me, I was able to get it into reality.
This curry will make you lick your fingers clean, of course your plate too! It pairs very well with Basmathi rice or even Sona Masoori. I knew I wouldn't be satisfied with just rice and curry, so made some Chapathi's too, to go along with it.We did have a good meal!

My two cents: This is not a curry which you can cook in less than 10 mins and such.It needs time as it involves puree. You really need to cook it well otherwise it will taste raw. So give time for it cook at each step.I learnt it the hard way and I used to blame myself saying ,'my veg curries never turn out good!' But now it does and I don't want you all to learn it that hard way! :)

15 Comments:

Satya said...

curry looks very delicious ....i too often face the same situation like ...u managed it very nicely ..yummy curry..have a nice week end Ria

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

Dori said...

Wonderful recipe, looks tasty!

My Kitchen Antics said...

I rarely make any veg curry as such..but recently we had some guests who were vegetarians and since it was short notice i decided pulao and veg curry..i was put in ur exact same position and then baby potatoes came to my rescue..i did the exact same procedure, except i used my pressure cooker 2 do the final cooking. Also added some meat masala along with the powders and it was done in no time.
thanks god for potatoes and of course the cooker :)

Divya Kudua said...

Potato is like my all time savior!!Our friends think we are insane to consume a kilo of potatoes in a month and I smile silently as its not one,sometimes 2 kilos,hehe!!Though nowadays,it has reduced considerably,I wouldn't mind this Aloo Makhani with my rotis for dinner!!I do try the onion-tomato puree base too,kind of an ever successful combo!!

Priya Suresh said...

Yummy looking curry, u done it very prefectly..

Unknown said...

I love veg curries (of course because I am a vegetarian). But, I dont make this kind of curries involving purees every day, it is only for special occasions.

Have a fantastic long weekend :)

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

thats a vegetable that is loved by all. the curry looks delicious and like the gorgeous click too.

Unknown said...

You learnt it?? Now? Seeing all the curries on here, I thought you were a seasoned pro! Lol!

Bharathy said...

Enjoyed reading the post :)..
The dish goes well with anything, steam rice, rotis, chappatis nan, fried rice, pooris...

But I think you should name it as aloo methi rather than makhani(buttery and gravy sort)since you'd added the flavourful fenugreek leaves :).

Lovely presentation!

Joyti said...

A good potato curry is always a good thing to have in one's arsenal: solid vegetarian and you can change it up by adding things! Yours looks particularly delicious. And the photos are lovely.

Torviewtoronto said...

first time here lovely post and curry
check out the event in my sites

Anonymous said...

First time here, too and waow!!
This curry looks delicious and your photos are gorgeous! (not only for this recipe!)

Lena Jayadev said...

enjoyed reading the post Ria.. curry looks super delicious..
im fine..we shifted to bglr frm pune..my baby Rithika is of 7months nw. started tellinn vaa, paa, maa, aa,ee n all..idea star singer junior il paranjayachu flat vangam ennu thonnunnu..lol..hwz married life..blog thakarkkunnundu..previous post kidilan tto..i never can layer a cake...murichal thavidu podi aakum..caKE GURU onnu upadesikku..

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A deliciously flavorful dish! Curry is one of my favorites dishes...

Cheers,

Rosa

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Wonderful and perfect. http://shanthisthaligai.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...