Ria's Collection: MINI AUNTY'S CHOCOLATE CAKE

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

MINI AUNTY'S CHOCOLATE CAKE

Mini Aunty's Chocolate Cake
It doesn't usually happen this way...Jobin asking for a cake because there will be some cake at any point in our house,any time of the day. We ran out of cakes which means we were out of desserts after every meal! We don't need anything fancy, all the time but sometimes yes. When he asked me for a dessert the other day, I asked him what he wanted and he said that cake I made when newly-weds G &J came home for dinner. I knew it! He loves that cake and any cake made along that line.Finally we settled for a chocolate cake .
Mini Aunty's Chocolate Cake

So Chocolate Cake, huh? Hmm,I have umpteen choices in that one thing. Which one do I bake? Which one is my all time favourite? Which recipe  needs another try? Whose recipe should I try? Cookbook recipes or family recipes? Yes! Family recipe, it is!

Mini Aunty,Tia's mother,is one of my most favourite aunts! She is a fantastic cook! I love her cakes, savory pies,manga pacchadi,moru curry,meen curry,cheemmen fry ,beef olathiyathu and oh! how could I forget her paper thin ghee dosa's and thenga chammanthi! She made me a Dosa convert!
She is Amma's brother's wife and all their kids and we were of the similar age,so we all got along very very well! Infact all our vacations were spent together, we still do if we get a chance. This time, in September, right after her daughter's wedding,we went to visit Jobin's sister in Kashmir. That way, I'm so happy to have spent some quality time with her, after one and a half years!

Mini Aunty's Chocolate Cake
While I was studying in college, they lived in Bangalore for almost 3 years and I lived with them even though I was paying rent elsewhere :-) The power of lovely people and yummy food attracted me to their house. Mini aunty used to bake cakes once in a while and her chocolate cakes were really tasty. I got this recipe from her, long ago and she is very generous in sharing recipes, unlike a lot of other people who I personally know of! :-)
Mini Aunty's Chocolate CakeMini Aunty's Chocolate Cake 

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 c sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c butter, at room temperature
1 c warm milk
4 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla


Method:
Pre-heat the oven to 350 F and line a loaf tin.

Sieve flour, salt and baking soda together. Reserve.
In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 c warm milk with 4 tbsp cocoa.
In another big bowl, on high, beat together butter and sugar for a minute. Add the eggs and beat till light and fluffy.Add flour and 1/2 c milk alternately and beat until fluffy. Add the cocoa-milk mixture and vanilla and beat for a minute. Pour into the tin and bake for 45-50 mins or till done.

Enjoy!

So I'm finally back baking with our baking group : A Sweet Punch. I have been away for a long time now and I hope this cake bring me back to baking with the group regularly.

This is just a good old cocoa cake. I love it and infact I really think you all should try it sometime as it is going to be your favourite too! You can slice it horizonatlly into 2 or 3 and then sandwich it with some yummy chocolate fudge frosting and then cover it with some more. Sprinkle some sprinkles and then stick a candle or two to make it into a birthday cake! :-) Plus, if you are looking to give something exciting for your lil one this season, maybe you could take a look at these kids kitchen play sets!


27 Comments:

Sudha said...

The cake has left me drooling,Ria!To me,you are the ultimate cake-maker.And to know about someone you learn from is an added bonus:)Lovely rich chocolate cake - have bookmarked it for my next adventure!Thanks so much for sharing!

Tina said...

Beautiful clicks and cake riamme..

Vidhya Viju Govind said...

hi ria - beautiful cake .My friend called to ask me ,how i know u:)( she saw u on my friends list on fb )

i am told ur cakes are featured in the latest issue of vanitha .......I cant read malayalam that well ,said she will send me the copy....i will look that up.so happy for u!! congratulations & seasons greetings !!

Sarah said...

nothing beats deep dark chocolate cake! lovely pics...

Mitha said...

Wow am literally staring at the cake and drooling inside ..
definitely gonna bake this.
yes I have told my amma to get me an extra copy of Vanitha :-)
take care

Mitha said...

Wow am literally staring at the cake and drooling inside ..
definitely gonna bake this.
yes I have told my amma to get me an extra copy of Vanitha :-)
take care

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

It looks marvelous and so smooth! A divine cake.

Cheers,

Rosa

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Yummy Cake!!!! that deep Choco Color is very tempting!!!!

Priya Suresh said...

Beautiful and absolutely irresistible cake..

Tia said...

Kandichu thinnaan thonnunu!

Unknown said...

wow, that looks mouth watering.

Anu Menon said...

I love love love the clicks in this post... the rich dark chocolate and the royal red... beautiful!

Javelin Warrior said...

This post is absolutely fetish-worthy and I've been inspired to include it in my Friday Food Fetish blog. If you have any objections, please let me know

beti said...

it looks really cute and festive!

Vineetha Sush said...

This is my fav cake..my chocolate cake recipe is very much like this..lovely clicks!!

Shruti said...

i'd like two slices please ! love the texture of this cake :-) happy holidays ria !

PrathibhaSreejith said...

Chocolate cake looks really great :) I'm in love with your clicks, real good..
Glad to follow you, do check out my little space as well

Unknown said...

Hi Ria,
You have been missing from the blog scene for a while. Hope you are doing good.

Archana said...

Yummy cake.love the colours

notyet100 said...

Cake looks so good,wish ya great year ahead,

Yatrika said...

Hi Ria,

Tried this cake today and it came out great.. thanks for taking the effort to post the recipe.. This was the first recipe I tried from your blog and looks like I am already addicted! Your blog looks fab and I'll most likely make the stuffed bun recipe of your mom's this weekend :) Thanks again for sharing and keep up the good job!

PS: I totally got it when you talked about people who wouldn't share their recipes! One of my aunts have a recipe for this awesome ultra moist gooey chocolate cake which she bakes every time I visit her (she know that is my favorite) but will never share the recipe with me!!

-Preets

Unknown said...

hi Ria, the cake looks yummy i have a question is this baking soda and soda bicarbonate are the same.i read somewhere that (baking soda needs an acid to create the rising quality, it is often used in recipes where there is already an acidic ingredient present, such as lemon juice, chocolate, buttermilk or honey).can i substitute baking powder for baking soda.thanks for your wonderful recipes dear.

Ria Mathew said...

Yatrika, thank you so much! Some people never change! ;-)

Unknown, you are correct! :-)
Here cocoa powder has an acidic content in it and that's why baking soda / soda bicarbonate is used :)Most of the cocoa based cakes will be using baking soda.
I hope you like it!

Unknown said...

Hi Ria! This cake is awesome! I definitely will be looking forward making this. This cake is perfect in my next visit to my moms.

Regards,
Haley McAdams
Texas Food Handlers

Ceee... said...

Made this - and its jumped right on top of my chocolate cake recipe list... It fabulous! Thanks Ria :)

aju joseph said...

hai ria chechi>..minianty's cake is my next adventure...ria chechi pls add pumpkin cake ...

Ankita said...

I have tried this recipe almost three or four times now and I can vouch for it it's one of the easiest yummiest and foolproof recipe.i first made it and covered it with chocolate ganache and the second time I baked three batches of this cake and covered it with fondant for a birthday cake order and it was yummy and moist.everyone loved it.a big thanks to ria for helping me out with my queries and also for sharing this fab recipe .😍😍😍

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...