Ria's Collection: CHOCOLATE & STRAWBERRY TRIFLE PUDDING

Friday, August 27, 2010

CHOCOLATE & STRAWBERRY TRIFLE PUDDING


Maybe it's the sheer pleasure of digging into all the layers and trying to eat that whole thing in one shot ...I simply love layered desserts! I have been making quite a few in the last one year. Tiramisu Cake in a Cup, Vanilla Butter Cake with Creme Patissierie and Vanilla Strawberry Compote,Viennese Chocolate Genoise Sponge with Strawberry Mascarpone, Mocha Chocolate Mascarpone Verrine etc are some of them.

Desserts play an important part of my life & my meals. I think Jobin is also getting hooked to it.He asks for a dessert after every meal ( no! not after brekky though :-D  ).


A few days ago, I went shopping to the Mall of America and I found an adorable fridge magnet which said, 'Life is short, eat dessert first'. My heart didn't allow me to leave it behind, so now, it adorns my fridge. We already have plenty of magnets from all our trips, but this one has a special place though.I did  a re-positioning of my other magnets so that I can give this one special attention, everyday. It reminds me to eat dessert everyday ;-)

As far as the name of my blog goes, it's mostly collected recipes. Though these days I use books from the library too.This recipe is a perfect testimony of the reason and the name behind my blog. 

Recipe's bloodline: My mom. My mom got it from her twin -sis , Daisy. Daisy got it from her husband's sister's daughter, Thresi Ramapuram.

Ingredients:
Sponge Cake- 1 (made using 3 eggs,1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar)
Custard powder-2 tbsp (vanilla flavoured)
Semi-sweet chocolate- 200g, chopped fine
Milk- 300 ml
Sugar-2 tbsp
Heavy cream/Fresh Cream- 300 ml
Fruits of your choice- 350 g, cut up into bite sized pieces.
Jam-4 tbsp ( I used Homemade Cherry & Pluot Jam)
Rum/Brandy/Medium Sherry/Any other soaking liquid- 6 tbsp ( I used rum and brandy)

Method:       
  • Cut the sponge cake into small squares (size is upto you) and sandwich them together with jam. ( I slit the whole cake into 2, horizontally and sandwiched it with jam. Then I cut them into squares.)
  • Line the bottom of a dish with the sandwiched sponge squares and sprinkle the soaking liquid over it.
  • Spinkle 1/2 the quantity of prepared fruits over it and refrigerate it while you make the custard.
  • In a heavy bottomed saucepan, mix together the custard powder, sugar and milk. Boil till thick.
  • Add the chocolate and stir till blended and cooled.
  • Pour over the fruit layer. Refrigerate it while you whip up the cream.
  • Beat the cream to soft but firm peaks and spoon over the chocolate layer. You can sweeten the cream if you wish to.
  • Decorate the top with the remaining fruits and chill it (well covered with a clingwrap) till you serve.


Verdict: I don't think I need to brag about how much we enjoyed digging into each layers. We enjoyed our first share (taste-testing or whatever that excuse maybe) in individual trifle glasses.The next day, we dug into the big bowl.

You can use any kind of fruits for this. My Amma uses mangoes, apples and pomegranates.        
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The winner of my postcard giveaway is comment no:8 Priya Yallapantula Mitharwal. Congratulations Priya!! I shall get in touch with you for details. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you all for participating! I now know why you all come back to my blog! xo


14 Comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A delightful dessert and gorgeous pictures!

Cheers,

Rosa

Divya Kudua said...

I think I just got my forever-searched for Trifle Pudding recipe.I had it a friends place in Ekm once and been looking for that recipe.Lakshmi Nair's recipe comes very close to this but the custard is not chocolate flavored!!I am going to try this..with orange juice as the soaking liquid!!Love you for this recipe..thanks!!

Nivedita Thadani said...

Congratulations to the winner Priya.

Nithya said...

This looks stunningly delicious :) yummm :)

Priya Suresh said...

Irresisitible trifle with stunning clicks..soooo tempting..

Unknown said...

What a wonderful looking trifle pudding. I always trifle puddings and cakes :)

And, wow, I cannot believe my eyes, I am so happy that I won.

Nachiketa said...

Absolute DELIGHT... loved this trifle.....
Dessert first is totally my motto too... just had hazelnut chocolate before dinner...
what if it disappeared? better it disappears in my mouth than elsewhere :)
Fabulous pictures :)

Swapna said...

Beautiful picture of Trifle pudding Ria...

Ally said...

ooh lala ria!

Unknown said...

Hey Ria,
I tried this recipe and it came out just awesome...
Thanks for such a simple recipe... It tastes delicious...Keep posting such recipes and we'll keep trying :-)...

Unknown said...

I love making trifles! They are so pretty, and easy!! That is one decadent looking custard. Bookmarked.

P.S - You misspelled pluot!

C Me said...

Hey Ria...
Lovely recipe and pics..
Is the sponge cake make with excatly what u mentioned?? No Baking powder or soda?

C Me said...

Hey Ria...
Lovely recipe and pics..
Is the sponge cake make with excatly what u mentioned?? No Baking powder or soda?

Unknown said...

Oh! Ria, you are such a darling. Tried out the triffle and it came out really well. And I wanted to write this while I'm enjoying a spoonful. Used mangoes & peaches and orange juice for soaking. When I made it I felt the quantity was so much that it would take days to finish it, but let me be frank, the triffle just vanished in minutes that I could not even save a bit for my friend whoz visiting us today evening. It was just Yum Yum Yummy.
Being an addict of your blog, I'll keep on trying your recipes and I'm sure the result will be great.( But I really wish I could take classes from you on the presentation of food prepared, and you capture them to the lens very well. I just keep drooling over your snaps)

Keep blogging,
Wish you all the best.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...