Ria's Collection: GOAN - STYLE DAL CURRY

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

GOAN - STYLE DAL CURRY

GOAN - STYLE DAL CURRY
The kids and I love to spend a lot time in our home library as well as public library. Everytime we go to the public library , we end up spending way too much time and bring back home way too many books. No matter how many times this has happened, I still carry just one reuseable bag to bring the books home. And after checkout, there will be so many more to carry and I would struggle to bring them all to the car in one go,while making sure Zarakutty doesn't wander away in the parking lot. She sometimes asks me to carry her on my hips as well while I am struggling to carry just the books alone!
GOAN - STYLE DAL CURRY
Anyway long story short, I've been cooking a lot from such borrowed cookbooks lately. I get bored very easily if I have to cook the same recipes over and over again. That list does not include our daily fare like Kachiyamoru, Meen Varuthathu, Thoran, Mezhukkupuratti , Beef Olathiyathu, Meen Vevichathu etc. Now you must be wondering what are the other things that can get me bored. Well, I like to have the above mentioned items for lunch and for dinner, something else. That's when I like to make to different things.
GOAN - STYLE DAL CURRY
This dal recipe comes from the celebrated author Madhur Jaffery's cookbook At Home with Madhur Jaffery and it's fantastic! It pairs really well with rice as well as rotis. I like to serve this kind of dal with plain white rice where as the dal made with ground coconut, basically our parippu curry with Matta rice. So I always have stock of varieties of rice at home. Basmati, Jeerakashala, Matta, Sona Masoori, Idli Rice...these are my pantry staples!

I have bookmarked so many other recipes from this book to try. Her recipes are so simple and easy to follow.
GOAN - STYLE DAL CURRY
Serves 4-5
IMG_670GOAN - STYLE DAL CURRY

Ingredients:
1 cup masoor dal *, washed and drained
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 packed cup chopped cilantro
1/2 -3/4 teaspoon red chili powder
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 medium onion, chopped
10-15 fresh curry leaves
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 big grated clove of garlic

Method: Pressure cook the dal with 3 cups of water and turmeric powder for 4-5 whistles. Once the pressure has settled, open the cooker and mash it completely.
Add the tomatoes,salt, cilantro and red chili powder. Bring to a simmer. Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 10 mins.Stir and turn off the heat.
Pour the oil into a small pan and on medium heat pop the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add the onions and curry leaves and fry till the onions start to brown. Add the ginger and garlic and stir for a minute. Then empty the contents into the cooked dal and stir to mix. Serve hot!

* You can use 1/2 cup masoor dal and 1/2 cup moong dal instead. This is what I used and it was delicious!

Whenever I share pictures of my dal on Instagram, I get questioned as to how I make it. Well, this is one way of cooking some delicious dal and it's incredibly easy as well. It pairs really well with white rice, chapathi, poori etc. I really hope you enjoy this curry as much as we did!

2 Comments:

Nostalgia said...

Hi Ria, i read your Goan dal curry recipe and seems to be an easy one to try. The ingredients section had a mention of 2 medium tomatoes peeled and chopped. But under the method, i could not find a mention of the tomatoes. Could you please let me know at what stage I should add the tomatoes?

Ria Mathew said...

Hi Jincy, thanks for pointing it out. I have edited the recipe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...