Ria's Collection: CHOCOLATE & BOSTON CREME DOUGHNUTS! It's Daring Baker's time once again!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

CHOCOLATE & BOSTON CREME DOUGHNUTS! It's Daring Baker's time once again!


T
here was a time when I could live only on doughnuts.Our college canteen sold the best ever doughnuts in the city plus it was sugar coated. Not that I needed a sugar high in college, but it was fun eating it as the sugar used to stick all over our mouth and our college stray dog(s) used to wait under our open mouths hoping they would get some piece of it and if they didn't, they would jump up, scare us and make sure we drop it for them. That's how 'Jumpy' got it's his name. Then there were eagles swooping down from the roof to snatch it from our hands! It was an adventure!

Here in US, after every Sunday Mass all of us would gather in the Church basement for 'Coffee & Rolls'. They would keep a variety of doughnuts,cinnamon roll, coffee etc and we can have a share of it. I wait for it everyweek because I get to pick my favourite Boston Creme Doughnuts.

A few days ago, I had a bad craving for the same but I didn't get a chance to buy and eat it. So while I was planning for the DB challenge, I knew what variety I had to make. And trust me,it came out exactly the same way! I have made Sugar Doughnuts and Perfect Chocolate Doughnuts before, but nothing's like this one.This recipe is a keeper .

The October 2010 Daring Bakers Challenge was hosted by Lori of Butter Me Up. Lori chose to challenge DBers to make doughnuts.She used several sources for her recipes including Alton Brown, Nancy Silverton, Kate Neumann and Epicurious.







BOSTON CREME DOUGHNUTS
Recipe source for the doughnuts: Alton Brown




Ingredients:
For the doughnuts:
Milk- 1 1/2 c
Unsalted butter-1/3 c
Yeast-4.5 tsp
Warm water- 1/3c
Eggs-2 large, lightly beaten
Sugar-1/4c
Salt-1 1/2 tsp
Flour- 4 2/3 c
Oil for deep frying. You need about 3 inches of oil in the pan.


For the chocolate glaze:
Recipe by Lara Ferroni . I got this recipe from Kamran's blog


Powdered sugar- 11/2 c
Cocoa powder- 4 tbsp
Milk/Water- 6-7 tbsp (or as needed)
Vanilla Extract-2 tsp

1 portion Creme Patissierie 

Method:
For the doughnuts:

  • Place the butter in a large mixing bowl.Heat the milk just to warm it through. Pour over the butter and mix together so that the butter melts with the heat from the milk.
  • In the meantime, add the yeast to the warm water and set aside for 5-10 mins or till foamy.
  • Add the yeast mixture, eggs, sugar, salt and half the flour to the butter-milk mixture and mix using the paddle attachement of your stand mixer or with a wooden spoon.
  • Once it's all mixed together, add in half the amount of flour and mix till incorporated.
  • Add in the remaining flour and knead/use the dough hook and mix for 3-4 mins of till the dough leaves the side of the bowl.
  • Place the dough in an oiled bowl and allow it to rise for 1 hour or till doubled in size.
  • Once it has doubled in size, dump it onto a well floured surface, roll and cut it into the shape you want.For Boston Creme Doughnuts, make plain rounds.
  • Arrange all the cut dough on a lightly floured cake tin/plate/chopping board, cover with a tea towel and allow it to rest for 30 mins.
  • Heat the oil to 360F/180C. Deep fry the doughnuts giving 1/2 a minute on each side.
  • Drain and reserve.



For filling:

  • Transfer the cooled creme pattisierie into a piping bag/ketchup bottle.
  • Poke a hole into the side of the doughnut and squeeze out some custard into it. You will feel the doughnut becoming heavy. Stop it there.
  • Dip it in chocolate glaze and allow it to set.


For the chocolate glaze:

  • Sift together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder to avoid any lumps.
  • Add in the milk/water and vanilla extract and mix to form a glaze . The consistency is upto you.
  • This glaze will thicken if you leave it unattended.You just need to add a few drops of milk/water to loosen it.
  • Dip the doughnuts in the glaze and allow it to set for 10 mins.



Verdict:
Soft as cotton would be the best way to describe these doughnuts. I couldn't resist so I had a bite of just-out-of-the-oil doughnuts. When I told Jobin that I am going to make doughnuts for DB today and asked for his preference, he said he wanted it plain. But the sometimes-creative-person in me went crazy with chocolate frosting and Boston Creme Doughnuts.


The recipe said it would make 24 doughnuts and 24 doughnut holes. But I got 48 of them!!! I immediately called him and asked him whether I could pack some for his office  and he obliged. When I asked him how it was recieved in the office, he said,' It got over in less that 5 mins,next time make some more :-)' Though he wanted only the plain ones, he ended up eating every variety :-) So did I.

Now,what are you waiting for? Try these immensely easy,delicious, hassle free doughnuts today!


43 Comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, am speechless..Wat a stunning and irresistible doughnuts..

Unknown said...

Donots cant get any better! What a luscious coat of chocolate. Amazing Ria!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Sooooo pretty and professional looking! You could easily sell them. I really love your version and shots. Terrific.

Cheers,

Rosa

shelley c. said...

