Ria's Collection: Gobi Manchurian

Monday, May 4, 2009

Gobi Manchurian



One of my favourites and the food I eat with great care ( rather scrutiny for the fear of eating fried.. hehe..u all know that ;D ) No matter how many news/stories I hear about people being attacked by the cauliflower 'wrigglies' ;D I can never resist this wonderful crispy,juicy,saucy dish.This is a definate 'order' for our every meal @ a hotel. I have tried making it many a time at home but this recipe fits in perfectly. The main reason being, the fried flowerets do not stick to each other unlike the other recipes which I happen to try out and it remains crunchy till the last bite. I always wash cauliflower using a bit of turmeric powder and salt.


Gobi Manchurian: My Amma's version
A very famous Indian street food

Cauliflower-500g (separate the flowerets into bite sized pieces)
Egg white-1
Soya sauce-2 tbsp
Pepper powder-1 tsp
Salt-to taste
Corn flour-1 cup
Flour-1 cup
Oil for deep frying

Mix cauliflower with salt and microwave it for 2 mins.
Add rest of the ingredients to it and mix well
Keep it aside for 30 mins.
Deep fry till crisp.

For the dry gravy:
Oil-4tbsp
Onions-2 medium
Green chilli -2
Ginger garlic paste-2 tbsp
Tomato sauce-2 tbsp
Soy sauce-1 tbsp
Vinegar-1/2 tsp
Salt & pepper-to taste
Coriander leaves- a small bunch

Heat oil. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till a nice aroma come.
Add onions, green chillies & sauté till transparent and soft.
Lower the flame and add the sauces.
Mix well. Add vinegar. Check for salt and pepper.
Add the fried cauliflower flowerets.Stir well to coat all over.
Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot! (it hardly has a gravy, it will be thickly coated. If gravy is needed… dilute 2 tbsp corn flour with 1 cup of water and add to it... let it boil and thicken.)

Dry Gobi Manchurian can be served as a starter.
Now, after trying my mom's recipe, I wonder why on earth did I even attempt others when I had such a good one ! :D This recipe is simple & a bit hit wherever it was served!! Thanks Amma!!! This is one of the recipes featured in her cookery classes.
-Ria

19 Comments:

SindhuBhairavi said...

hey thats mouth watering!!!

thanks for sharing!!!

take care..

Justin said...

wow, this really looks fantastic. and normally I get a little intimidated about making indian food at home (though I've definitely tried ), but this recipe seems like something I could handle.

Sakshi said...

hey am gonna make this tonight...had such a craving for it but was too lazy to make but ur blog did the trick. will be skipping the egg as my hubby is allergic to it but hope it will still be fine. Will let u know how it came out gal..nice tempting pics

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

wow these look so appetizing! good one.

Renuka said...

wow..it looks perfect..

veena said...

Hi Ria..
I love gobi manchurian ..urs looks simply supreb ..great ..
keep in touch
love
veena

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

Oh my god! Ria, u can start a restaurant. Ur food looks so good.u CAN BE THE CHEF AND I'LL BE THE CASHIER ;)

Rush said...

my absolute favorite :)

Varsha Vipins said...

Kidu look moleee..:)..I use tomato sauce n hot sauce also for the marinade..adipolii

Ria Mathew said...

Sindhu-Thank you!

Justin-Thank you!!Indian cooking is not all that hectic :)We do have lenghty and very easy breezy recipes too :D This ones falls in the easy category!! :) So do try it sometime :)

Sakshi-Thanks for trying, let me know how it turned out especially since you r making it without the eggs :)

Mahimaa,Renuka-Thank you so much!!

Veena-Thank you! And will surely keep in touch :)

Sakshi- Thank you so much for your compliments!! I would love to start one :) Will definately put u in as the cashier :D

Nikki-Thank you so much for coming up with that blog :) And thanks for stopping by...do come back for more!!

Rush-Thank you!!!Nice to see you here!Do come back for more! :)

Varsha-Thank you!! O wow!Your versions sounds yummm!! Have you got the recipe on your blog???

Dori said...

A dish full of this would cheer me up :)

Pooja said...

Wow looks yummy! Perfect. I love Gobi manchurian :)

Ria Mathew said...

Meeso- Ahhh!! Good to know that it would cheer you up!! :)

Pooja-Thank you!! :) Same pinch!! Even I LOVE it :D

Irene said...

Ria,

My mouth is watering again. Yummm yummm yummm

sreesu said...

Ohh..it's absolutely mouthwatering..
New to u r blog ..it's gr8.:)

Ria Mathew said...

Flower beauty ,Sreesu- Thank you gurls!! :)

RMM said...

ur blog is just grt....i agree its a very very popular indian street food...reminds me of my college days...there was a vendor near our college gate who made absolutely grt manchurians...could never replicate them...will definitely try this...but again one ques...why do u microwave the cauliflower in the beg. is it to get it dried completely ..??...keep up the good work...

Ria Mathew said...

Reny- I bet everybody has this so called manchurian vendor near their colleges! Even we had one :D

I microwaved it so that water oozez out of the cauliflower.. thats because salt is added.. and that amount of water is enough for the batter...because if the batter consistency is not proper then the fried cauliflower will either be stone crisp or soggy. I felt doing it this way is PERFECT!! :)

Hope you like it! Let me know!! :D

Tashia said...

Errol sent me your blog and I'm SO excited to find a recipe for gobi manchurian here! I look forward to following your blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...