Ria's Collection: 1-2-3-4 NUTMEG CAKE with MOCHA GANACHE

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

1-2-3-4 NUTMEG CAKE with MOCHA GANACHE






I just survived one of the 'busiest' & 'demanding' week ever! PHEW! Was out of touch with my beloved blog, my twitter family and even my ongoing project -- a crochet traycloth :P
We have been on a 'hosting' mode for guests since 2 weeks ( it still continues ! ) and I also managed for a quick 'n' short one day trip to Bangalore for our 'Hostel Re-union'.It was maddening!! I hardly spent 10 hours in B'lore but almost 23 hours in the bus! ACK! Never mind! Loved every minute of it though!! :)


When I returned home, I was greeted by my most favourite niece Navya (8 yrs) and nephew Neev (5 yrs) & Nial. They are the cutest beings on earth! Nial is just 8 months old and is like a soft cotton pillow :D
Navya is a hardcore cake fan and I wasn't suprised to see Neev sporting a ' #1 Chocoholic' slogan on his T-shirt that day! :) How I wish I had such cute T-shirts when I was growing up :P

I needed a break from the hectic schedule and that's when I asked Navya to help me bake a cake and relieve my stress! Yes, baking does wonders to me! :)



So inorder to keep it simple and also to keep her involved  she read  the recipe aloud for me . She was so surprised to find how  granulated sugar could turn out to be smooth & soft  when ground in a mixie :) Then came a lot of questions about 'why do we need to use baking powder? ' why do we need to add eggs one by one? ' why is Riammai's  cake mould flexible? ' ( I used my silicone mould)  etc.

The best part was when I made the ganache! They  lined up in queue to do the taste test ;) and also to  lick the bowl clean once I am done with the frosting :)


1-2-3-4 NUTMEG CAKE with MOCHA GANACHE
Recipe source: Roshini

Ingredients:
Butter-1 cup
Sugar-2 cups, powdered
Flour-3 cups
Eggs-4
Baking powder-2 tsp
Milk-5-6 tbsp or as needed
Nutmeg - 1/2 to 1 tsp, freshly ground

Method:

  • Sieve flour, nutmeg and baking powder together.
  • Beat butter and sugar till soft and fluffy.Add in the eggs one at a time. Beat well.
  • Fold in the flour . Add milk to loosen batter if necessary.
  • Pour into a prepared tin and bake for 40-45 mins or till done.




MOCHA GANACHE


Ingredients
Chocolate-50 g
Fresh cream-50g
Instant coffee powder-1/2 to 1 tsp
Pistachio-5 nos.

Method:

  • Heat cream to a boil and pour over chopped chocolate. Set aside for 5 mins.
  • Add coffee powder and mix well till glossy.
  • Pour over the cake and decorate with grated pistachio.

 This cake is full of  flavour. For all those who dislike nutmeg kindly avoid it and continue baking.You can also substitute nutmeg for cinnamon/cardamom.If you like your cake to be nutty, throw in some walnuts or cashew nuts.This cake can be served with whipped cream or any ice cream of your choice...it will be a perfect dessert!






I am sending this post as an entry for Meeta's Monthly Mingle - High Tea Treats hosted by Aparna






16 Comments:

Divya Kudua said...

Wow Ria..you are back with another priceless recipe..truly a 1-2-3-4 cake.I shall try it with Cinnamon..:).

Me too back from Blr and struggling to catch up with Google reader..so many posts to read..:)

I am in love with the bundt pattern on your cake..:):)

Swapna said...

Another cake from you....Good one! It's been years I have made a nutmeg cake....now I also wanted to make one soon:)

Nithya said...

Wow.. it looks perfect :)

s said...

looks pretty as well as seems easy to make...

Bharti said...

A lovely treat for two little ones. It's always fun to bake with kids, isn't it?

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

God to see you're back. :)
Very pretty cake but the chocolate ganache is the best part for me too. Wouldn't mind that chocoholic t-shirt myself.
Thanks for joing us at High Tea

Meeta K. Wolff said...

this looks superb! lovely looking cake and a great entry! thank you!

Unknown said...

beautiful post dear, loved reading about your little assistants :) am sure you had a wonderful time baking with them.

mathew said...

looking really awesome..i love cakes which doesnt have any cream...the only exception being the black forest! ;)

Lena Jayadev said...

Riaaa....im was watching your program in surya tv...both dishes looks awesome..and great to knw that you got 6th place in pachakarani.. all vessels you used to mix things n all was really good..in some cookery show they use horrible vessels..and i liked that bracelet in your right hand...No wonder that you started cooking from 3rd standard..i was watching some other progrm..den Teena called me and asked to see Surya...It was a surprise to see u..i had missed your mom's program..but atleast you could have send an offliner by telling the time of program..@#%@$^#$^@$^..but anyway congrads dear... :)

Chef Jeena said...

Such an aromatic cake Ria it looks fantastic, love the chocolate ganache topping too YUM!

Finla said...

Wow that is one good and delcious looking budnt cake, i love love that drizzle on top.

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

Hi Queen of baking hearts. Nice pic n good recipe. Love the mocha ganache,.

Humaira said...

Hi Ria, New to your blog but I am already following and loving it. loves the cake and also the tiramisu looks amazing.I should start making some of of these on my blog!!

Unknown said...

hey ria dear

I saw your cooking show last saturday :)It was awesome!! great work dear, btw you've a sweet voice too :)

If you dont mind send your phone number to maria.jpmartin@gmail.com. Will try to call u sometime :)

Unknown said...

Hi Ria, I stopped by to say hello and also invite you to check out the event on my blog which is quite up your street :)

Cheers, priya

http://priyasnowserving.blogspot.com/2011/02/announcing-second-guest-event.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...