Man, those look stunning - fantastic presentation on those donuts! And both varieties sound SO tasty. Great job!

Finla said...

Wowo you coated so thickly with chocolate, how i wish i could take a bite from one of them. Imagine sinking into them delcious.

Debugcooking said...

Wish I could take a bite of this totally chocolatey donuts...yr version is to die for Ria!

Sharon said...

not a doughnut fan myself..but i am still tempted to make em..amazing presentation...luved it!!!

Unknown said...

wow!!they luk so yummy!!cant wait to make them!hope i do it soon!

Amritha Kalyani said...

Great doughnuts Ria.. very tempting.. looks gorgeous..

UFRV said...

Wow, wow, wow. Beautiful decoration, great pics and superb challenge. Congrats from Madrid Spain!

Anonymous said...

They really do look stunning - the icing is so beautifully done! Yum!!

Unknown said...

they are one of my weakness..and they way u decorated them...oooohhh love it!

twistedkitchen said...

Wow! Those look just wonderful, and your photos are fantastic!

Ambika said...

Super! Boston Creme is my favorite too!!!!

Renuka said...

Amazing doughnuts and lovely photos, lovely lovely, you are truly talented.

Rachel said...

Those are some very perfectly done donuts.

The Betz Family said...

Those look beautiful! I am a sucker for anything chocolate and my husband is a big fan of the Boston Creme's. Nice job on the challenge!

Unknown said...

Stunning clicks....Perfect donuts...looks so tempting n yummy

wanderlust said...

Hi Ria,

I came to your blog through mishmash's. Awesome is all I can say about your psosts and the blog in whole.

Seeing your Pallikkuttumma and Kannur connetions, are you by any chance Vinil and Subha's niece?

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Ria, your doughnuts looka absolutely beautiful. Love the glazing work, they're almost too nice looking to eat. :)

Where have you been, btw? Very busy with the new life, huh? ;-)

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Beautiful Doughnuts Ria.. I loved the glaze..wonderful job. And yah almost settled in new place dear.

Nitha said...

Perfect and yummy donuts..

raj said...

vow,i never knew doughnuts r made this way,urs is xcellent,i'm ur hard core fan now.

Audax said...

Your glazing work on the doughnuts is the BEST I have seen on the net that chocolate on chocolate is superb. Excellent work on this challenge.

Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Pavithra Srihari said...

i am just dumbstruck ... what a picture !!! drool droool drooooolll drooooooooollll

RMM said...

OMG...It looks amazing..and so tempting...u sure r talented...u must go professional...seein them was really a pleasure to the taste buds ;)..cant imagine havin a bite !!!Reny.

Sarah said...

The decoration on them is beautiful. I love Boston Creams, too.

I tried the baked variety--the texture is a bit different, but they were still scrumptious. :)

Jamie said...

Ria, these are amazing! Perfect donuts and so gorgeous! And you made my absolute favorite donuts of all times: Boston Cream! Oooh lady now I am visiting you!

Divya Kudua said...

I haven't come across such pretty looking doughnuts ever before!!Agree with Aparna,they look too good to eat!!

Unknown said...

Hey Ria,

Iam mesmerised dear...Love 'em...Just followed you...I know it has taken me so long to land up here..i think i told you a month ago!!been busy!!:)

Dr.Sameena@

www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

Reshmi said...

i became a fan of doughnuts...such a surprise to my tummy ria...huhhhhhh

Renata said...

Ria, everything you do is always so special and it's no different with the doughnuts. The are beautifully decorated. The chocolate icing is so smooth and silky. Adorable!

Catalina said...

Oh my God! The chocolate decorated ones look so great and now I'm sorry that I didn't tried some with the creme patissierie, too, because it looks divine (so huge portion of it), yum!

Divya@The Craft Angel said...

Oh wow! Those donuts look absolutely gorgeous Ria!!

Yours Truly said...

holy macaroni, those are a bunch of god sent donuts! the chocolate ones look super delicious and the boston cream one just brings water to my mouth. such a great presentation!

AJ said...

Doughnuts look super!! Yumm love that glaze.

Unknown said...

These doughnuts look gorgeous Ria. The first picture has me drooling. Great styling :)

annu said...

Hey Ria!!! I'm a huge fan!!! A day doesnt go by without checking ur blog!!! I tried this doughnut recipe...n oh my god!!! they were indeed cotton soft!!! I owe it all to u!!! Thank u!!!

Anonymous said...

pure doughnut perfection
must try these this weekend!

Lynne Daley said...

What a glorious sheen on the chocolate doughnuts. Beautiful! Congratulations on your DMBLGiT win!

Soma said...

Congrats on a very well deserved win. This was a picture of perfection! Utterly delicious donuts composed beautifully.

Soma (www.ecurry.com)

taz19 said...

AWESOME!!! REALLYY LUVV DESEPICSS ND LUVV D DONUTS EVEN MORE!!!GUD WRK RIA!!!

Ritroviamoci in Cucina said...

Hello, I write from Italy. I must congratulate for these wonderful photos. Are among the most attractive I've ever seen among the various blogs.
If you wanna see me I'm very pleased ;o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...