Ria's Collection: LET'S PICKLE SOME CHICKEN!

Monday, March 14, 2011

LET'S PICKLE SOME CHICKEN!

IMG_0949

I don't know how many of you have heard of  non -veg pickles, but I have and I LOVE them! I have eaten only beef ,fish and prawn pickle until I got married. When Jobin's mom visited us last year,we got to taste some delicious pork pickle. The last batch was getting over and Jobin suggested me making some more, to replenish the stock :-) Me as usual wanted to try something new and thought about pickling some chicken and chicken pickle it was!
Chicken Achar

My first pickle was a Stuffed Green Chilli Pickle and it was delicious. If my memory is correct ,it was followed by a garlic pickle. Now, after almost 3 years I am back with pickling something.I am making another 3 batches today...it's really good, really addictive!
IMG_0958

I had a recipe with me for sometime now but cannot recollect it's source.The best thing with this recipe is that, it's very easy and the only time you need is to fry the chicken and in the meantime you can prep the rest of the ingredients. It's a breeze! It tastes so good that it can be a good substitute for your Chicken curry :)
Chicken Achar

I have to hunt for empty bottles now...all these months I have been hunting for bottles to store my Homemade Grape Wine and now I have plenty of them :-D Our friends still ask me if I need bottles for wine and now I say,'No, thank you!' as I have to find storage space for them :-) If you are re-using bottles like I do, make sure you wash it very well and let it dry completely otherwise you will have weird looking white stuff growing over your pickle :)

IMG_0949KOZHI ACHAR/ CHICKEN PICKLE

Ingredients:
1/2 kg boneless chicken,cut into 1" pieces
1 tsp pepper powder
1 tsp mustard seeds
1c shallots/chumnulli sliced fine
2 tbso ginger, chopped
2 tbsp garlic,chopped
2 sprigs curry leaves
Salt to taste
3 tbsp red chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp asafoetida powder
1 tsp fenugreek powder
1 1/2 tsp garam masala

1 c gingelly oil ( I used canola oil)
Vinegar to taste

Method:
Wash,clean and drain the chicken .
Add salt and pepper powder and let it marinate for 1 hour.Deep fry till the pieces are crisp &brown in colour. If you fry it crisp, shelf life will increase. This will take about 20 minutes.Reserve the pieces.
In the same oil, pop the mustard seeds. Then add shallots,ginger, garlic & curry leaves one by one, giving a minute gap between each. Saute well.
Lower the flame and add the powders and mix well till the raw smell goes.
Add the deep fried chicken pieces to it and mix.Add vinegar to taste. Check for salt. Once it is cooled, transfer it to a clean bottle and use after one week.

* If at all you need more gravy, add some boiled and cooled water. 


Verdict: Absolutely delicious! Make a big batch because you are going to need it!

I am sending this to The Kerala Kitchen hosted by Magpie of Magpies Recipes. This time we are having a small challenge for those of you who are interested in Kerala Cuisine...to make my 12- layered Chatti Pathiri. So if you are ready, write to us at magpiemails AT gmail DOT com.

22 Comments:

Unknown said...

Pickle with chicken sounds a nice idea...

divya said...

Slurp, mouthwatering here, awesome clicks....

Tina said...

control poyeeeeee....mouthwatering n tempting dear.

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Ithu kollam...super aayittundu....


FunWidFud

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That is something new to me. I bet this pickle tastes delicious! Very interesting.

Cheers,

Rosa

amna said...

this is an amazing idea. i may end up making some of these as a one-off and store it just for me to eat. will take care of my cravings and i can get away with not making non veg too often too!

Archana said...

Looks delicious. Unfortunately will never be able to try it at home.But I love it. Please do collect your award from my place.

Justbeanme said...

U know one time i paid $300 dollars for bringing this delecacy from India to USa and after that never dared to even buy one!! :) U picture is tempting as always!! u know how to make ur readers n vieweres glued to ur blog.. !!!keep it coming..

Zareena said...

Hey Ria, I love non veg pickles a lot. I have a recipe of chicken pickle, but never tried that because all my effort will be wasted, as my Husband will finish the pickle the same day. . . :(

Priya Suresh said...

Very addictive and fingerlicking chicken pickle..yumm!

Cool Lassi(e) said...

This is quite a delicious looking pickle. I have only seen my Mallu friends eat non-veg pickles during college days.I have never attempted cause I was a vegetarian back then.

bhagz said...

its an excellent idea...and mouthwatering too...no one ever tried yet i think...

Brenda said...

I love most anything pickled, but haven't tried chicken. This sounds delicious. When my family visited Cairo a few months ago, we ordered their pickled vegetables and lemons. They were quite different than how we eat pickled food here in the States. Theirs was VERY VERY salty. Like a salt shaker in every bite. I didn't like that form of pickled!!

Rose from Magpies Recipes said...

Ria! What a co-incidence! Just last night my hubby was talking about pork pickle! How a mangalorean aunty in his neighborhood used to make it and he still remembers how good it was!
Is this the same recipe for the pork as well? Have been on a pork pickle recipe hunt since yesterday!

Sarah said...

wow.. sounds interesting... beef and fish are the only non-veg pickles i have tried... wish i could sample it though...

Priya dharshini said...

I jus lov chicken pickle..I tasted this once when i was in hostel,brought by my telugu friend....true substitute for chicken curry in a hurry....

Anonymous said...

Hi Riya,
Your pickle looks lovely and I will definitely be trying it soon. Will Let you know how it was :-)

Shireen said...

Slurp!! I'd never heard of a chicken pickle and wow! is my mouth watering already!! Thanks for this interesting recipe...I am going to try this out soon!

Unknown said...

I've never ever heard of pickling meat. This is so new, you're always doing that Ria! I know realise that Southern food is a whole different type of cuisine!

Anonymous said...

it sounds good though never heard it, prawn pickle is the only nveg version I have tried, will sure give a try

lakshmi said...

excellent reciepe..tried this pickle today and it was loved by all...thanks a lot ria!!

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL PICKLE RECEIPE MAM....HUGE FAN OF UR RECEIPES...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...