Ria's Collection: A beautiful result of an inspiration - Marble Cake

Thursday, May 14, 2009

A beautiful result of an inspiration - Marble Cake

I am no one big to be inspired from but still when someone in doubt asks me to share my lil knowledge with her... I definately will try and possibly give her all the details she needs :) Manju , my friend, my neighbour, and my super super senior in school asked me for my help! That's actually the first time someone is asking a help from me with regard to cooking! I am an amateur but I was thinking ... "So what! I can still share whatever I know!"
And that's how the whole thing started. We exchanged many many e-mails starting from what pans ,equipments etc should be bought prior to starting the adventure with baking from scratch. I told her its wise to get the basic shapes for the tins,to invest in measuring spoons, weighing scales, spatula, etc... And she was very excited that they were moving to Singapore and they had an oven there :) I must say even I was excited!!!

She did her share of wise shopping and I did my share of compiling few simple recipes I could lay my hands onto. The first recipe that she baked was the American Brownie .It was a huge hit at her place and her hubby Anand took a share of it to his office!! You cannot imagine how happy I was when she told me all this!! :D Aahhh ..........
She always wanted a marble cake recipe because her sons Yash & Harsh loved them! And I kept promising that I will send it across and somehow it slipped my mind and the request was granted last Saturday! :D Bad Girl Ria!!!! :P

So finally let me unveil the Inspirational Marble Cake: The clicks were sent to me by Manju and I edited them ( just added the title :D)



Marble Cake:
Recipe source- My mom

Maida/|All purpose flour 120g
Butter 120g
Sugar 120 g
Eggs 3 big or 120 g ( 1 egg is approx 45-50 g)
Cocoa powder 1 tbsp
Baking powder 1/2 tsp
Vanilla essence 1/4 tsp
Hot water 4 tbsp
  • Dilute cocoa in water and make a lump free paste.Keep aside.
  • In a mixing bowl, add the other ingredients together and beat well.Divide it into 2. In one , add the cocoa mixture.
  • Take a baking tin.. pour the 2 coloured batter alternately..one spoon of brown..one spoon of white... its all left to your imagination :)
  • Then take a toothpick/skewer.. and give it a swirl so that it creates a marbled effect .
  • Pre heat the oven for 5 mins.Bake it at 180 C for 20 mins or till a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean :)
  • Tada!!!! :) Marble cake is ready!!!!! :D
  • This cake will yield around 500 g ( u need to add the weight of the main ingredients used) Its an equal proportion cake.
Here's some more of her baked goods: Recipe source Joy of Baking
Pound Cake-My tummy is growling!!! :( I want a piece of it as 'Gurudhaskina' :)


Chocochip Muffins: Recipe source Joy of Baking



She is an express... can give Nigella a tough competiton!! :D She baked the cake last evening and this morning when I opend my inbox I saw that lovely mail of hers which is the reason behind this post! She sent me her lovely clicks of the marble cake she made!! Only if I wasn't in my office then... I would have been screaming with joy!!! All I could do now was to have a BIG smile on my face!! :D You made my day Manju Chechy!!!!
Verdict: I copied & pasted it from the e-mail she sent me this morning
"marble cake turned out yummy n soft! very tasty. i shud have measured sugar properly. wud have been even better if there was a bit more of sugar. anand wanted to take whole thing to office, i said no way. my boys will love it. they havent seen it. made it after they slept last night! thanks a lot for all the tips dear... will show yash when he's back from school. i also sen these in his snack box. i like the fact that its home made n i know what exactly has gone into it! do share more recipes coz ur my inspiration! (That's a magical word!! :D )
And one more thing!!! I took a screen shot of her family pics from Orkut, edited them and used it .. Sorry Manju Chechy.. I had to make it a complete suprise!! Don't worry! I will not hack your profile :D
Hopefully I could put in my excitement all throughout the post :) I'm sure it's not conveyed completely though :D
P.s. This post is a gift from me (virtual LOL) for your love & interst in baking. That reminds me of my grandmom, she used to gift me Cadbury's Dairy Milk Chocolate everytime I cooked something good while I was growing up! She is no more... maybe I take after her this way :) Miss you mamma!
-Ria

19 Comments:

Mystery mom said...

ria! that was a pleasant surprise! sooooooooo sweeeeet of u! i will cherish this forever! and yes keep posting new yummy recipes so that i can make my boys more happy!

Unknown said...

Hey Ria, you dont know me, I am Manju's friend from UK, but the virtual compliments travel fast! So sweet of you to inspire and share ur inspiration with us. U might not know, but u may well inspire lots more around (including me). Happy Cooking n God bless. :)

Sakshi said...

Blogging is so sweet no?? I truly understand how you feel...just had the same experience a few days ago. So sweet of Manju to send you all that pics and mail and you are as sweet and gorgeous like your cakes...

hugss enjoy

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

Ria, I loved this post. I love baking too and I thoroughly enjoy your blog for the great bakes you share.So, it's actually no big wonder fro me that Manju was inspired by you. I mean........I'm sure there are many more out there:)
From the snaps I see that Manju has become a super baker now. Cool.
Now, do u know the best part of all this? WHen her kids see the cake and smile with joy, you can be proud that you and Manju are the reason for that smile.
Keep going gal. We love u( and ur blog).

Arlene Delloro said...

I'm guessing maida is flour. Your marble cake looks moist and delicious!

Dori said...

How nice that she got to bake... everyone has some great ideas to share :)

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

Check out blog today at 10 a.m. Have something for u.

Renuka said...

That was quite a post.. Loved reading it and the marble cake looks delicious..i want a bite:(

Ammu said...

Ria, thats lovely. Even I like to bake from scratch. Nice blog. Love to visit again.

Ria Mathew said...

Manju-This suprise wouldn't have happened if you din't bake the cake! So thank you!!! :)And yes I will definately continue posting :)

Guncha-That was so sweet of you to visit my blog and leave a comment too!! Thank you soo much & I hope that you will also join the band wagon very soon!!

Sakshi-You are 110% correct!! I'm so glad that you have also experienced such a thing! It's worth it!! :) Thank you so much!!

Smits- I have no words to describe what I feel now.. will just a plain Thank you be alright?? :D I know! I'm so happy that I could bring a smile on their faces!! Thanks for all your support!! Cheers!!! :D Love ya!!

Arlene-Thank you so much... and yes! Maida is flour... I have made the change in my post :)Thanks for pointing out that! ;D

Meeso-Thank you soo much!! :) Hope you are feeling better now!!

Smits-You go girl!! Thank you so much for the award!! :D

Renuka-Thank you dear for you lovely words and for following my blog!! :) I'll surely have an extra piece of cake for you!! :)

Ammu-Thank you!! :) Yes,do come back :) Would love to see more of you!! :)

Unknown said...

Nice post! Lovely bakes and the marble cake looks pretty!

Usha said...

Wow!!!! thats a lovely post...!!! I saw the pics on orkut, but reading the story here makes me feel so proud of u...!!!! :D way to go ria...!!!!

RMM said...

Hi...am a cookin crazy mom...who usually doesnt have time for elaborate cookin....but ...thats a beautiful post...i loved reading it and the cake looks just yummy and the swirls ..so perfect...will definitely try it and i m sure my boys will love it ....It was sweet of u to share it with so many people...Happy cookin and god bless:)

Ria Mathew said...

Divya-Thank you so much dear!! :)

Usha-Ushaaaaaaa my love!! Ahh missing u soo much!! Waiting to catch up with you sooon!! :))
Thank you so much dear!! Finally you are proud of me!! Mmmmmwwwwaaaahhhh!!

Reny-Thank you so much for lovely words!! :)Do make it and let me know! Feels soo good to bring smiles on so many faces!! Do come back! Would love to see you again!! :)

Jamie said...

Ria, this looks like a great recipe and that cake looks tender and moist. I will try it! Thanks!

And I love Joy of Baking recipes, too!

Unknown said...

hi ria i am a regular visitor of this site. i tried your honey glazed almonds and it was a big hit.thanks for it.
this time i wanted to make your marble cake. but i dont have any measuring cups.usually when i make cakes i use the normal tea cup for 1 cup.in this recipe flour is 120g .i searched the net and it shows 120g = 1 cup. can i take 1 cup tea cup flour for 120g.

Ria Mathew said...

Jamie- Thanks, do let me know how you like it.

Suhail- Thank you so much for trying out my recipe :) I am so glad that you liked it :)

I am not sure how big your tea cup is.Since you use that for making your other cakes, I am sure you can go ahead with the cup that you have :-)

Do let me know how you liked it :)

Justbeanme said...

I am on the top of the world!!
u no y.... my marble cake was just perfect... no cracks.. no mess, not uncooked n so on..!! first time a cake came so close 2 perfection for me!! Ria kutti thank u so much!!
I made in a a loaf pan and also a tried a miniature version bunt cake!!So this y u inspire

Mitha said...

Hi Ria
i tried your marble cake yesterday.
But I wish Icould have baked it a bit more time. though skewer came out dry!!
but still it was bit chewy in the middle.
thanks for the recipe !!!
please do share the step by step simple frosting recipes too
Thank You

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...